West Ham 1-2 Newcastle United

The Fish

Hughton does tend to either listen to the fans, or at least think the same as them. For example:

We wanted Smith to be dropped, he did that. Nolan was dropped shortly after.

Perch to be dropped (not before time) he did that too.

Suggestions that Shola should go up front with Carroll: Look what happened on Saturday.

Some on here are suggesting that Barton should be played on the right, lo and behold he does just that.

He must read toontastic then ay?

;)

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tuco Ramirez
What did you text back Stevie?

Just that she was a pretty girl to say she was from Kent, but she should leave the football predictions to the blokes and I said I'd love say I hope you stay up but I dont and ended with a "bye ;) x". Abused Grant too.

Tiote would get in Chelsea's team ahead of Mikel imo. He is fuckin class, I love him. He's better than Batty, he's not a typical holding player, the typical holding player is an Amdy Faye type, big, no skill, completely destroying the opposition, but he's much more than that, he's skilful can pass well. Some utter wank who will remain nameless, not that any of you would know him anyway, texted me after 10 mins saying "all Tiote does is pass the ball 3 yards", it makes me wonder what planet some people are on.

Great second half though, Andy Gray focussed on West Ham being shit rather than us being good which annoyed me a bit like.

Well....he does, thats what he does, he keeps it simple. I'v not seen him play a probing ball forward much but thats not what we bought him for.

But he has that bit of skill and is soo calm under pressure it relieve's us when we need it and we have not had that type of player in a long long time.

I'd be encouraging him to have a dig more often too.

Just that she was a pretty girl to say she was from Kent, but she should leave the football predictions to the blokes and I said I'd love say I hope you stay up but I dont and ended with a "bye ;) x". Abused Grant too.

Blokes a fekin one man walking horror movie.

Good, they thought they had turned the corner, they are more worried now than at any point this season. Hope its them, Wolves and Blackburn.

Just that she was a pretty girl to say she was from Kent, but she should leave the football predictions to the blokes and I said I'd love say I hope you stay up but I dont and ended with a "bye :lol: x". Abused Grant too.

Good, they thought they had turned the corner, they are more worried now than at any point this season. Hope its them, Wolves and Blackburn.

:lol:;)

Just that she was a pretty girl to say she was from Kent, but she should leave the football predictions to the blokes and I said I'd love say I hope you stay up but I dont and ended with a "bye :lol: x". Abused Grant too.

:icon_lol:;)

Hope its not blackburn because im from there and its the only guaranteed newcastle game i can afford to watch.

:lol: (Hope its wolves, west ham and err wigan).

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Aye that would be nice. Stoke would be wonderful though really would. I like MMcC but hate Wolves so seeing them mouthy tools going down would be nice.

Very pedantic I know but see when there's a live game on the Championship, it's got that mint song on You've Got The Love by Candy Staton, and last season the credits had the CCC trophy with Wolves gold and black ribbons attached to it, this fuckin year no black and white ribbons, why not?????

The Toon are a very jekyll and hyde side at the minute though, we are so calm on the ball in away games and we were last night we play like a Spanish team away with our little passes, but at home it's like a hot potato. I like Jose and Jonas sometimes they dont care how many people are up their arse they pass under pressure and never panic. People criticising Simpson, have a word, he's just come back from a nasty injury.

Aye that would be nice. Stoke would be wonderful though really would. I like MMcC but hate Wolves so seeing them mouthy tools going down would be nice.

Very pedantic I know but see when there's a live game on the Championship, it's got that mint song on You've Got The Love by Candy Staton, and last season the credits had the CCC trophy with Wolves gold and black ribbons attached to it, this fuckin year no black and white ribbons, why not?????

The Toon are a very jekyll and hyde side at the minute though, we are so calm on the ball in away games and we were last night we play like a Spanish team away with our little passes, but at home it's like a hot potato. I like Jose and Jonas sometimes they dont care how many people are up their arse they pass under pressure and never panic. People criticising Simpson, have a word, he's just come back from a nasty injury.

I was going to say Stoke but i dont think they are in any danger of going down. Played quite well second half today. More of an Allardyce thing with Blackburn if i'm honest.

The home form book goes out the window next week, its Bruce's first derby too.

We have knocked the ball round well all season...poppin it about in triangles and playing some fluid stuff. I agree about the home form but just cant put a finger on why?

Are we putting too much pressure on them? Are we not creating a good enough atmosphere?

I think theres an eliment of the above but come on, these lads are paid a shit load of money and should be able to handle the expectation.

Personally it's been the tactics at home thats let us down time and time again and some bad luck. Blackpool prime example.

Im confident that the home form will pick up and that we will keep churning out results away from home.

13th. Easy. ;)

Barton on the right was inspired today. Instead of doing what many feared and dropping inside, he whipped in some telling balls and was heavily responsible for both goals.

Nolan never plays better for us than when he's playing just off the strikers - certainly was that way last season. The introduction of Tiote who plays a holding midfield role similar to Essien & Makalele is giving Nolan the freedom to move forward more.

Simpson was caught a few times today but it was his first game back.

However we can't lose sight of the fact that for 70 minutes today, West Ham were utter garbage. Rather than being ecstatic that we beat them, I'm more relieved that we didn't drop points against someone who deserved fuck all from the game.

I see your point, but for me Essien is far more talented than being just a holding midfielder.

Agreed, he's nowhere near Essien's capabilities - if he was, he'd be playing for one of the top 4. He's certainly got similar attributes in respect of the holding midfield role though.

McCarthy's 80-90% of the reason I can't fucking stand Wolves tbh.

McCarthy's 80-90% of the reason I can't fucking stand Wolves tbh.

I agree. He's a cockend.

Some quotes lifted from .com

Chris H

"It’s been a tough week and that was a big win. My position is completely different, but I’m delighted for this group of lads.

"It’s a very spirited group of players and staff that we’ve got. Whenever they have been questioned they have generally come up trumps.

"It’s difficult to single out anyone because it was a good team performance. West Ham is not an easy place to come and when the team sheets go up you see the quality that they have. I think that was the best performance of my time here.

"No disrespect to the Championship – where we had some tremendous performances – it is hard in the Premier League and it means that little bit more. It was definitely the best performance of the season so far."

On Tiote:

"He was excellent. Cheik is a quiet lad but he’s settled in very well. He just goes about his business, there’s no thrills about his game but he goes about his business very well.

"What we need to do now is address our home form. Our away form is good but we now need to apply that at home as well.

On Carroll:

"I had every confidence it wouldn’t affect Andy. That was his best game since the first game against Manchester United. He’s a handful. We need that from him as regularly as we can.”

"He’s a tough individual. He knows that the best place for him is on the football pitch, training every day, being with a spirited group of players who are very fond of him and a staff who’ll support him. I thought he was excellent.

"It didn’t matter who scored really but I can see the headlines now! What we have in Kevin Nolan is someone who will always pop up with a goal, he’s been consistent in that. Andy Carroll was just in the right place – but I would have fancied anyone to score it with that kind of delivery."

On off-field rumours: 

“In all honesty, I don’t think about the speculation. The job that I have at Newcastle is big enough without worrying about that. It is demanding enough as a job to not think about what is being said outside of the football club. 

What I am keen to do is look at the positives. They are that in a season that we knew would be a tough season, we are one win away from being five or six positions better off than what we are.

“There are a group of teams that are in a similar position to us. We knew there would be tough periods this season and we have to get through them.

“If there are any criticisms I just look back at the periods where it’s been the opposite. If you’re a manager the key is not to get carried away when people are praising you, and not to let it affect you when you’re getting criticism. That is the best approach, I feel.

On rumours that Joe Kinnear could be returning to SJP:

"I might get him in to do the Press!"

Joey Barton commented:

"I was surprised to play there (in right midfield). I haven’t really got a trick and I’m not known for my electric pace, but  I said to the gaffer that I would play left-back or in goal as long as we win and its right for the team.

"It’s important for me to repay some debts to this football club with my performances on the pitch. That is what I want to do.

"This is a football team that thrives when our backs to the wall. Having a team of 11 players working hard for each other is a lot harder to beat than a team of fragmented egos that has gone before in my previous Newcastle times, and definitely in the side that was relegated.

"The pitch can be little bit of a sanctuary. Andy knows where we are, and I’ve been in his shoes. I will try and converse with him. My reputation hindered me for a long, long time and I will try and guide him to stop him from going down that path.

"We are human beings and Andy hasn’t been convicted of anything yet. The courts will take the necessary steps and it’s futile for me to talk about it to an extent.

"He’s a great kid and a great lad. He comes into training and works hard every day, and all the lads in the dressing room support him, as does the gaffer. If he loses that then he will be in trouble. But he showed us again today with his performance what it means to pull on the black-and-white jersey, and for me as long as he does that it’s nothing to do with me what he does outside the football pitch."

Hughton does tend to either listen to the fans, or at least think the same as them. For example:

Suggestions that Shola should go up front with Carroll: Look what happened on Saturday.

Some on here are suggesting that Barton should be played on the right, lo and behold he does just that.

Not sure about that like. He dropped Smith because he'd signed Tiote, it was always going to be the case he was signed as Smith's replacement. Nolan was injured. Perch was dropped because Simpson was fit - another no brainer really. Agree with the others although again they were fairly logical imo.

Not sure about that like. He dropped Smith because he'd signed Tiote, it was always going to be the case he was signed as Smith's replacement. Nolan was injured. Perch was dropped because Simpson was fit - another no brainer really. Agree with the others although again they were fairly logical imo.

I'd like to think that perceived alignment between discussions amongst fans and some starting 11s / tactics is because the issues were clear enough for most people to see. Sometimes a manager might not make the changes or set the team out the way fans want because there are unseen issues at play or he sees things differently to the stands. Its daft to suggest he is listening to the fans though, its just people seeing the same things as they were pretty obvious to work out.

*Ahembitinboldahem*

I'm not really suggesting he's listening properly to the fans or that he's taking any advice, but it just seems that way.

It just seems to me that he is one that would chop and change the line-up, rather than stick to the same set up because it cost a lot or they're high profile. As managers in the past have done.

I can't believe that anybody thought that Smith would be dropped almost instantly for Tiote. In fact, I think someone said on here that Hughton wouldn't 'dare drop Nolan and Smith because they run the team, really', alright Nolan wasn't dropped on purpose but I reckon it could happen if need be.

Thought i'd put this in the match thread.

Barton seems to have sorted himself out since he became teetotal.

Hopefully this run in the team lasts and he might improve a wee bit more. Needs to cut out the silly mistakes, he seems too relaxed at times. Maybe he is meditating too much.

Thought his passing was better on Saturday though. He still gave it away a bit too much but it was a massive improvement on the last 3 or 4 games where his passing has been atrocious. Great ball in for the 2nd too.

Shame he doesnt have an extra yard of pace. I agree his passing has got better.

I was trying to work out on saturday if our midfield was flat 4 when defending and narrow 3 with Nolan in behind when attacking. Barton was coming inside as he needed to cover the central areas at times, then had to bust a gut to get back out wide when defending. Or was that him just drfiting in naturally? Our shape seemed quite fluid, it wasnt always strictly 4-4-2.

Hopefully this run in the team lasts and he might improve a wee bit more. Needs to cut out the silly mistakes, he seems too relaxed at times. Maybe he is meditating too much.

Thought his passing was better on Saturday though. He still gave it away a bit too much but it was a massive improvement on the last 3 or 4 games where his passing has been atrocious. Great ball in for the 2nd too.

I was trying to work out on saturday if our midfield was flat 4 when defending and narrow 3 with Nolan in behind when attacking. Barton was coming inside as he needed to cover the central areas at times, then had to bust a gut to get back out wide when defending. Or was that him just drfiting in naturally? Our shape seemed quite fluid, it wasnt always strictly 4-4-2.

As I mentioned earlier, I think Tiote allows Nolan the freedom to push forward and support the front two - which suits us as I reckon we get the best out of Nolan. That said it probably makes us appear to play three across the middle at times. Be good to see the full-backs pushing further forward on the overlap IMO. Colo and Williamson are a decent pairing and Tiote is there for support too.

When defending teams will instinctively go narrow.