How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

Weight Watchers can't work if it's really that slack.

People'll only lose weight by doing it if they put some effort in and do more, as well as eat generally healthily rather than sticking to a very generous and lenient point system, which would just make the whole WW thing redundant anyway. What a scam.

Edited by JonGoodwyn

First session at Weight Watchers last night and their (lying) scales had me down as 14-7, even though my own have me at a much healthier 14-2 :lol:

Anyway, being beginners we had to have the full monty (which was unfortunately a briefing and not an all day breakfast).

Im allowed 39 points a day with a weekly bonus of 49 points to use as I like. Not too bad really until you consider a pint of lager is 6 points. :up:

So today I have so far had....

Alpen 4 points

M&S Vile Indian soup 4 points

A Banana Free

Going to have a garlic mushroom salad for tea which should be nowt, leaving room for about 4 pints watching the match at the pub. :)

mate, seriously, you're never going to cut fat going about it like that. good luck with it like but i just don't see it happening for you, sorry.

cutting fat and keeping it off requires a complete rethink of your nutrition, combined with a proper training plan. fad diets like weight watchers don't cut it i'm afraid.

don't mean to sound patronising like so don't take it that way. this is free advice from someone that found it very hard to cut fat for years. i tried a million different diets and forms of training until i found out what works.

I know where you are coming from but what might suit a 20 or 30 something isnt always going to suit a 40 something.

Personally I think the WW program is a good vehicle from getting from where I am at, to possible what you are talking about. Im starting from a position of an unhealthy job, unhealthy food and no exercise.

The WW plan will start me tracking what Im eating, teaching me about foods that are healthier and more filling and rewarding me by giving me extra points (food or alcohol) for exercising.

As I start to eat better, feel healthier and get fitter, then there is a good chance some of these habits will stick. Like most things done to excess, it is all about changing habits.

I have even set myself a challenge of climbing sca fell in June to keep me focussed on getting healthier.

I never see myself bashing the gym and all these routines as a lot of the younger lads on here talk about. It just doesnt fit in with my lifestyle of being a married father of four. I might not live as long but hey ho.

Weight Watchers is a crock of shit like.

Today science is offering an authoritative and surprisingly positive endorsement: two studies from the Medical Research Council, led by one of Britain's leading nutrition scientists, say that Weight Watchers really does work, and is a cheap and effective way for the NHS to tackle Britain's huge obesity problem.

Dr Susan Jebb, head of nutrition and health research at the MRC's human nutrition research centre in Cambridge, is an adviser to government and a member of the Foresight team whose 2007 report warned that more than half the population would be obese by 2050, costing the nation an estimated £46bn.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/jul...-say-scientists

Guest Marshall-Baines

Fuck knows how but I'm still 15st4, feel much heavier, back in the swing of things again now though, won't be happy till my whole body is like an athletes though.

You sound a bit like you're searching for a panacea tbh, CT. Deep down you must know though that one doesn't exist and what's healthy and what isn't.

Having a set "points" range means that you can eat nothing but shite as it still falls into the points. I could eat pizza every day as long as it was in the points, I'm not going to lose weight.

EDIT: Good luck all the same like. Having said all this, me dad went to WW and he's lost about 4 stone. But he's also going for runs and walking to and from work and he's just turned 50.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

You sound a bit like you're searching for a panacea tbh, CT. Deep down you must know though that one doesn't exist and what's healthy and what isn't.

To a degree, but like all things in life, a little bit of help changing habits doesnt do any harm.

With regards to healthy food, I think each generation that comes along knows a lot more than the next, but I have no problem improving my knowledge and learning about things like mushrooms which are very healthy but also very filling.

Food and its labelling, particularly to men of my generation who have happily polished off egg and chip et al over the years with no concern, can be a minefield so again learning about the advantages / disadvantages of Carbohydrates, Fibre, Fat, Saturated fat etc, can only be a good thing both to the person involved and the countrys finances.

With regard to the last bit, I think the benefit of WW is kind of backed up by the NHS giving membership away free as a means of fighting the cause of obeseness rather than fighting the symptons.

Having a set "points" range means that you can eat nothing but shite as it still falls into the points. I could eat pizza every day as long as it was in the points, I'm not going to lose weight.

EDIT: Good luck all the same like. Having said all this, me dad went to WW and he's lost about 4 stone. But he's also going for runs and walking to and from work and he's just turned 50.

Two things.

The whole point of attending the hour long class is to learn about food, eating habits etc rather than just hitting point targets.

Secondly, A normal pizza would be something like 25 points which wouldnt really leave much for breakfast, lunch drinks or snacks so most people would soon ditch the pizza for foods that used up less points.

Well done to your dad btw.

To a degree, but like all things in life, a little bit of help changing habits doesnt do any harm.

With regards to healthy food, I think each generation that comes along knows a lot more than the next, but I have no problem improving my knowledge and learning about things like mushrooms which are very healthy but also very filling.

Food and its labelling, particularly to men of my generation who have happily polished off egg and chip et al over the years with no concern, can be a minefield so again learning about the advantages / disadvantages of Carbohydrates, Fibre, Fat, Saturated fat etc, can only be a good thing both to the person involved and the countrys finances.

With regard to the last bit, I think the benefit of WW is kind of backed up by the NHS giving membership away free as a means of fighting the cause of obeseness rather than fighting the symptons.

You're only 9 years older than me man :):up:

You're only 9 years older than me man :):up:

Yeah but your educated and all that, can make your own pasta sauce and knows what Panacea means without google :lol: (thought it was a recipe).

First session at Weight Watchers last night and their (lying) scales had me down as 14-7, even though my own have me at a much healthier 14-2 :lol:

Anyway, being beginners we had to have the full monty (which was unfortunately a briefing and not an all day breakfast).

Im allowed 39 points a day with a weekly bonus of 49 points to use as I like. Not too bad really until you consider a pint of lager is 6 points. :up:

Alpen 4 points

A Banana Free

Going to have a garlic mushroom salad for tea which should be nowt, leaving room for about 4 pints watching the match at the pub. :)

mate, seriously, you're never going to cut fat going about it like that. good luck with it like but i just don't see it happening for you, sorry.

cutting fat and keeping it off requires a complete rethink of your nutrition, combined with a proper training plan. fad diets like weight watchers don't cut it i'm afraid.

don't mean to sound patronising like so don't take it that way. this is free advice from someone that found it very hard to cut fat for years. i tried a million different diets and forms of training until i found out what works.

I know where you are coming from but what might suit a 20 or 30 something isnt always going to suit a 40 something.

Personally I think the WW program is a good vehicle from getting from where I am at, to possible what you are talking about. Im starting from a position of an unhealthy job, unhealthy food and no exercise.

The WW plan will start me tracking what Im eating, teaching me about foods that are healthier and more filling and rewarding me by giving me extra points (food or alcohol) for exercising.

As I start to eat better, feel healthier and get fitter, then there is a good chance some of these habits will stick. Like most things done to excess, it is all about changing habits.

I have even set myself a challenge of climbing sca fell in June to keep me focussed on getting healthier.

I never see myself bashing the gym and all these routines as a lot of the younger lads on here talk about. It just doesnt fit in with my lifestyle of being a married father of four. I might not live as long but hey ho.

i don't think age has to matter. depends on your goals. you just have to make time for excercise. there are guys i see at my gym in the 50s that are in way better shape than me; i'm talking really low body fat - abs popping out and everything. advancing years don't make cutting fat impossible.

i was naturally lean until i hit late 20s when suddenly i woke up and all of a sudden i wasn't able to get away with eating and drinking what i wanted. so joined a gym and tried all forms of fad diets, i spent years down the gym getting crap results. i lost weight, sure, but never got anywhere near to looking ripped. i was basically trying fad diets like atkins and wasting my time by not doing a professionally designed training routine. it took about 3 years of wasted time (and money) before i did my research, read around, asked questions and worked out what i was doing wrong.

i have a desk job that can get quite hectic at times. i quite often end up eating at my desk and working 12 hour days, but i make an effort to find time to excercise.

by all means, stick with weight watchers but if you want to see real results - and by that i mean, lower body fat (not dropping pounds), better muscle definition and overall more pleasing body composition then i would seriously advise rethinking how you're going about it. i would be happy to suggest a training and nutrition plan that could work for you. i like to steer people on to the right path so they don't waste as much time as i did!

You're only 9 years older than me man :):lol:

Yeah but your educated and all that, can make your own pasta sauce and knows what Panacea means without google :o (thought it was a recipe).

:up: Do you think I learnt that at university like? ;)

Good luck with it but you'll have to exercise a bit if you want any long-term effects. Even if it's just walking. You have to make the time as well, as there'll always be an excuse to do something else. Alright, it's a pain in the arse, but it's better than eating rabbit food for the rest of your life (going off what you've said, we both know that's not going to happen) or worse still, ill health.

Edited by alex

Alpen 4 points

A Banana Free

i don't think age has to matter. depends on your goals. you just have to make time for excercise. there are guys i see at my gym in the 50s that are in way better shape than me; i'm talking really low body fat - abs popping out and everything. advancing years don't make cutting fat impossible.

i was naturally lean until i hit late 20s when suddenly i woke up and all of a sudden i wasn't able to get away with eating and drinking what i wanted. so joined a gym and tried all forms of fad diets, i spent years down the gym getting crap results. i lost weight, sure, but never got anywhere near to looking ripped. i was basically trying fad diets like atkins and wasting my time by not doing a professionally designed training routine. it took about 3 years of wasted time (and money) before i did my research, read around, asked questions and worked out what i was doing wrong.

i have a desk job that can get quite hectic at times. i quite often end up eating at my desk and working 12 hour days, but i make an effort to find time to excercise.

by all means, stick with weight watchers but if you want to see real results - and by that i mean, lower body fat (not dropping pounds), better muscle definition and overall more pleasing body composition then i would seriously advise rethinking how you're going about it. i would be happy to suggest a training and nutrition plan that could work for you. i like to steer people on to the right path so they don't waste as much time as i did!

I'll bear that in mind thanks, but I'll get going with this first.

Treating yourself to over a days worth of food per week from the off is hardly going to help either.

???

Not sure what you mean?

Is that not what a weekly bonus of 49 extra points is, or am I missing the point?

Rather than saying you have 46 points a day, they say its 39 with a weekly "bonus ball" of 49 points. Its a motivational tool for different people.

Some will make sure they dont use it and do even better, others will think at least once a week they can have that chinese take away. I will probably call it beer tokens. :)

Its just a psychological tool. Because the program is meant to be about learning to eat healthy, rather than to diet.

Its important for some from the off, to know that they dont have to give up everything and just exist on diet food.

I agree with Dr Gloom that his way is probably better, but at the end of the day, its horses for courses.

At the end of the day its a case of using the knowledge available AND MORE IMPORTANTLY WILL POWER, just like packing fags in.

Funny though that the meeting leader and all of his helpers are vastly overweight. :up:

CT, go to this link:

www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/#offline

And go to the bit where it says dowload a PDF version. I am not taking the piss, I reckon if you read that you'll want to knock WW on the head, AND weight wise you'll be better off in the short and more importantly the long term from doing so.

CT, go to this link:

And go to the bit where it says dowload a PDF version. I am not taking the piss, I reckon if you read that you'll want to knock WW on the head, AND weight wise you'll be better off in the short and more importantly the long term from doing so.

250 pages long man :) Whats the summary.

CT, go to this link:

250 pages long man :up: Whats the summary.

Just read it man. You can skip large chunks of it anyway once you have the gist - the author will encourage you to skip certain parts. 250 pages to sort out the next 30+ years of weight problems is nowt. :)