Chris Hughton

Dr Gloom

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ashley deserves little credit for unearthing hughton- to him he was the cheap option. But sometimes you stumble upon a manager that doesn't come with a big reputation or personality and isn't fancied to do a great job yet turns out to be a gem. Ashley may have accidentally stumbled across the right fit for us.

Refusing to acknowledge that Ashley or somebody who works for him could have made a good judge of character in appointing Hughton. Harsh imo.

Hardly, it wasn't some kind of cunning master Plan, Ashely got Hughton because he was cheap, luckily for us he seems to be the real deal, so the fat lad gets no credit from me

What about Ashley was impressed with him so gave him a chance? I don't think cost is a massive issue. He'll get a contract I'm fairly sure about that. The club has made Carroll a decent enough offer to secure him for 5 years, the cost cutting is seemingly over I get the feeling it's all about steady progress from here. I don't blame the club for wanting Hughton to earn his big deal. How much the club has lost from paying managers off over the last decade will bring a tear to the eye. I do think it's a pressing issue now though and needs sorting asap, if only as a statement of intent.

Thing I like about him is he isn't stubborn. He learns from his mistakes and isn't afraid to change things if it isn't working

It's great isn't it? Even Sir Bob was stubborn to a certain extent (the love of Jenas/petty dislike of Nobby). Hughton is willing to admit he doesn't know best and tinker if he thinks he's getting it wrong.

Where's all this fans' unrest with him too though? I know he was getting a bit of grief after the likes of Blackpool and Stoke.. not by myself mind...

I liked the guy since the pre-Shearer 3 game management days, i'm proud to say..

But two lads at work were on to me here... "How could ye want him out... The fans want him out..."

Where's this coming from? Plus, anyone who was on his back to leave and now is on his side, put yer hands up.. You got it wrong.. end of.. Would have said it then too, but i've got a pudding now!

Well, half a one..!

When he was talking about the support yesterday sticking with the team through thick and thin, i was really hoping he was going to refer back to some of our away attendances last season against some unfashionable opposition. I reckon it was going through his mind but stopped himself because it would not have been polite. :icon_lol:

Nice quotes in yesterday's Sunday Sun too about him falling in love with the region and calling us a 'magnificent club'. I was ready to bend over before yesterday's result, obviously now am gagging for it.

Absolutely love him.

Edited by ChezGiven

Ashley deserves little credit for unearthing hughton- to him he was the cheap option. But sometimes you stumble upon a manager that doesn't come with a big reputation or personality and isn't fancied to do a great job yet turns out to be a gem. Ashley may have accidentally stumbled across the right fit for us.

Refusing to acknowledge that Ashley or somebody who works for him could have made a good judge of character in appointing Hughton. Harsh imo.

:icon_lol:

In contemporary football - so far - could Hughton's achievements be compared to Keegan's first Premier League season?

Big if but if we manage to beat Blackburn and Fulham then the phrase 'storming the premiership' would not be inappropriate. Bit early for that yet though.

In contemporary football - so far - could Hughton's achievements be compared to Keegan's first Premier League season?

if we can keep this up for the season, then yes. a top half finish, let alone a top6 or top 8 finish would be different class.

Yeh I mean could you compare a top half finish* in this league with finishing 3rd in 1994?

I think the Premier League is a little more consistent these days that's all.

*Not saying that's going to happen - still happy staying in the league.

Considering the state of the club when we went down, the players he was left with and the atmosphere round the club.

Given the way Ashley and co went on last season, and the lack of support or any form of leadership from above this season,what he has acheived in the last season and a quarter is nothing short of astonishing.

The way he has conducted himself in interviews after the last two games when pressed about his contract, as he has conducted himself throughout is impeccable.

I love him

Considering the state of the club when we went down, the players he was left with and the atmosphere round the club.

Given the way Ashley and co went on last season, and the lack of support or any form of leadership from above this season,what he has acheived in the last season and a quarter is nothing short of astonishing.

The way he has conducted himself in interviews after the last two games when pressed about his contract, as he has conducted himself throughout is impeccable.

I love him

Couldn't have said it better myself. I find it doubly hilarious that Fat Sam was arrogant enough to think he could calm Barton down but Hughton is the man that seems to have done it.

I love him

Totally, I think he's a great bloke. Don't blow this, Ashley.

I love him

:lol:

:icon_lol: