Nolan

Park Life

Some people are suggeting on NO that Nolan himself was suggesting substitutions, not sure how true this is, but it's kind of worrying, as it suggests that along with all the 'dressing room clique' rumours and the fact that he is 'Captain', he is pretty much undroppable. I wouldn't have made him captain in the first place, but now it seems we are caught between a rock and a hard place. Doesn't contribute much to overall team play, isn't very mobile but gets the odd goal.

What's to be done?

Some people are suggeting on NO that Nolan himself was suggesting substitutions, not sure how true this is, but it's kind of worrying, as it suggests that along with all the 'dressing room clique' rumours and the fact that he is 'Captain', he is pretty much undroppable. I wouldn't have made him captain in the first place, but now it seems we are caught between a rock and a hard place. Doesn't contribute much to overall team play, isn't very mobile but gets the odd goal.

What's to be done?

good leader, but the wrong choice as captain if he isn't going to play every game, and he shouldn't play every game.

How long is it since we had some pace in midfield and a real box to box midfield player who can get ahead of the front men ?

I don't think its fair on Hughton to say Nolan has any say on things like that. Even if Nolan was suggesting things, which theres no proof of, Hughton is going to do what he wants and thinks is best.

As for Nolan the palyer, if he doesn't score or set one up in or around the box in a game there's a problem because he offers little else and leaves us lacking in midfield and attack simultaneously. Because he's now missed 2 or 3 good chances against wolves and another yesterday, for me his place should be under pressure as his all round performances aren't great, he needs the goals.

I don't think its fair on Hughton to say Nolan has any say on things like that. Even if Nolan was suggesting things, which theres no proof of, Hughton is going to do what he wants and thinks is best.

As for Nolan the palyer, if he doesn't score or set one up in or around the box in a game there's a problem because he offers little else and leaves us lacking in midfield and attack simultaneously. Because he's now missed 2 or 3 good chances against wolves and another yesterday, for me his place should be under pressure as his all round performances aren't great, he needs the goals.

You think he'll get 'the goals'?

As a captain he is goin to have an influence. Personally barton is the one to be dropped.

Rotate ben arfa with nolan upfront and in midfield simultaniously.

Ridiculous to say Barton should be dropped ahead of Smith or Nolan imo.

You think he'll get 'the goals'?

I suspect he won't get enough to cover for what he lacks elsewhere sadly, he should already have 4 in the bag so far and if he had taken them he'd be worth his place.

As a captain he is goin to have an influence. Personally barton is the one to be dropped.

Rotate ben arfa with nolan upfront and in midfield simultaniously.

Ridiculous to say Barton should be dropped ahead of Smith or Nolan imo.

Yeah, Barton was poor first half againt Blackpool (though his set pieces were still canny) and average second half, but he's well ahead of Smith and Nolan in performances this season.

What's to be done?

good leader, but the wrong choice as captain if he isn't going to play every game, and he shouldn't play every game.

How long is it since we had some pace in midfield and a real box to box midfield player who can get ahead of the front men ?

I think you're spot on there. As I was saying after the game I don't have a problem with Smith and Nolan being the old heads in the changing room and having the manager's ear / giving him some support etc., as well as being good characters who help team spirit and so on. However, if that means they're going to be almost automatic choices then I do have a problem with their influence.

The midfield needs an overhaul, tbh.

Nolan and Smith - only one of them can play at the same time at best.

Routledge isn't good enough, and Guitierrez is good but doesn't score goals so its absolutely essential someone else in midfield gets goals.

Barton has started the season well, until yesterday, but also tbh both he and Nolan have not been as good for us as they were for their previous clubs. For whatever reason, injuries, lost an edge. Or maybe I should have put them in the "overrated" thread.

Edit.

Whether you think we need a quick attacking midfield player, or a mobile quick player up front [or both] in the end it comes down to the fact that Carroll is isolated too much, especially in home games and obviously the Villa game was a one off where everything went right on the day

Edited by LeazesMag

Routledge isn't good enough, and Guitierrez is good but doesn't score goals so its absolutely essential someone else in midfield gets goals.

Barton has started the season well, until yesterday, but also tbh both he and Nolan have not been as good for us as they were for their previous clubs. For whatever reason, injuries, lost an edge. Or maybe I should have put them in the "overrated" thread.

Wouldn't write-off Routledge yet personally. I think he needs to concentrate on doing his job as a RW, hugging the touchline and taking on the full-back. Think the midfield overhaul should also come in the form of the people already at the club starting, Tiote and Ben Arfa. Because if they are better than what we've got we're in bother.

Wouldn't write-off Routledge yet personally. I think he needs to concentrate on doing his job as a RW, hugging the touchline and taking on the full-back. Think the midfield overhaul should also come in the form of the people already at the club starting, Tiote and Ben Arfa. Because if they are better than what we've got we're in bother.

aren't ?

Yes, you're right.

aren't ?

Yes, you're right.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Re: Routledge what was frustrating was the LB was shitting himself early on but he didn't seem to capitalise on that. Wingers rely on service / the CM battle being won as well though.

Edited by alex

Think Routledge has done alright since his return to the PL, he is certainly a very good out ball and gets into postive areas quickly, which Jonas rarely manages. Our greatest problem in mf is that barton, smith and Nolan are all too similar (barton as an attacking force is marginally better).

Need to be plAying tiote for smith and barfa for Nolan, those two changes switch the midfield from pedestrian and dangerous to onethat has pace, drive and a creative spark

Edited by Andrew

Need to be plAying tiote for smith and barfa for Nolan, those two changes switch the midfield from pedestrian and dangerous to onethat has pace, drive and a creative spark

Spot on - it was daft playing what was, essentially, last seasons away formation at home to Blackpool - it left Carroll isolated (he looked like he was carrying an injury) and allowed charlie adam to stroll about picking passes ala paul scholes.

Routledge was giving that number three nightmares every time he ran at him so what did we do? play it down the middle time after time.

Smith should be dropped now - I doubt Nolan will be dropped as well but he had some good chances yesterday and fluffed them - and perch is an absolute liability

I'd agree with that. Smith doesn't have the engine to be good in the role he's in and that's without taking into account his shit tackling, poor passing and daft hair.

I think Routledge could definitely be used better at home as a real danger down the right hand side. He's got the pace to unsettle a lot of LBs but the questions about his final product are still there, as with Gutierrez.

Edited by A NICE HAT

Can see this been Smith and Nolan's last season at Newcastle. Niether can really cut it at this level, Nolan works hard, and gets into positions, but doesnt have the pace, vision or quality to perform on the level that we want. Sick and tired of there been a feeling like these two have to play. Butt/Smith were captaining last season and didnt play all the time.

Imagine the problems when guthrie and gosling are available. Smith/Nolan/Barton/Guthrie/Gosling/Jonas/Routledge/Ben Arfa/Tiote/Xisco to select from for the midfield.

Would like to see: Jonas Gosling Guthrie/Tiote Routledge with Ben Arfa behind Carroll

I think everyone agrees Smith should move over for Tiote like. I also agree the MF is the main problem (and maybe a 2nd forward). I quite like Routledge, just needs to put a better ball in and the right time. Jonas I like at times and frustrates the hell out of me at times. As for captain I also agree it shouldnt be Nolan. I dont think he should play every game whereas a captain should. But, who would be captain? Harper? Williamson?

Seriously though this whole Nolan things makes me laugh. What other PL side constantly picks a player/lumbered with who rarely performs and adds very littel to the actual overall performace of the side? The short ans is NONE.

Why do we continue to do it? Why do we also compound it with an inarticulate holding midfielder who is a landmine and at any given time can gift the opponent the match? Seriously what other PL sides continue with such stupidity to the level that it becomes a caricature of of 80's football where, names went on teamsheets and Optra or game engines/performance monitors were just a gleam in mangers eyes.

Football is a science now, where meters covered, postitive passes made and tackles renedered can easily be pulled up on a screen and analyses.

Why does Jonas still cross with his left when he we can all see the first 100 times he can't, is it too much to get him to try and cut inside and use his right like Ashley Young and Milner used to?? These things aren't rocket science.

Why when Carroll readies himself for a flick on isn't there a receiving player anywhere near him? Again these are basics that can be covered in training ie zones of predictability and movement of supporting players.

There's just too much nonsense on the pitch to go into, but it makes me wonder if the players are really listening to the manger and coaches or just go out there and start doing things on a whim.

The most basic things like compacting space when the opposition midfield has the ball....Happens maybe once or twice a game.

The team need to foirget about the Villa game and really focus on what they are doing without the ball and play to strengths or 2/3 losses will become half a dozen and then the confidence will go.

We have enough in this squad to stay up, just needs a bit of thought.

Edited by Park Life

hughton has done himself no favours by making him captain.

he's got a real test of his managerial credibility now. does he have the balls to drop teo of smith, barton and nolan to let the two new lads in for the next game?

i can see him dropping one of the wingers instead.

I don't see how at Newcastle, it's seen as fixed formation. How come Man Utd can use a rotation system, without any hassle? If that pleb Nolan can't get dropped, it has to fall on Hughton.. Everyone should know their place. Even feckin Scholes knows when he's beat. If they keep rotating, no one will say a thing if they get their game here & there. Only players that should be kept in game to game are the box to box players in the middle of the pitch. And that's only Barton. Smith can park it..