Attendences

smoggeordie

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
May get a bit of jip for this, but it was 'before my time', but why did we only have attendences of 16,000 in 1990?

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufchistor...cerecords.shtml

Wouldn't mind a bit of a Stevie rant here, as i've got a few mates having a go because of it!

Don't let them wind you up mate. As you know the likes of TB, mesel and others you know never used to miss ever. We got relegated in 88/89, came bottom was just after we'd sold Gazza, and in the space of 4 year we'd got rid of the three best players in the country, Gazza, Beardsley and Waddle. They all wanted to stay but had to leave because of the lack of ambition and new signings. The first season we were down was 89/90, first season of Quinn and McGhee, and this is honestly this I was only 12 but I remember it vividly, the first game of the season was against Leeds and on the way to the ground there were hundreds of blokes with USFC t shirts on basically outright abusing us for going in. There was an official boycot, and we got so much stick "McKeag lovers". The bloke who sits next to me now he's 47, looks aboot 57 mind, he told me and I can't remember this there were 10,000 people at rallies in Social Clubs all over the city that Leeds game with speeches against Gordon McKeag, he admits though that they were all fucked off when they heard we'd beat Leeds 5-2 (the favourites to go up) and Quinn got 4.

So that was the crack. Anyway the average gate wasn't 16,000, was about 23,000, but at the end of the season we lost 0-2 at home to the mackems in the play off semi final, worst night ever honestly I cried all the way home, and to make matters worse the mackems lost the play off final against Swindon, but still went up because of a Swindon betting scam (ironically against the toon).

So the next season even your floating voter was fucked off, the boycot was still on, and we were even worse on the pitch, the football that season was THE worst I've seen in my lifetime, me and the lads still went but most other people jacked it and joined the boycott. I tell you how bad it was we lost 3-0 home and away to Notts County, and I remember the crowd cheering our own player Mark Stimson's sending off. The whole point of the boycot was to force McKeag out and get The Magpie Group in, which was obviously headed by Sir John Hall. In the end because of our boycot (the ave gate was 17,000 not 16) Hall got control and we kicked on from there. Anyone who has the audacity to criticise Newcastle fans on this is a fuckin arsehole mate, they were the worst of times, the highlight of going to the match was the hot dog and onions at the end of the game, the odd streaker, and the Indian noise bloke in the East Stand.

It was our 2nd season in the 2nd division, the season before we'd seen ourselves beaten at the play offs by the scum and there was nothing to show any kind of ambition by the board following that.

Should we be relegated this season then next will see the same kind of drop in attendances (percentage wise), first time you go down you still get the backing of the fans but if you dont come straight back up or you become a yo-yo club then you lose the fans in high numbers.

EDIT: What Stevie said but the last para as the bulk of it is talking about season before.

What it does show however is that a boycott could work if people have the bottle to stick with it.

May get a bit of jip for this, but it was 'before my time', but why did we only have attendences of 16,000 in 1990?

Wouldn't mind a bit of a Stevie rant here, as i've got a few mates having a go because of it!

Judging by your username your mates are smogs, correct?

If that's the case they've got NO reason to have a pop. Glass houses anarl that...

Is it that Sheffield Wednesday fan mate? If it is they have more skeletons in their closet than Fred West on this front, as have every team in the country. Man Utd have had the best support since Munich no one can deny it, they've had leanish times by their standards and they were always number one, but I believe in terms of loyalty no one can ever touch us, you just need to remind yourself that we have 40 year old people on here who have never had us win one trophy in their life time, and you'd have to be at least 50 to remember the Fairs Cup.

Clicky

I don't post on there - you don't have to - they are seriously mentally ill and wind themselves up - but even getting good crowds on day's like Saturday winds them up.

''If we become north east top dogs/catchment/lost generation to Keegan'' etc etc. :icon_lol:

12 pages on the crowd, 40 odd on the match itself.

Is it that Sheffield Wednesday fan mate? If it is they have more skeletons in their closet than Fred West on this front, as have every team in the country. Man Utd have had the best support since Munich no one can deny it, they've had leanish times by their standards and they were always number one, but I believe in terms of loyalty no one can ever touch us, you just need to remind yourself that we have 40 year old people on here who have never had us win one trophy in their life time, and you'd have to be at least 50 to remember the Fairs Cup.

Again with you an Man U. :icon_lol:

Again with you an Man U. :icon_lol:

U N I T E D Younaatud aahh the team for me :icon_lol:

Don't let them wind you up mate. As you know the likes of TB, mesel and others you know never used to miss ever. We got relegated in 88/89, came bottom was just after we'd sold Gazza, and in the space of 4 year we'd got rid of the three best players in the country, Gazza, Beardsley and Waddle. They all wanted to stay but had to leave because of the lack of ambition and new signings. The first season we were down was 89/90, first season of Quinn and McGhee, and this is honestly this I was only 12 but I remember it vividly, the first game of the season was against Leeds and on the way to the ground there were hundreds of blokes with USFC t shirts on basically outright abusing us for going in. There was an official boycot, and we got so much stick "McKeag lovers". The bloke who sits next to me now he's 47, looks aboot 57 mind, he told me and I can't remember this there were 10,000 people at rallies in Social Clubs all over the city that Leeds game with speeches against Gordon McKeag, he admits though that they were all fucked off when they heard we'd beat Leeds 5-2 (the favourites to go up) and Quinn got 4.

So that was the crack. Anyway the average gate wasn't 16,000, was about 23,000, but at the end of the season we lost 0-2 at home to the mackems in the play off semi final, worst night ever honestly I cried all the way home, and to make matters worse the mackems lost the play off final against Swindon, but still went up because of a Swindon betting scam (ironically against the toon).

So the next season even your floating voter was fucked off, the boycot was still on, and we were even worse on the pitch, the football that season was THE worst I've seen in my lifetime, me and the lads still went but most other people jacked it and joined the boycott. I tell you how bad it was we lost 3-0 home and away to Notts County, and I remember the crowd cheering our own player Mark Stimson's sending off. The whole point of the boycot was to force McKeag out and get The Magpie Group in, which was obviously headed by Sir John Hall. In the end because of our boycot (the ave gate was 17,000 not 16) Hall got control and we kicked on from there. Anyone who has the audacity to criticise Newcastle fans on this is a fuckin arsehole mate, they were the worst of times, the highlight of going to the match was the hot dog and onions at the end of the game, the odd streaker, and the Indian noise bloke in the East Stand.

I'd for forgotten all about him. He just disapeared one seaon!

I must be about the same age as you mate and I have to say I can't really remember too much about the protests at all. I remember there was a lot of people stayed away back then and Sack the Board chants were common place but I can't remember too much else. I do remember the Leeds game and how good Quinn and John Gallagher looked (shame he picked up that injury because he looked like he would turn out a star!) but can't remember too much more from them days. Fortunately I was on holiday in Florida when the played the scum so it doesn't stick with me a much. Watching the Boro game on the big screen on the last day of the season sticks with me like.

Most of the reasons are given already on here for our lower crowds but you've always got to look at the opposition crowds as well as certain circumstances, we actually bucked the trend by getting lower crowds post Italia '90 after the boom in football started to take off, however, crowds around the country were fucking terrible and couldn't get much worse, we were at our lowest ebb as a club but still kept the hardcore, believe me what we were getting attendence wise at our lowest point in our history, top league clubs were struggling to get, Anyone on here remember Paul Goddard getting the winner at Highbury? Well he scored it in front of 19,000. The likes of Villa and Everton were getting average gates of around 15,000 in the top league and in Everton's case almost doubled it when they won the title the next year, (Still only got 32,000, mind). People always pick out the 1990-91 season when they have a pop at our gates, well given our recent history, getting three sub 20,000 average gates since the turn of the last century isn't too bad especially when you look at the gates of other more successful and higher placed clubs.

The abysmal crowds in the top division mentioned by Howman lasted from about the mid 80s till the premier league started (and don't forget the day it started we had the top crowd against Southend) - I've always pointed out that Villa singing "Where were you..." really bugs me as I remember watching Gazza destroy them at Villa park in 85 in front of 12k.

I must be about the same age as you mate and I have to say I can't really remember too much about the protests at all. I remember there was a lot of people stayed away back then and Sack the Board chants were common place but I can't remember too much else. I do remember the Leeds game and how good Quinn and John Gallagher looked (shame he picked up that injury because he looked like he would turn out a star!) but can't remember too much more from them days. Fortunately I was on holiday in Florida when the played the scum so it doesn't stick with me a much. Watching the Boro game on the big screen on the last day of the season sticks with me like.

What age are yee like mate? 31-33? The sack the board chants happened even in 88 that's when I really started noticing it. I remember we won 2-1 at Anfield one week, the next we were 0-3 down at home to Coventry at half time, and someone in the Gallowgate started singin sit down sit down to the tune of Play up Pompey, then everyone joined in and next thing you know the entire Gallowgate was sitting down on the terraces, was amazing, you think the amount of pisses people had on them terraces and there's 15,000 sitting down having a sit down protest. Fuck knows what good it was supposed to do, about the same as younguns turning up at 12 on Saturday to sing Ashley is a FC etc..

Edited by You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

Nah its a man city supporting lad.

The Wednesday fan was giving me jip the other day though, then proceeded to tell me how class they were after beating Bristol Rovers :icon_lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthbmagic

Dont they give a loads of tickets away for nowt? Theyve give loads freebies away at the toon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

No they don't.

That's what we do

jacorsl

Subs Bench

Re: 50,137 at SJP

----------------------

had to chuckle at that

Edited by JaMoUsE

Nah its a man city supporting lad.

The Wednesday fan was giving me jip the other day though, then proceeded to tell me how class they were after beating Bristol Rovers :icon_lol:

As an instant put-down for those wonderfully loyal Man City fans, ask them what the attendance was for their game against Mansfield on 5th December, 1998. If they tell you it was more than 3,007 then they are lying.... (658 were away fans). They then crammed in a whopping 8,595 (1,143 away fans) a week later for an FA Cup replay against Darlington....

To be fair to Man City they have a pretty decent attendance record in the league in the last 30 odd years. In fact, it is amazingly similar to Newcastle's which makes it all the more ridiculous that they sing the "Where Were You" song more than anyone.

However, after delving deep, it brings us immense pleasure to report that between the years of 1963 and 1965, years of generally large football attendances, Manchester City were sh*t, and Maine Road was empty:

63/64 Season - 12 matches below 20,000, six below 15,000, one below 10,000, including:

8,053 17/3/64 Middlesbrough Div 2

11,060 21/12/63 Rotherham Div 2

11,411 22/2/64 Grimsby Div 2

11,908 7/3/64 Derby Div 2

64/65 Season - only 4 matches ABOVE 20,000, TEN below 15,000 and two below 10,000, including:

8,015 16/1/65 Swindon Div 2

8,409 28/4/65 Charlton Div 2

10,215 14/10/64 Newcastle United! Div 2

10,470 20/2/65 Southampton Div 2

10,804 17/4/65 Coventry City Div 2

10,929 31/4/65 Plymouth Div 2

Now if that isn't "playing regularly in front of 10,000" I don't know what is. Then Joe Mercer and Malcolm Allison took over and it all took off again.

Also, 1970 European Cup Winners Cup Final (held in Austria) - 10,000. Very poor.

In recent times we managed to dig out a couple of 15,000 crowds from the 1987/88 season. Other than that, it's the League Cup and the tin pots where they look bad. And if they try and tell you the League Cup is a tin pot, just remind them how excited they were when some mackem fell over backwards and the ball bounced in off his shin pad at Wembley in 1976.

Main competitions

9,373 8/10/86 Southend Littlewoods Cup

15,172 4/4/88 Reading Div 2 (12 other crowds sub 20,000 in 87/88)

15,430 16/9/88 Millwall Div 2

8,551 22/9/87 Wolves Littlewoods Cup

9,454 18/9/88 Plymouth Littlewoods Cup

12,204 10/10/90 Torquay Rumbelows Cup

10,987 25/9/91 Chester Rumbelows Cup

9,967 23/9/92 Bristol Rovers Rumbelows Cup

9,280 9/9/83 Reading Coca Cola Cup

16,266 4/3/95 Norwich Premier League

11,545 5/10/94 Barnet Coca Cola Cup

11,474 4/10/95 Wycombe Coca Cola Cup

11,106 13/11/98 Halifax FA Cup

8,595 15/12/98 Darlington FA Cup

10,063 19/8/98 Notts Co. Worthington Cup

11,074 11/8/99 Burnley Worthington Cup

Tin Pot cups

4,914 4/11/86 Wimbledon Full Members Cup

6,383 26/11/86 Watford Full Members Cup

11,027 31/1/87 Ipswich Full Members Cup

5,051 10/11/87 Plymouth Full Members Cup

6,402 16/12/87 Chelsea Full Members Cup

6,406 9/12/90 Middlesbrough Full Members Cup

3,007 8/12/98 Mansfield Auto Windshields Cup

Some astonishing facts:

1) During the 96-97 Season Man City had 5 managers.

2) According to a press conference, Man City were appointing a "big name manager with a proven track record". Imagine everyone's surprise when Alan Ball popped out from behind a (very small) screen.

3) The correct pronunciation of the name "Tueart" is "Twat"

4) The Maine Road stadium took just 4 months to build and cost a measly £100,000. The initial capacity was 70,000 with plans to extend it to 120,000. This never happened, (just goes to show that even in the 1920's they thought they were more massive than they really are). The old ground at Hyde Road was redeveloped into a bus skidpan for training bus drivers how to really scare passengers, and was later home to the Manchester Police helicopter. It is now derelict land, clearly visible from the Manchester - Stockport train line.

5) The final league game at Hyde Road was a 0-0 draw with Newcastle United on 28/4/23. It was the 3rd consecutive season City had played Newcastle on the last day of the season. Bizarrely, on each occasion they had also played the corresponding fixture the previous week.

6) In spite of the nominal 70,000 capacity of Maine Road, 84,569 were shoehorned into the ground for an FA Cup match v Stoke in 1934. The previous year, 72,000+ had watched a match involving Man City in which hundreds of people were injured and at least one was killed in a crush. The venue? Hillsborough.

7) Denis Law famously scored for Man City v Man United with his final touch in professional football in the last game of the season when Man U were relegated in 1974. Less well known is that he had done exactly the same while playing for Man United v Man City in the 62/63 season when he earned a penalty against his old club in the dying minutes of the penultimate game of the season to deny City both points. They lost the next game and were relegated.

8) Man City had a bad week at the end of the 25/26 season - on 24/4 they lost the FA Cup Final. A week later, they came to St.James, lost 3-2, missed a penalty and got relegated by a single point.

9) The following season, 26/27, Portsmouth and Man City went into the last game of the season level on points, Portsmouth with a slightly better goal average. A big win for City would surely see them promoted as runners up to Middlesbrough. They tonked Bradford 8-0 to give them a goal average of 1.770. If only Portsmouth hadn't put 5 past Preston at the same time.... Portsmouth went up with a goal difference of 1.775, the narrowest margin ever.

10) Man City were champions in 36/37. The same squad was relegated the following season.

11) Man City's status as the poor relations in Manchester is arguably a direct result of their own generosity. After the Luftwaffe had flattened Old Trafford in the war (nice one Herrmann), City allowed United to play their fixtures at Maine Road. After a couple of years, the lodgers were attracting bigger crowds than their landlords, and have never looked back. If only they'd told them to bugger off and play in the park, Matt Busby wouldn't have built his side, they wouldn't have won the championship in 1957 and wouldn't have been anywhere near Munich in 1958. The enormous global sympathy that ensued wouldn't have happened and Manchester United wouldn't be the biggest club from Singapore to Delhi.

Huge thanks to DMac for some outstanding investigative work.

http://www.nufc.com/html/where-.html

The only reason Man City were getting such good gates in DIVISION THREE was because it was a 10a to get in and it was just after euro 96 and all attendances had a massive boom, Oasis were cool, compare their gates in the top flight in the 80's to that, they're shit. I hate Man City, mouthy nobheads. Tell him to come back when they bring more than 1,200 to SJP. They can't even sell out Blackburn 15 mile up the road.

Don't have to add to what has already been said re:McKeag, but the first & failed flotation really put the strength of the supporter 'boycott' into perspective.

Was a bad time to float the club that. IIRC it wasn't a proper floatation. Fans were invited to buy stakes in the club rather than the club being floated on the stock exchange, it was around 1990/1991 and iirc was the country not about to go in to a recession? Not only that a Northern club had never at that point had such a similar scheme and such was the fans lack of faith, eroded by years of shit, in the club that it flopped.

Don't have to add to what has already been said re:McKeag, but the first & failed flotation really put the strength of the supporter 'boycott' into perspective.

Was a bad time to float the club that. IIRC it wasn't a proper floatation. Fans were invited to buy stakes in the club rather than the club being floated on the stock exchange, it was around 1990/1991 and iirc was the country not about to go in to a recession? Not only that a Northern club had never at that point had such a similar scheme and such was the fans lack of faith, eroded by years of shit, in the club that it flopped.

Hall also mis-sold it by saying that businesses were ready to invest millions - they fucking weren't. Plenty people were willing to stump up £100 but even a few thousand times £100 was way short.

What age are yee like mate? 31-33? The sack the board chants happened even in 88 that's when I really started noticing it. I remember we won 2-1 at Anfield one week, the next we were 0-3 down at home to Coventry at half time, and someone in the Gallowgate started singin sit down sit down to the tune of Play up Pompey, then everyone joined in and next thing you know the entire Gallowgate was sitting down on the terraces, was amazing, you think the amount of pisses people had on them terraces and there's 15,000 sitting down having a sit down protest. Fuck knows what good it was supposed to do, about the same as younguns turning up at 12 on Saturday to sing Ashley is a FC etc..

34 mate. My memory is shite but sack the board chants just seemed to go on for years to me. It just seemed like the norm then.

That Liverpool game was my first ever away game. Wasn't Macfaul sacked after that Coventry game? It's quite ironic that that season was probably the only time I can remember the old board spending any money witth Bessant, Thorne, Hendrie and (the massive success that was) John Robertson all coming in.