UK aid worker may have been killed by US forces

Happy Face

stupid fuckin bint shouldnt have been there in the 1st place. the middle of a war zone is no place for civies (of both sides).

absolutely no surprise whatsoever that the yanks just blew the shit out of everything without checking the situation 1st. rightly or wrongly, its what they do.

We don't really know if that's what happened, and perhaps we won't ever find out. Regardless, it's a sad death of a hot chick but ultimately not that important (in terms of the conflict).

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give bonus points if you're a middle class graduate with an affluent family as I presume she was, she wasn't as hot as the doc but still you wouldn't mind shacking up in the caves of the badlands with her. There was a woman featured on the programme 'secret Iraq' as well who was mega hot. I'm talking 8/10. She had nearly been killed negotiating the release of two captives, what the fuck is a woman that hot doing going to Iraq I don't know.

Linda Norgroves facebook > http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/lindanorgrove

Linda Likes...

Nuristan Medical Expedition 2010, Afghanistan Analysts Network, Mountain Unity International, My Life With The Taliban, The Kabul Health Club, Pakhtunkhwa Peace Forum, Rethink Afghanistan, Achmed, the dead terrorist, Rory Stewart, World Bank Publications, Hadith of the Day

How ironic

If anything like this ever happened in Newcastle, at least Leazes could reasonably claim he lives in the real world for once. :(

oh I do Meenzer. Believe me, I do. :(

British aid worker Linda Norgrove may have been accidentally killed by US forces during a rescue mission in Afghanistan, David Cameron has said.

International forces there originally said the 36-year-old died on Friday when one of her captors detonated a suicide vest.

But the prime minister said new details had come to light suggesting her death may have resulted from a US grenade.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11514210

Even as I watched the news yesterday morning, telling me it was her captors that set off an exploding vest I said aloud, it was a blitz, more important to kill the 'insurgents' than rescue the victim.

I'm as cynical as they come but I can't see how the US would profit in anyway from not making the success of the rescue the first priority here.

I see it the same way I see the drone strikes on weddings, funerals, family homes etc. If there's any innocent victims that's just the way it is, taking out the enemy is the priority as I see it. Whether that's the case or not, my first cynical thought when the original story came out was that it was a cover up, and it seems to have been the right instinct in this case.

why do I get the feeling with you, that you think troops should let someone take the first shot at them before they are allowed to fire back :(

Funnily enough that's how international law says it should be....the Bush doctrine shit all over that.

As I thought. You aren't in the real world

Do you fancy letting someone shoot at you before you fire back at them ? :( And THAT is fuck all to do with Bush - whatever your illogical anti-american/west views tell you.

Aye, if taliban were roaming the streets of newcastle with high powered weapons shooting Brits you'd argue they have the right to protect themselves and their way of live would you?

:(

and you would let them ? All in the name of defending themselves against the evil infidels, right :(

No.

That's the point.

Be consistent.

I know you believe you're better than them, that they're all backwards and live in caves and should submit to white rule so consistency doesn't apply to your way of thinking.

I don't think they are all backwards at all. They are just different to us, uneducated, very dangerous, and very fanatical.

You're totally misguided, because you're sitting in your comfort zone, spouting fancy theories [which aren't up to you to attempt to implement] and have no idea whatsoever of their mindset.

If anything like this ever happened in Newcastle, at least Leazes could reasonably claim he lives in the real world for once. :(

oh I do Meenzer. Believe me, I do. :(

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...st&p=793458

You must've missed that question.

the real world isn't the idealistic naive nonsense that is spouted by some on here. As for beheading [your earlier question], that is vastly different to accidentally killing civilians caught up in a war zone or even an individual panicking at someone pointing a gun at you or even thinking it is about to happen to you. Although Happy Face has said that he thinks you should allow someone to take a pot shot at you first :( What the fuck is he reading :(

You've just said that HF has no idea about the Muslim/Taliban mindset. What exactly is it makes you more qualified than him?

As I said in the other thread, what experience do you have in the real world?

You've just said that HF has no idea about the Muslim/Taliban mindset. What exactly is it makes you more qualified than him?

He could tell you, but he'd have to kill you.

British aid worker Linda Norgrove may have been accidentally killed by US forces during a rescue mission in Afghanistan, David Cameron has said.

International forces there originally said the 36-year-old died on Friday when one of her captors detonated a suicide vest.

But the prime minister said new details had come to light suggesting her death may have resulted from a US grenade.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11514210

Even as I watched the news yesterday morning, telling me it was her captors that set off an exploding vest I said aloud, it was a blitz, more important to kill the 'insurgents' than rescue the victim.

I'm as cynical as they come but I can't see how the US would profit in anyway from not making the success of the rescue the first priority here.

I see it the same way I see the drone strikes on weddings, funerals, family homes etc. If there's any innocent victims that's just the way it is, taking out the enemy is the priority as I see it. Whether that's the case or not, my first cynical thought when the original story came out was that it was a cover up, and it seems to have been the right instinct in this case.

why do I get the feeling with you, that you think troops should let someone take the first shot at them before they are allowed to fire back :(

Funnily enough that's how international law says it should be....the Bush doctrine shit all over that.

As I thought. You aren't in the real world

Do you fancy letting someone shoot at you before you fire back at them ? :( And THAT is fuck all to do with Bush - whatever your illogical anti-american/west views tell you.

Aye, if taliban were roaming the streets of newcastle with high powered weapons shooting Brits you'd argue they have the right to protect themselves and their way of live would you?

:(

and you would let them ? All in the name of defending themselves against the evil infidels, right :(

No.

That's the point.

Be consistent.

I know you believe you're better than them, that they're all backwards and live in caves and should submit to white rule so consistency doesn't apply to your way of thinking.

I don't think they are all backwards at all. They are just different to us, uneducated.

They don't listen to fancy dan lecturers, no?

He's been in a war zone and had a gun pointed at him on a regular basis, for a start.

I'm sure he'll contradict me if that's not the case.

He's been in a war zone and had a gun pointed at him on a regular basis, for a start.

Are you German or a Brit living in Germany ?

Either way, you should be quite aware of the consequences of allowing madmen some rope ....

Nope.

How's life in the war zone?

Either way, you should be quite aware of the consequences of allowing madmen some rope ....

Aye, the consequences can be dire.....when the madman has a modicum of power.

But then if you'd been a German in 1938 you'd have been fully supportive of the Fuhrer and his program of killing whichever fellow citizens he perceived to be a threat. You'd have shouted down anyone opposed to that as unpatriotic as you have nothing but unquestioning obedience to your leaders and what they tell you. Right?

Or are you saying a few uneducated, cave dwellers are being given so much rope they could mount a challenge to world democracy on a scale equal to the might of the German military?

Nope.

Plenty of time to read Mein Kampf. Some of you should try it. He was a nice bloke really you know.

Nope.

Plenty of time to read Mein Kampf. Some of you should try it. He was a nice bloke really you know.

Not sure where you're heading with this one LM but I ask you to exercise caution as it's a subject that could easily blow out of proportion.

If Happy Face was interested in a proper critique of the conflict he would read beyond his beloved Juan Cer and get a sense of perspective in the real world.

Recommend something please. I'd honestly love to read some persuasive arguments that suggest we're going about things the right way.

Sure, start with www.google.com :( (that one's for alex)

I wasn't suggesting there are any persuasive arguments of that nature, just that citing individual deaths that happen in contentious circumstances is merely highlighting the inevitable consequences of any conflict, and therefore pointless. A proper critique of the mission in Afghanistan would focus on - to give a recent example - the snail-paced progress between the last two elections or the absolute confusion of Obama's policies toward the conflict. There are any number of things on a strategic level that have been inept at best, perhaps the biggest disaster was trying to mount the Iraq invasion in the midst of this mission; a much better job could have been done had that not been the case although it would have been no guarantee.

The Afghan mission is doomed to failure now in light of the clamour for the withdrawal of troops in most of the nations involved. The drone strikes will continue, the Pakistani government seemingly is ok with them despite their public protestations. I can only hope the Karzai government coalesces with the other elements in the country and provides something approaching stability once NATO forces have mostly left. They may be endemically corrupt (Karzai et al) but that is what happens in failed states. The preeminent malady of the effort has been incompetence from the get go. At least - to end on a positive - the Taliban and Al Quaeda have been weakened significantly.

The only problem with all this disneyland type thinking is that Karzai is totally corrupt former 'oilman' and the 'Govt' have little power outside of the capital. Afg is primarily a tribal culture with regional leaders of various persuasions (the main one being war/drugs/guns). It's pointless thinking we'll make it like Suffolk if we stay there long enough.

"They may be endemically corrupt (Karzai et al) but that is what happens in failed states."

Afghanistan was a failed state that had always been very hard to govern because of the tribal culture you mentioned, the terrain, and the fact that there has been conflict for yonks (many years). To establish a government there of any nature is an acheivement that shouldn't be taken lightly. If you were expecting Jesus to come and be the president of Afghanistan then you're the one who is watching too many Disney movies. I'm not sure what you're refering to with this talk of Suffolk, put down the crackpipe homeboy.

For Happy Face:

"Obama: 'I pulled the trigger'

President Obama has offered his condolences for the killing of Linda Norgrove in an emotional text to Prime minister David Cameron.

The first text reads:

Sup Dave thy ws hidn in a cave init fam an i ws like eh taliban brap brap eat lead sucka sos mate txt bk

David Cameron replied:

Oh how very frightful I must say Gideon is very upset, toodle pip Dave

The exchange ended with a final text from Barack Hussein Obama:

U ws always my niga dave I know u gona sort this 1 out init, gtg sendin drone out to kil camel humpers"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...id-Cameron.html

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

Nope.

Not sure where you're heading with this one LM but I ask you to exercise caution as it's a subject that could easily blow out of proportion.

OK. I won't explain the point I intended to make either then.

Edit. And no offence intended.

Edited by LeazesMag

Aye, the consequences can be dire.....when the madman has a modicum of power.

But then if you'd been a German in 1938 you'd have been fully supportive of the Fuhrer and his program of killing whichever fellow citizens he perceived to be a threat. You'd have shouted down anyone opposed to that as unpatriotic as you have nothing but unquestioning obedience to your leaders and what they tell you. Right?

Or are you saying a few uneducated, cave dwellers are being given so much rope they could mount a challenge to world democracy on a scale equal to the might of the German military?

eerrr.....no. It's you who is supporting those who are gassing, killing and murdering their own people. I suppose you would have allowed Hitler Youth or Gestapo to march on the streets to demonstrate their "rights" of free speech ? Haven'I asked you this before ?

Yeah, you didn't grasp the difference between holding accountable the most powerful government in the world with a military arsenal to dwarf most others nations combined....and less than 100 people living in caves when we discussed it previously either.

Robert Pape, a University of Chicago political science professor and former Air Force lecturer, will present findings on Capitol Hill Tuesday that argue that the majority of suicide terrorism around the world since 1980 has had a common cause: military occupation.

Pape and his team of researchers draw on data produced by a six-year study of suicide terrorist attacks around the world that was partially funded by the Defense Department's Defense Threat Reduction Agency. They have compiled the terrorism statistics in a publicly available database comprised of some 10,000 records on some 2,200 suicide terrorism attacks, dating back to the first suicide terrorism attack of modern times - the 1983 truck bombing of the U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut, Lebanon, that killed 241 U.S. Marines.

"We have lots of evidence now that when you put the foreign military presence in, it triggers suicide terrorism campaigns, ... and that when the foreign forces leave, it takes away almost 100% of the terrorist campaign," Pape said in an interview last week on his findings.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/laurarozen/1...on.html?showall