Spurs v Wham Stadium Schazam.

Park Life

Tottenham plan to demolish Olympic Stadium and rebuild

Olympic Park Tottenham Hotspur intend to demolish the new Olympic Stadium and rebuild it as a specific football venue. Photograph: Rex Features

Tottenham Hotspur today went on the offensive in the increasingly bitter battle to win control of the Olympic Stadium in Stratford, arguing that their bid rivals West Ham United would struggle to fill it and leave fans so far from the pitch that in some cases they would be unable to see the ball.

Tottenham also unveiled plans to refurbish Crystal Palace as a 25,000-capacity athletics stadium to compensate for ripping out the track from the Olympic Stadium to knock down the venue and rebuild it as a dedicated football ground.

Spurs, who estimate that moving to Stratford would be roughly £200m cheaper than an alternative plan to rebuild White Hart Lane, will also create an athletics "legacy fund" that they claim would fulfil the commitments made to the sport when London won the Games in 2005.

The plan was immediately labelled "woefully inadequate" by Ed Warner, the chairman of UK Athletics, which is backing West Ham's joint bid with Newham Council. It would retain the track, reducing the 80,000-capacity stadium to 60,000 seats and promising a multi-sport solution with football in the winter and athletics and cricket in the summer.

The Olympic Park Legacy Company is expected to announce a preferred bidder by 28 January, although that could still slip into next month, with a final decision made in conjunction with the government and the mayor by the end of March.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

60,000 is too big for Tottenham anyway. They haven't had a history of good support for about 40 years. As soon as they return to their natural midtable berth 40,000 would be too big. They say "we have a 15,000 waiting list", so we'd get 55,000 now, but what the daft cunts forget to say is the 15,000 on the waiting list the majority of them get match to match tickets now as it is anyway, because they only have 20,000 season ticket holders, and you need to be on their list to get a day to day ticket. Small club, shit fanbase, they won't have 3,000 here next week nailed on.

'So Mr. Levy, you'd like our stadium?'

'Yes we would'

'What are you plans for the stadium to ensure that there is a lasting legacy to Olympics?'

'We're going to knock it down'

Can't see this going well for them.

'Yes we would'

'What are you plans for the stadium to ensure that there is a lasting legacy to Olympics?'

:lol: exactly what I thought, I'd be in utter shock if Spurs get it after telling them that's the plan. Fwiw Stevie's right in all 60k for Spurs is a joke it is a total joke for West Ham in all.

'Yes we would'

:lol:

More to the point, if Spurs won this they'd no longer be playing in Tottenham.

I've heard talk of them changing their name if they win.

There are some pros to Spurs winning it but it's just not something that I'm comfortable with. The biggest con concerning West Ham's bid is simply the possibility of them getting relegated and having a 60k seater stadium to fill and pay for whilst in a lower league.

More to the point, if Spurs won this they'd no longer be playing in Tottenham.

I've heard talk of them changing their name if they win.

There are some pros to Spurs winning it but it's just not something that I'm comfortable with. The biggest con concerning West Ham's bid is simply the possibility of them getting relegated and having a 60k seater stadium to fill and pay for whilst in a lower league.

West Ham should never win, they're definitely going down this season and I'm not sure we'll be seeing them again for years to come. This has been on the cards ever since the Icelanders crashed and burned, their squad has been littered with overpaid deadweight ever since and yet they continue to spunk out money on terrible players and managers. Wayne Bridge on 90k a week FFS.

• 4 weeks later...
West Ham beat Tottenham to Olympic stadium

West Ham have won the battle for the 2012 stadium, BBC London has learned.

Olympic Park Legacy Company (OPLC) executives have decided the offer from the club is a better solution than the rival bid from Tottenham.

The OPLC board will be asked to support the view at a meeting on Friday, when it is expected to confirm West Ham as its preferred bidder.

The government and London's mayor, Boris Johnson, will then take a final decision in the coming weeks.

It would be a surprise if ministers and the mayor overturn OPLC executives, who have spent the last few months discussing the various plans with both clubs in detail.

West Ham are happy for the athletics track to be kept in the stadium and for the venue to be used for a variety of sports and concerts.

Tottenham's plans were to dismantle the stadium in Stratford and build a new football ground in its place.

The Spurs proposal has faced huge criticism from the athletics world, MPs and the public.

A recent BBC London poll suggested 81% of Londoners were against the proposals to rip up the athletics track.

The ComRes phone poll, carried out between 21 and 23 January, also suggested 72% of people in London wanted West Ham to get the stadium, with only 13% supporting Tottenham.

Ministers and the mayor are understood to be well aware that the Tottenham option would have been a "hard sell" to taxpayers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12412739

Thank god common sense has prevailed.

YES!!! Im so happy about this.

NORTH LONDON IS OURS!!!!

We get to stay at Tottenham and laugh at West Ham with 20K in a 60K stadium!!

Fuck you Levy!!!!

I seem to remember not too long ago you being all keen on the idea of moving to Stratford....

Also does the fact that you'll only the 5th best stadia in London not bother you? ;)

What now for the WHL development Danny?.....what are the "planning issues" that are causing the problems?...was Levy "planning" to have more cash for it than he's got?....

Levy himself said that the redevelopment of the the WHL site is no longer considerable.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Herts they go.....

What now for the WHL development Danny?.....what are the "planning issues" that are causing the problems?...was Levy "planning" to have more cash for it than he's got?....

Levy himself said that the redevelopment of the the WHL site is no longer considerable.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Herts they go.....

Fuckin hell theyve bought up every shithole/bombsite/ruin within a 3 mile radius of WHL...wonder who'll be keen on taking that lot off their hands?....the "stars" of my big fat gypsy wedding spring to mind ;)

G-d how deep do you want to go? There are a few propeties around the ground refusing to sell up (Rudolphs being one of them - big pub next to the gates), however the council has said they will push through compulsory purchase orders.

Then theres the infrastructure issues, an extension to the Northern Line was mooted but it is going to be expensive. That was Levys excuse for wanting to move us as the OS infrastructure would be in place. What they dont seem to have considered is that 60K athletics fans wont turn up half an hour before kick off like they will at football.

My view is that AEG want to basically own that part of London and turn it into an entertainment fun land. I believe it was Levys exit stategy from the club, bringing in AEG to expanding their sports team portfolio.

This will go to court no doubt. In our view our offer was superior in every aspect. Levy will cite outside interference from all those who have bad mouthed the club (including that slag Brady). And damages will be sought.

Someone I spoke whos bank underwrote our bid told me if we lost you are looking at a 1bn law suit.

Edited by DesperateDannyB

NORTH LONDON IS OURS!!!!

Fuck you Levy!!!!

I seem to remember not too long ago you being all keen on the idea of moving to Stratford....

Also does the fact that you'll only the 5th best stadia in London not bother you? ;)

Erm fuck off, I have been anti the move since it mooted. Im happy as a pig in shit right now!!

NORTH LONDON IS OURS!!!!

Fuck you Levy!!!!

Erm fuck off, I have been anti the move since it mooted. Im happy as a pig in shit right now!!

It only means you're off elsewhere. Levy has made if pretty clear you're not staying in the immediate vacinity.

NORTH LONDON IS OURS!!!!

Fuck you Levy!!!!

It only means you're off elsewhere. Levy has made if pretty clear you're not staying in the immediate vacinity.

Lets just hope thats just pushing Haringey to get their house in order

Someone I spoke whos bank underwrote our bid told me if we lost you are looking at a 1bn law suit.

eh?...THFC will sue the Olympic Legacy quango type thing for 1billion they plainly don't have?....or sue West Ham?...ditto....

and if you're so anti the move to Stratford why the hostility towards Brady and what you feel she said to scupper Levy's plans?

you want to make you're mind up mate...isnt it just the case that Levt can't afford a top 5 squad and a new stadium?

eh?...THFC will sue the Olympic Legacy quango type thing for 1billion they plainly don't have?....or sue West Ham?...ditto....

and if you're so anti the move to Stratford why the hostility towards Brady and what you feel she said to scupper Levy's plans?

you want to make you're mind up mate...isnt it just the case that Levy can't afford a top 5 squad and a new stadium?

About the top and bottom of it. Levy was so determined to do it on the cheap that he was prepared to move the club, YOUR club Danny across the city. It's fucking sacrolidge tbh.

G-d how deep do you want to go? There are a few propeties around the ground refusing to sell up (Rudolphs being one of them - big pub next to the gates), however the council has said they will push through compulsory purchase orders.

Then theres the infrastructure issues, an extension to the Northern Line was mooted but it is going to be expensive. That was Levys excuse for wanting to move us as the OS infrastructure would be in place. What they dont seem to have considered is that 60K athletics fans wont turn up half an hour before kick off like they will at football.

My view is that AEG want to basically own that part of London and turn it into an entertainment fun land. I believe it was Levys exit stategy from the club, bringing in AEG to expanding their sports team portfolio.

This will go to court no doubt. In our view our offer was superior in every aspect. Levy will cite outside interference from all those who have bad mouthed the club (including that slag Brady). And damages will be sought.

So, hang on, you didn't want the new stadia, but you're behind a law suit to sue because you didn't get it?

The sad thing in all of this Danny, and there's no denying it, is you've learned about it on the forum of a different club. More than that, you're still here discussing it with us.

If I'd learned something of that magnitude about NUFC - even if from a different source, I'd be on here talking about it - not with a bunch of people who don't have a vested interest.

The sad thing in all of this Danny, and there's no denying it, is you've learned about it on the forum of a different club. More than that, you're still here discussing it with us.

If I'd learned something of that magnitude about NUFC - even if from a different source, I'd be on here talking about it - not with a bunch of people who don't have a vested interest.

Erm i was posting on the spurs board about it before i came on here.

I came on here to tell you lot and someone had beat me too it...god knows why as you dont have a vested interest (obsessed)

Guest Marshall-Baines

NORTH LONDON IS OURS!!!!

Fuck you Levy!!!!

Instead of 30,000 in a 60,000 ground if you'd have got it, both should be realistic about who they are, and stay where they are in my opinion.