The slide.

Park Life

I knew we'd lose yesterday, and I knew this would be the reaction. Complete kneejerk stuff. When we get Barton and Tiote in we'll be ok, Newcastle are not Premiership material when Smith and Guthrie play, and we'll get found out every time they do, when the better players are back we can compete with nearly anyone on our day. We'll be ok. Look at the mackems they lost 5-1, and they're on about CL now the deluded cunts, if we beat Chelsea next week this will all be forgotten.

Just had the feeling before this game that the team had started to lose its momentum and some slackness was showing itself. Hard games coming up.

None of the games are harder than a derby and Arsenal away, we'll be fine. I'm not burying my head in the sand, as long as we don't have too many injuries and suspensions everything will be ok.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew we'd lose yesterday, and I knew this would be the reaction. Complete kneejerk stuff. When we get Barton and Tiote in we'll be ok, Newcastle are not Premiership material when Smith and Guthrie play, and we'll get found out every time they do, when the better players are back we can compete with nearly anyone on our day. We'll be ok. Look at the mackems they lost 5-1, and they're on about CL now the deluded cunts, if we beat Chelsea next week this will all be forgotten.

Just had the feeling before this game that the team had started to lose its momentum and some slackness was showing itself. Hard games coming up.

None of the games are harder than a derby and Arsenal away, we'll be fine. I'm not burying my head in the sand, as long as we don't have too many injuries and suspensions everything will be ok.

I have my own theory about the Arsenal result and it's mostly to do with the fact they play football and it's a team of lightweights and mini-me's. We struggle against the brutal clogging outfits.

I have my own theory about the Arsenal result and it's mostly to do with the fact they play football and it's a team of lightweights and mini-me's. We struggle against the brutal clogging outfits.

MMMM how would that explain the fact Arsenal always batter Everton? 6 or 7-0 last season. Blackburn too. Mick McCarthy had it right, our win at Arsenal had fuck all to do with their deficiencies and everything to do with how well we played.

Up and down season....

NewcastleUtd_pos.gif

We've dropped too many points at home to our near rivals for me to feel comfortable with proceedings.

On current form (last 6) we're 6th.

Squad's shit like, think it'll get worse (without Barton or Collo) before it gets better.

MMMM how would that explain the fact Arsenal always batter Everton? 6 or 7-0 last season. Blackburn too. Mick McCarthy had it right, our win at Arsenal had fuck all to do with their deficiencies and everything to do with how well we played.

We showed a helluva lot of courage that game that's for sure. We also had the advantage that Whinner STILL hasn't got a decent keeper of midfield commander. They are one of the quietest sides on the pitch. Just whispering he odd thing to each other in Franglisch or Spanglish and exchanging the odd tapas recipie at freekicks.

We showed a helluva lot of courage that game that's for sure. We also had the advantage that Whinner STILL hasn't got a decent keeper of midfield commander. They are one of the quietest sides on the pitch. Just whispering he odd thing to each other in Franglisch or Spanglish and exchanging the odd tapas recipie at freekicks.

Having a world class keeper wont help them score goals.

Up and down season....

NewcastleUtd_pos.gif

We've dropped too many points at home to our near rivals for me to feel comfortable with proceedings.

Squad's shit like, think it'll get worse (without Barton or Collo) before it gets better.

It's time to let loose the mad - pointing - running up the pitch for no reason- shouting at shadows- secret weapon.

Up and down season....

NewcastleUtd_pos.gif

It's time to let loose the mad - pointing - running up the pitch for no reason- shouting at shadows- secret weapon.

:lol:

Don't get me wrong, we were superb that day, but Arsenal have looked poor for their standards on the whole this season.

Don't get me wrong, we were superb that day, but Arsenal have looked poor for their standards on the whole this season.

I don't know like they have looked poor, three home defeats says a lot, but they're right in the title mix. I think for the first time in years, the big four, and you know my feelings about Liverpool, I think it's only ever been a big three, are slightly coming back to the pack. I think it's been the most interesting Premiership since 1996 to be honest so far. I think all of them have deteriorated slightly in about the last three years. All of them are behind the big two in Spain imo now. You can only beat what's in front of you as well, and our doggedness and organisation made them completely run out of ideas. The game like I say emphasised Tiote's complete importance to the side.

Barton and Tiote will definitely help. I think with Barton though people are making too mucch of his form. He's not a right mifielder and can't beat players on their outside, so he's getting by on guile and good off the ball movement. He's also being made to look better than he is because of picking up frequent assists from free-kicks where he's floating the ball into good positions. I'd rather see him olay in the middle alongside Tiote with a proper right midfielder on the right. Nolan deviates from wonderful instinctive finishing to complete anonymity, with the latter coming to the fore recently. Last season he was the same - having a horrible run through the middle of the season. Hughton didn't drop him then, and looks unlikely to do so now, bu the big difference is that we were playing Championship sides then, so even if we struggled to score we weren't conceding so it was manageable. Nolan for me has precious more than zero value when he's not scoring.

Smith is complete and utter rubbish. His positioning off the ball was infuriating against Bolton. Guthrie though is a decent player. Never a world beater, but when playing through the middle he can pick out a pass and can occassionally crack a good shot when given space. He flat out should not be cconsidered to play down the right though, because he's lost when used there.

The problem with our dip in form, even if it is largely based on some key players being not available, is that bad form can be highly contageous. With some very difficult matches coming up (Chelsea and Liverpool at home) it's entirely forseeable that bad form turns into low morale. With a manager who doesn't have a good (or long) history with backs against the wall if the going gets tough we could easily get succked back into the tail end of the table. The January window is almost 6 weeks away, and it's unlikely that much (if any) strengthening will be done over that period so if we leave that crucial junction with the lack of true first team depth that we have available now in certain positions I wouldn't be confident of us finishing outside the bottom three just because there's three or four teams on paper that are worse than us.

Ciritical that we get at least three points out of our next three games. Four would be very good any more would be fantastic. If we come out of that three back in some modicum of form we have a very winable match at St Andrews, before we host Man City. Enacting some sort of revenge in that match would leave a very sweet taste in my mouth.

I don't know like they have looked poor, three home defeats says a lot, but they're right in the title mix. I think for the first time in years, the big four, and you know my feelings about Liverpool, I think it's only ever been a big three, are slightly coming back to the pack. I think it's been the most interesting Premiership since 1996 to be honest so far. I think all of them have deteriorated slightly in about the last three years. All of them are behind the big two in Spain imo now. You can only beat what's in front of you as well, and our doggedness and organisation made them completely run out of ideas. The game like I say emphasised Tiote's complete importance to the side.

They have fallen back and it is partly to do with debt and the spending rules that are coming. They are spooked. Wenger has always been pretty parsimonious with the wonga and they have strict wage rules etc...Chelsea have mostly been about Drogba and Terry being at their peak and they are coming off that now. Man U have also hit a wall in that the side is deteriorating all over the pitch wiht age injuries and lack of interest (Berbatov). Liv will not challenge for the league for at least a decade, they need to build a whole new side without Gerrard who is now beginning to show all the stress his body has been under the last decade.

Man C have a genuine chance to win the league sometime soon.........

If Mancini refrains from playing 3 DMs then they might well win the league this year.

I know it's really funny how worried he is about the midfield. A;lthough today for the first time I saw some sense in his madness.

I think with Barton though people are making too mucch of his form. He's not a right mifielder and can't beat players on their outside, so he's getting by on guile and good off the ball movement. He's also being made to look better than he is because of picking up frequent assists from free-kicks where he's floating the ball into good positions.

Cant agree at all. Of late Bartons been sheer quality playing on the right and has been delivering fantastic dead balls from all over the park. If Tiote and Barton are on their game then Nolan as a good goalscorer / poacher is handy to have in the team, especially when we only have one decent forward.

I am still hopeful that we can done some business in January and if we could get a pacy striker to play off Carrol then it would take even more pressure off Nolan. I would also like to see someone (Ferguson??) as an option instead of Jonas. Cant understand why Vuckic is not even getting on the bench.

Can we at least take a balanced enough view to say that this has been predicted? It's not some alarming unforeseen slide that can't be accounted for, everyone has said we've managed to get a decent enough first team together, but that theres nee strength i depth and as soon as key personnel are lost, we'll struggle. Well that has been borne out entirely as forecast.

We weren't going to win the league; we have to build on the positives and address the negatives.

Completely agree. Can't really say a slide has started when we've been punching way above our weight all things considered.

Reality bites.

What are you agreeing with?

Is this easier

It wasnt unforseen, we were never going to finished top 8 etc so at some point the points would start to drop

Our strongest side is canny but lacks depth hence our current plight

I believe we have the nucleus of a decent team. We have shown that in the Villa, Sunderland, & Arsenal games, but our biggest problem is: and it's synonymous with Newcastle, we lack consistancy. We are like a yo-yo when it comes to week by week performences.

I don't think it's so much of a slide, we just keep shooting ourselves in the foot.

Everyone has been all over the place this season - and look at Villa for example

it always seems to be like this after a World Cup - and normal service doesn't resume until January

I believe we have the nucleus of a decent team. We have shown that in the Villa, Sunderland, & Arsenal games, but our biggest problem is: and it's synonymous with Newcastle, we lack consistancy. We are like a yo-yo when it comes to week by week performences.

I don't think it's so much of a slide, we just keep shooting ourselves in the foot.

inconsistency = not good enough. It's THAT simple, and it hasn't always been synonymous with Newcastle.

we will be going into the last 7 or 8 games looking at the bottom 3 places. After that, its anybodys guess who would go down.

doomed.jpg

Got the entire boxed set recently apropos of nothing. I think he (was) only 1 year younger than Godfrey in real life. Didnt realise it til years afterwards but he was also in at least one of the Will Hay films and he still looked that age even back then.

Arthur Lowe's Captain Mainwaring remains one of the finest comic creations ever for me.

we will be going into the last 7 or 8 games looking at the bottom 3 places. After that, its anybodys guess who would go down.

doomed.jpg

Got the entire boxed set recently apropos of nothing. I think he (was) only 1 year younger than Godfrey in real life. Didnt realise it til years afterwards but he was also in at least one of the Will Hay films and he still looked that age even back then.

Arthur Lowe's Captain Mainwaring remains one of the finest comic creations ever for me.

Might try and get some of those myself

Caught the tail end of one the other day and couldnt stop laughing. They were in a rowing boat and ended up on train thinking they were in deepest france but they were still in blighty. :gay:

Was talking to someone about it last night and was trying to recall if it was Dads army that had the tin hatted air warden??? that they didnt like.