The football trivia thread

Mac-Toon

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck me 7000? :lol: I knew we had some shite attendances in the past but wow

Was basically a reserve Cup. Tottenham and Arsenal have had these types of crowds for league games man. No one has had less shite gates given our history over the last 40 years than Newcastle United. It's amazing how out of town fans buy in to talksport myths, fuckin idiot. Half the people who support this club genuinely have no idea at all about our history, the culture, or the history of the pain and suffering and magnificence of the crowds we've had given what we've had to put up with for over half a century.

Edited by McFaul

Answers

1. Michael O'Neill

2. Southampton

3. Man U

4. Blackpool and Wimbledon

5. Lormor

6. Arthur Cox

7. Lee Clark and Stephen Didlick (under 18)

8. Shrewsbury in the simod cup

9. Chelsea

10. Cappielow Park (Morton)

do we want more, I will do them tomorrow ?

The next set of 10 are not so exclusive, although they are 1980's again.

Answers

1. Michael O'Neill

2. Southampton

3. Man U

4. Blackpool and Wimbledon

5. Lormor

6. Arthur Cox

7. Lee Clark and Stephen Didlick (under 18)

8. Shrewsbury in the simod cup

9. Chelsea

10. Cappielow Park (Morton)

do we want more, I will do them tomorrow ?

The next set of 10 are not so exclusive, although they are 1980's again.

Nar dee them.

Was basically a reserve Cup. Tottenham and Arsenal have had these types of crowds for league games man. No one has had less shite gates given our history over the last 40 years than Newcastle United. It's amazing how out of town fans buy in to talksport myths, fuckin idiot. Half the people who support this club genuinely have no idea at all about our history, the culture, or the history of the pain and suffering and magnificence of the crowds we've had given what we've had to put up with for over half a century.

I'm not doubting any of that, although I reckon Man United have had "less shite", when they were in Division 2 they still had the biggest crowds in England, I fucking hate Man United too, and not being born on Tyneside I naturally know fuck all about football, and always listen to Talksport because of that. Showing a surprise towards a low crowd absolutely solidifies your view

All Craig's answers are right apart from number 8. Bogie's first goal was against Shrewsbury in the Simod Cup, Dina got a last minute winner, and I remember it cos it was the lowest crowd I've ever been part of at SJP, was in the Paddock with me dad they were building the Milburn behind and it fuckin pissed it doon.

Aye you're right, I was at that game too in the same paddock! :lol:

Simod Cup was the new name for the Full Members Cup and later known as the Zenith Data Systems Cup IIRC. Created as an extra tournament when we'd been banned from Europe.

I'm not doubting any of that, although I reckon Man United have had "less shite", when they were in Division 2 they still had the biggest crowds in England, I fucking hate Man United too, and not being born on Tyneside I naturally know fuck all about football, and always listen to Talksport because of that. Showing a surprise towards a low crowd absolutely solidifies your view

On the day the world famous English Premier League had its first matches, where was the biggest football crowd in England?

Well that just shows you haven't got a clue, Man Utd's crowds were often 22 and 23000 in the Fergie era they all wanted him gone 86-89. Anyway so what they are THE club who have a bigger national fanbase than us and THE only club with a bigger local fanbase, purely because of Munich and their status in the 60's. Like I say I wouldn't support a club I had fuck all understanding about, our attendances generally given our circumstances are unparalleled anywhere in world football, anyone with an understanding of NUFC would understand that. I suppose it's the globalisation of football in general. Here's one to tell your Liverpool/Grimsby/T'Leeds/T'Blades/Yoonaatid supporting pals. There's one club in WORLD football who since 1992 have NEVER had a league gate under 30,000. Ask them who they are. WORLD football.

I went to that game at Cappielow. My dad knew someone who worked at Morton so we got to go to the dressing room before the game. Gazza came and met me and my brother and introduced us to all the players and took the piss out of them all (particularly Brian Tinnion). Gazza was so friendly and really went out his way for me and my brother, genuinely one of the nicest people I have ever met.

He then practically ran the whole length of the pitch and rounded Dave Wylie (Morton keeper) who brought him down for the penalty which he duly scored. Gazza was about a thousand times better than anyone else on the pitch, it was like watching a Premier League player guest starring for a Sunday League team (we had some utter dross in those days).

I think we signed Archie Gourlay from Morton round about then.

I went to that game at Cappielow. My dad knew someone who worked at Morton so we got to go to the dressing room before the game. Gazza came and met me and my brother and introduced us to all the players and took the piss out of them all (particularly Brian Tinnion). Gazza was so friendly and really went out his way for me and my brother, genuinely one of the nicest people I have ever met.

He then practically ran the whole length of the pitch and rounded Dave Wylie (Morton keeper) who brought him down for the penalty which he duly scored. Gazza was about a thousand times better than anyone else on the pitch, it was like watching a Premier League player guest starring for a Sunday League team (we had some utter dross in those days).

Archie Gourlay [/shudders]

Well that just shows you haven't got a clue, Man Utd's crowds were often 22 and 23000 in the Fergie era they all wanted him gone 86-89. Anyway so what they are THE club who have a bigger national fanbase than us and THE only club with a bigger local fanbase, purely because of Munich and their status in the 60's. Like I say I wouldn't support a club I had fuck all understanding about, our attendances generally given our circumstances are unparalleled anywhere in world football, anyone with an understanding of NUFC would understand that. I suppose it's the globalisation of football in general. Here's one to tell your Liverpool/Grimsby/T'Leeds/T'Blades/Yoonaatid supporting pals. There's one club in WORLD football who since 1992 have NEVER had a league gate under 30,000. Ask them who they are. WORLD football.

Okay, sure, if you say so, however one Champions League/good spell wasn't going to make them as well supported as they were, even pre Fergie they were one of the best supported clubs in the world. I guess that's Newcastle? I don't know, I don't live in Tyneside so I know nothing about football ;), so what was Barcelonas lowest post-92 home attendance? I'll go tell my friends, although I must admit that I don't live in Yorkshire, never have done and know no Leeds/Sheffield United/ even Hull fans.

Okay, sure, if you say so, however one Champions League/good spell wasn't going to make them as well supported as they were, even pre Fergie they were one of the best supported clubs in the world. I guess that's Newcastle? I don't know I don't live in Tyneside so I know nothing about football ;), so what was Barcelonas lowest post-92 home attendance? I'll go tell my friends, although I must admit that I don't live in Yorkshire, never have done and know no Leeds/Sheffield United/ even Hull fans.

Good lad.

Aye, amazing to think how far we've come since then.

Aye, amazing to think how far we've come since then.

Did ye hear that Alan Oliver or Ryder used Gary Brazil as an example of a shite late 80s player and he rang the paper up distraught complaining :lol: only a few years agan that.

next set of questions

1. September 1st 1984 was a memorable day for NUFC fans. Why ?

2. Name 3 United stars in the last 3 years [ie pre-1988-89] to start their career with Wallsend Boys Club

3. 11 players made their debut for United in season 1986/87. Name 3 defenders

4. Who appeared 57 times for Man U and another 51 times as a substitute

5. Who was nicknamed "Rambo"

6. Which club did United face in their debut in the Full Members Cup

7. Which former United player made his debut for England in 1988

8. In 1986/87 United started the season with a new record. What was it ?

9. Which player was signed from a London club in 1987, the fee being decided by a tribunal

10. Who was the last NUFC player to have a testimonial at SJP (remember again, this was 1988)

Next set of questions - I will try and find a section concerning more of a general history of the club, for the younger lads. The questions were still put together in 1988 though.

1. Were we top of the league (when the table was first published i.e. after 3 or 4 games back in those days)?

2. Not sure I understood that but could only think of Watson, Elliott and Clark

3. Tony Cunningham? Erm...

4. ?

5. ?

6. I seem to remember us losing 6-2 or something to Everton (who were class then).

7. I'll guess at Gazza. I don't think he made his debut until after he went to Spurs.

8. ?

9. Glynn Hodges? (another guess)

10. Kenny Wharton?

next set of questions

1. September 1st 1984 was a memorable day for NUFC fans. Why ? Toon signed Beardsley

2. Name 3 United stars in the last 3 years [ie pre-1988-89] to start their career with Wallsend Boys Club - Jeff Wrightson, Neil McDonald, Iain Bogie

3. 11 players made their debut for United in season 1986/87. Name 3 defenders Peter Jackson, Jeff Wrightson, Kevin Scott

4. Who appeared 57 times for Man U and another 51 times as a substitute Davie Mac

5. Who was nicknamed "Rambo" George Riley

6. Which club did United face in their debut in the Full Members Cup Everton

7. Which former United player made his debut for England in 1988 Gazza

8. In 1986/87 United started the season with a new record. What was it ?

9. Which player was signed from a London club in 1987, the fee being decided by a tribunal - Paul Goddard

10. Who was the last NUFC player to have a testimonial at SJP (remember again, this was 1988) - Kenny Wharton

Next set of questions - I will try and find a section concerning more of a general history of the club, for the younger lads. The questions were still put together in 1988 though.

Actually, is 4 David McCreery?

thats what I think, but I'm not looking at the answers just yet.

Edit.

it could be Alan Davies (RIP) but I think its McCreery.

Edited by LeazesMag

next set of questions

1. September 1st 1984 was a memorable day for NUFC fans. Why ? We went to the top of the 1st Division

2. Name 3 United stars in the last 3 years [ie pre-1988-89] to start their career with Wallsend Boys Club Peter Beardsley / Paul Ferris / Jeff Wrightson / Neil McDonald / Joe Allon

3. 11 players made their debut for United in season 1986/87. Name 3 defenders Peter Jackson / Kevin Scott / Brian Tinnion

4. Who appeared 57 times for Man U and another 51 times as a substituteDavid McCreery

5. Who was nicknamed "Rambo"George Reilly

6. Which club did United face in their debut in the Full Members Cup Everton - beat us 5-2

7. Which former United player made his debut for England in 1988 Paul Gascoigne

8. In 1986/87 United started the season with a new record. What was it ?Most consecutive games from start of season without a win

9. Which player was signed from a London club in 1987, the fee being decided by a tribunal Glyn Hodges

10. Who was the last NUFC player to have a testimonial at SJP (remember again, this was 1988) Kenny Wharton

George Riley, aye. Rings a bell now. I was thinking of a keeper. Kept thinking of John Burridge but knew it wasn't him (Budgie).

BTW - responded to LM's questions without reading any of the responses first. Your guess about Glyn Hodges is spot on - only because I remember reading it in a book and them mentioning McFaul bought him with the intention of replacing Beardsley! :lol:

This is brilliant Leazes - keep it up! ;)

George Riley, aye. Rings a bell now. I was thinking of a keeper. Kept thinking of John Burridge but knew it wasn't him (Budgie).

BTW - responded to LM's questions without reading any of the responses first. Your guess about Glyn Hodges is spot on - only because I remember reading it in a book and them mentioning McFaul bought him with the intention of replacing Beardsley! :lol:

This is brilliant Leazes - keep it up! :icon_lol:

how much time do you think I have ;)

There are hundreds of questions....

maybe you should give someone else a chance :blush:

next set. Not a bad book for 50p at Tynemouth market eh ......

1. In which 4 seasons have Newcastle won the Football League Championship

2. When did Newcastle first play under that title ? Was it 1882, 1888 or 1892

3. United have appeared in 11 FA Cup Finals [up to 1988]. What was the last final in which United did not concede a goal and in which year

4. United turned pro in 1889, and became a limited company in 1890, but when were they actually formed and under what title

5. The clubs youth side have twice won the FA Youth Cup. In which years ?

6. United have won promotion from division 2 on 4 occasions [up to 1988]. In which season did they win the 2nd division championship

7. The Magpies hae appeared in 13 FA Cup Semi finals and lost on only 2 occasions. Once was in 1909, when was the other and who were the opposition

8. The club as won the FA Charity Shield only once, was it in 1933, 1909 1910 or 1953

9. The black and whites brought home the Football League War Cup in 1941. True of False

10. The Magpies have won the Central league Championship [old reserve league before the premiership started]. In which year ?

Edited by LeazesMag

This is brilliant Leazes - keep it up! :icon_lol:

how much time do you think I have ;)

There are hundreds of questions....

maybe you should give someone else a chance :blush:

I gave him three quarters of the answers in two minutes.