Fucks sake!

shackbleep

It means we don't look desperate and if we do go after someone it will be done nice and quietly behind the scenes rather than played out in the press.

I suppose for some this is still the yardstick for which success in the transfer market [and efficiency] is judged by.

3rd rate signings.............. waayhaay :(

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh there was similar groans when Freddie for his lack of business sense when we announced we needed to buy a DF/MF/DM/AM/MFI/CTPA as it would hike prices up.

It's a shame he still doesn't receive due credit [in some quarters]for signings that were wrapped up professionally and with bugger all fuss. The signing of Woodgate [a player of pedigree] before our rivals took wind-of and were able to jump in and spark a bidding war to name just one.

Our squad isn't bad. Could do with a striker and a right back but noone of any quality is available in January unless you're willing to pay overs. So all in all I'm not fussed by this. Our last premierleague January brought us Nolan which turned outto be a masterstroke for our impending Championship season :( :(

to be fair, we were told there'd be no capital outlay and we signed Perch and Tiote for about £5m

not saying we definitely will be signing someone, but I'm not going to take this as gospel

aye - notven our idiot owner is going to risk doing a John Madejeski -wouldn't spend £ 5 mm and the club go down losing him £40 mm

It means we don't look desperate and if we do go after someone it will be done nice and quietly behind the scenes rather than played out in the press.

I suppose for some this is still the yardstick for which success in the transfer market [and efficiency] is judged by.

3rd rate signings.............. waayhaay :(

exactly. Another myth which gained widespread disapproval by the "anyone but Fred" brigade

Extremely early doors but Tiote looks the best player that we've signed for a LONG time. Ben Arfa possibly the most talented attacking player.

If they're third rate then bring on some second rate signings. :(

This is not an endorsement of MA, but rather a disendorsement of Year Zero's comment

Extremely early doors but Tiote looks the best player that we've signed for a LONG time. Ben Arfa possibly the most talented attacking player.

If they're third rate then bring on some second rate signings. :(

This is not an endorsement of MA, but rather a disendorsement of Year Zero's comment

The Tiote & Ben Arfa signings failed to escape the monitoring eye of the press, they're good players. I'm sure the usual medis spies weren't clamouring around the Liverpool Reserves lookinf for a hint of a story where Guthrie was concerned, and there have been plenty have jizzed over themselves over the fact that it was done quitely & efficiently.

Leaks to the press [where very good players, and potential stars, are concerned - even in the lower divisions] inevitably occur in most cases, and potential selling clubs are usually to blame. This was a virulent problem during Keegan's first stint when KK, Shepherd, Hall Jr & Fletcher were collectively wheeling & dealing. One signing [can't remember who it was] Keegan requested [through the player agent, when a transfer fee was already agreed apon] that our/the club's identity only be revealed when all 'i's' were effectively dotted on the line.

This was the sort cloak & dagger stuff which the club/the former board resorted to, the above was probably an isolated & successful case. But the whole 'media exposure' thing was all too often unwarranted stick to bash Shepherd with when it came to incoming signings. As long as deals are completed [for good players] is what matters at the end of the day.

I think people are over-reacting again!! We were supposedly told that we were not buying any players in the summer and we did. No capital outlay, and oh yeah, there was. Come on, someone close this thread, and reopen it AFTER the Jan transfer window.

I think people are over-reacting again!! We were supposedly told that we were not buying any players in the summer and we did. No capital outlay, and oh yeah, there was. Come on, someone close this thread, and reopen it AFTER the Jan transfer window.

I think we have heard this optimism before. The summer transfer window was so, so successful, we will be happy to finish 4th bottom.

Yeah, right.

I think we have heard this optimism before. The summer transfer window was so, so successful, we will be happy to finish 4th bottom.

Yeah, right.

It was successful in that we managed to bring in some quality players for as little/free whilst still been owned by a tight fisted twat. Most teams wouldn't of managed to sign who we did with no money. So we didn't spend £100+ mil like Man City, but we added some players who can help. I would take 4th bottom btw. And build into next season. All I want right now is to remain a premier league team, any more is a bonus.

I think we should wait and see in Jan what happens instead of speculating now.

which also means its likely to be someone who is so shit nobody else wants him.

aye, the OMG we can afford Rooney and Man Utd can't approach worked wonders didn't it :(

aye, the OMG we can afford Rooney and Man Utd can't approach worked wonders didn't it :(

worked wonders for ManU :( We broke the world transfer record once, to buy Alan Shearer. Do you, thompers, think that was a waste of time and we should have bought 3rd rate players from the 2nd division instead ? :(

Yeah, right.

It was successful in that we managed to bring in some quality players for as little/free whilst still been owned by a tight fisted twat. Most teams wouldn't of managed to sign who we did with no money. So we didn't spend £100+ mil like Man City, but we added some players who can help. I would take 4th bottom btw. And build into next season. All I want right now is to remain a premier league team, any more is a bonus.

I think we should wait and see in Jan what happens instead of speculating now.

so 4th bottom will be successful then ?

omg.

Were you one of those who booed when we only finished 5th top ?

worked wonders for ManU :( We broke the world transfer record once, to buy Alan Shearer. Do you, thompers, think that was a waste of time and we should have bought 3rd rate players from the 2nd division instead ? :(

...but that's not the issue thick cunt, the issue is publicly declaring your intentions in the transfer market. Indescribably thick

...but that's not the issue thick cunt, the issue is publicly declaring your intentions in the transfer market. Indescribably thick

As in David Gill saying ManU have 165m quid in the bank, including the money from the sale of Ronaldo ?

Or is this just your selective reasoning again :(

I presume in your little mind you also think the veil of secrecy led to a successful summer transfer window too ?

Do you think buying Alan Shearer was a waste of money or not ?

As in David Gill saying ManU have 165m quid in the bank, including the money from the sale of Ronaldo ?

Or is this just your selective reasoning again :(

I presume in your little mind you also think the veil of secrecy led to a successful summer transfer window too ?

Do you think buying Alan Shearer was a waste of money or not ?

Man Utd don't have to worry about bigger clubs gazumping them, ala the Rooney transfer :( How stupid are you though, really?

Were you embarrassed when we publicly declared our interest in Owen and he sat at that press conference giving it "errrr, oh newcastle, well ermmmm I'd maybe go there on loan" ?

aye, the OMG we can afford Rooney and Man Utd can't approach worked wonders didn't it :angry:

What's wrong with punching appropriately in the transfer market, in accordance with the club's weight at the time? - in the wake of an average finishing position of 4th over the previous three seasons. We beat them to the punch, and outfought them once before [with a similar wheeling & dealing/negotiating team, minus Keegan & Fletcher] when signing Shearer.

Nothing could be faulted in the move for Rooney - in the way of merit, ambition & timing.

Rooney had just turned down a new contract offer, and the general consensus at the time was that Man Utd had budgeted for a move next Summer when Rooney's existing contract had run into it's final year.

With the money acquired from the Woodgate sale [and the Rooney transfer was going to be partially financed, as was the case with Shearer] and extra finance we were in the position to have a genuine & concerted crack at the lad. If it wasn't for Man Utd restructuring their finances [to accomodate signing Rooney, a year ahead of schedule] we would've acquired a forward that any manager [including SBR's successor at the end of 04/05 season] could build their final 1/3 structure around for the next ten years, barring injury.

It wasn't that often we were usurped in the transfer market by a rival club. Shepherd's record when acquiring in-demand players on the continent holds up as well - Robert [beat off Barca, i think the same applies with Ginola] and Viana [AC Milan among others].

Compare this with our mainly miss record when it comes to acquiring the managers' top/priority targets, going back to Keegan's initial transfer window in January after Ashley declared that he would be more hands-on in the running of the club. Our incompetance [in not landing targets, under the steward of your mates Ashley & Llambarse] in this department by far outweighs being beaten in a closely fought race with Man United, for a blue-chip player/talent. I'd rather not have the club be a whipping bitch, and feeding club for the likes of Spurs.

aye, the OMG we can afford Rooney and Man Utd can't approach worked wonders didn't it :angry:

What's wrong with punching appropriately in the transfer market, in accordance with the club's weight at the time? - in the wake of an average finishing position of 4th over the previous three seasons. We beat them to the punch, and outfought them once before [with a similar wheeling & dealing/negotiating team, minus Keegan & Fletcher] when signing Shearer.

Nothing could be faulted in the move for Rooney - in the way of merit, ambition & timing.

Rooney had just turned down a new contract offer, and the general consensus at the time was that Man Utd had budgeted for a move next Summer when Rooney's existing contract had run into it's final year.

With the money acquired from the Woodgate sale [and the Rooney transfer was going to be partially financed, as was the case with Shearer] and extra finance we were in the position to have a genuine & concerted crack at the lad. If it wasn't for Man Utd restructuring their finances [to accomodate signing Rooney, a year ahead of schedule] we would've acquired a forward that any manager [including SBR's successor at the end of 04/05 season] could build their final 1/3 structure around for the next ten years, barring injury.

It wasn't that often we were usurped in the transfer market by a rival club. Shepherd's record when acquiring in-demand players on the continent holds up as well - Robert [beat off Barca, i think the same applies with Ginola] and Viana [AC Milan among others].

Compare this with our mainly miss record when it comes to acquiring the managers' top/priority targets, going back to Keegan's initial transfer window in January after Ashley declared that he would be more hands-on in the running of the club. Our incompetance [in not landing targets, under the steward of your mates Ashley & Llambarse] in this department by far outweighs being beaten in a closely fought race with Man United, for a blue-chip player/talent. I'd rather not have the club be a whipping bitch, and feeding club for the likes of Spurs.

Completely missing the point, as thick as leazes. The point is about going public about your intentions to spend money. You do know after publically declaring ourselves rich enough to sign rooney that everton turned down bids from us to hold out for more money?

I swear there was a thread specifically for this boring shit?

indeed there is. No legislation for thompers own particular brand of logic though. He would rather we outbid nobody for nobodies like Leon Best than break the world record for Alan Shearer or attempt to sign a truly top class player to follow in his footsteps.

He doesn't respond to my comment about David Gill telling everybody how much money Alex Ferguson has, so clubs can hold out for a higher price. Of course, it wasn't Freddie Shepherd so that's different :angry:

Roll on qualifying for europe again is what I say. Unfortunately we will never do it under the present owner because everything he does is taking the clubs profile further and further downwards.