Math problem

Kid Dynamite

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an aside for maths fans, last weeks In Our Time is brilliant, it's all about i.

Melvyn Bragg and his guests discuss imaginary numbers. In the sixteenth century, a group of mathematicians in Bologna found a solution to a problem that had puzzled generations before them: a completely new kind of number. For more than a century this discovery was greeted with such scepticism that the great French thinker Rene Descartes dismissed it as an "imaginary" number.

The name stuck - but so did the numbers. Long dismissed as useless or even fictitious, the imaginary number i and its properties were first explored seriously in the eighteenth century. Today the imaginary numbers are in daily use by engineers, and are vital to our understanding of phenomena including electricity and radio waves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tt6b2

Reminded me about the nature of faith, the fact we can't say what the square root of minus one actually is in terms of real, rational, irrational or it's size, but the faith of a few that it is something and the benefits we've derived from that faith. Perhaps God is imaginary.....it doesn't mean he doesn't have perfectly good applications for us.

Only 12 hours left to listen though, so hurry.

As an aside for maths fans, last weeks In Our Time is brilliant, it's all about i.

Melvyn Bragg and his guests discuss imaginary numbers. In the sixteenth century, a group of mathematicians in Bologna found a solution to a problem that had puzzled generations before them: a completely new kind of number. For more than a century this discovery was greeted with such scepticism that the great French thinker Rene Descartes dismissed it as an "imaginary" number.

The name stuck - but so did the numbers. Long dismissed as useless or even fictitious, the imaginary number i and its properties were first explored seriously in the eighteenth century. Today the imaginary numbers are in daily use by engineers, and are vital to our understanding of phenomena including electricity and radio waves.

Reminded me about the nature of faith, the fact we can't say what the square root of minus one actually is in terms of real, rational, irrational or it's size, but the faith of a few that it is something and the benefits we've derived from that faith. Perhaps God is imaginary.....it doesn't mean he doesn't have perfectly good applications for us.

What are you wibbling on about?

I remember imaginary numbers from my A level maths - numbers like eleventeen, seventy-twelve and the like. Horribly hard to get your head around.

I remember imaginary numbers from my A level maths - numbers like eleventeen, seventy-twelve and the like. Horribly hard to get your head around.

Discovering e^(pi i) = -1 must have been like talking to god.

In i we trust.

I get the following. Not sure if it's right, but if it's not it should be easy to follow and fix the mistakes. :wub:

If you actually paid 90% of the two his and hers figures you've quoted, then you've underpaid the venue. You owe her dad AND the venue money.

Have a look though and see if it makes sense.

weddingcalc.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The 90% we originally paid was correct as we are each paying for 75 people to come to the evening do.

I worked out last night it came to about 102quid I owe her dad give or take. I think!

Surely if we said 100 people are coming and paid90%, but now only 90 people are going we are nigh on paid up? Except for 10% of the evenings 150 guests.

In i we trust.

Completely over my head but fascinating nonetheless :wub:

Yes to the question you asked at the top, which is why the 5584.77 and the 5586.30 are so close.

You withheld info about the evening guests though so you can swivel now. I should be getting an invite for my efforts tbh.

In i we trust.

I'm about as far from grasping it as i am from playing for Newcastle.

We all know pi has at least a trillion (basically infinite) decimal places with no repeating sequences - 3.14159.....

Eulers constant e is another constant of the same basically infinite magnitute or irrationality - 2.71828182845904523536......

i is the square root of -1....which we can't calculate.

But given all of that which we don't know (three numbers we still can't define exactly in their own terms as numbers).....we do know if you multiply pi by i, and take the result and multiply e by itself that many times the answer plops out as minus one.

Fuck the pope! Anyone that understands how and why this is should be bestowed vatican city where they can procreate with like-minded star-children to make the next evolutionary leap.

Yes to the question you asked at the top, which is why the 5584.77 and the 5586.30 are so close.

You withheld info about the evening guests though so you can swivel now. I should be getting an invite for my efforts tbh.

:wub: thanks for the help!

I get the following. Not sure if it's right, but if it's not it should be easy to follow and fix the mistakes. :wub:

If you actually paid 90% of the two his and hers figures you've quoted, then you've underpaid the venue. You owe her dad AND the venue money.

hmmm an accountant says you've underpaid, taxman says you're owed a refund.

Now thats a turn up for the books!!!!

In i we trust.

I'm about as far from grasping it as i am from playing for Newcastle.

We all know pi has at least a trillion (basically infinite) decimal places with no repeating sequences - 3.14159.....

Eulers constant e is another constant of the same basically infinite magnitute or irrationality - 2.71828182845904523536......

i is the square root of -1....which we can't calculate.

But given all of that which we don't know (three numbers we still can't define exactly in their own terms as numbers).....we do know if you multiply pi by i, and take the result and multiply e by itself that many times the answer plops out as minus one.

Fuck the pope! Anyone that understands how and why this is should be bestowed vatican city where they can procreate with like-minded star-children to make the next evolutionary leap.

Listened to this on the metro back home yesterday. Fascinating stuff, there is certainly a beautiful symmetry about maths.