Darren Peacock

LeazesMag

good centre half, but not as good as Steve Howey.

Shaky start but grew into it imo, I'd have picked him over Howey as a partner for Albert.

Aye, when all 3 were at the club, Peacock and Albert were the best partnership.

I think one of the reasons we signed him was that Keegan asked Andy Cole who do you least like playing against, and Cole said Peacock.

yes he did.

I don't really agree that Albert was ahead of Peacock and Howey though, but that's because I just prefer out and out defenders in central defence. He was a good footballer sure, and his goal against ManU will never be forgotten and put the lid on one of the great performances. I think Keegan bought him to give us something different, maybe he was thinking of playing an attacking central defender and going 3 at the back against some of the weaker teams ? but if he did, he didn't seem to do it too often.

Used to get no end of stick from an old fella in the row in front of us for being a "hippy". When someone finally told him to give it a rest he said his son had long hair too so it was OK. Weirdest variation on a theme of "I'm not a racist, I have black friends" I've ever encountered. :lol:

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

Hate to go against the grain here, but I thought he was shite and cost us points. Albert and Howey were better centre halfs imo, perhaps if we had someone like Colin Hendry instead of him in 96 we'd have won the league. Hendry was the best CB in the league imo.

Also he was a scruff hate seeing players with their shirts hangin out, tuck them in you bamps. I remember he had a worse speech impediment than Gareth Gates, SKY invited him on for a game one week and it was taking him 20 seconds to get a sentence out, needless to say they didn't invite him back.

Hate to go against the grain here, but I thought he was shite and cost us points. Albert and Howey were better centre halfs imo, perhaps if we had someone like Colin Hendry instead of him in 96 we'd have won the league. Hendry was the best CB in the league imo.

Also he was a scruff hate seeing players with their shirts hangin out, tuck them in you bamps. I remember he had a worse speech impediment than Gareth Gates, SKY invited him on for a game one week and it was taking him 20 seconds to get a sentence out, needless to say they didn't invite him back.

if we had had Colin Hendry, I agree with you because he was a top centre half.

If we had also signed Brad Friedel we may have won the title too, no offence to Pav either, but he couldn't get the work permit when he would have signed for us.

On such small things, you get the luck or you don't, or the difference between 1st and 2nd is decided.

Friedel was a liability at Liverpool. He only got his career on track when he moved on.

Peacock had a very shaky start for the Toon but managed to win around a lot of fans in the end. I used to be a massive Howey fan. He was finished after 1 particular injury though. When I first saw him move to CB from CF I said to my Dad: "This lad will play for England".

Albert was smooth.

Albert and Howey were better, but they were both ball playing centrehalves who liked to wander up and get involved (Howey started out as a forward don't forget and Alber was, well, just marauding!).

I think the best centre half partnerships combine a ball playing reader-of-the-game type and kick it-head it- tackle it more physical presence, and thats what Peacock brought (although he wasn't the hardest. Agree that Hendry would've been perfect).

Albert and Howey were both sweepers though. I thought Peacock was decent like, possibly a bit too honest for his own good at times. You're right though in that someone like Colin Hendry would've probably made the difference in our winning the league although, tbf, it was probably more down to players like Rob Lee and Sir Les not quite doing the business in the final third of that season that really cost us, rather than the defence.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
Better than Kevin Scott.

I thnk people are looking back atr Peacock with rose tinted glasses, he was very average. He was a decent marker, but the ball at his feet, oh dear. We were pleased when he went to Blackburn.

Better than Kevin Scott.

I thnk people are looking back atr Peacock with rose tinted glasses, he was very average. He was a decent marker, but the ball at his feet, oh dear. We were pleased when he went to Blackburn.

I do remember slating him at the time...but I stand by my evaluation above.