Smith vrs Guthrie

KeithJ

I think this argument is the greatest one to have at the moment.

Smith

Puts in a tackle and will get in the face of the other team. He will wind them up and bring in a more agressive side to the game. Unfortunately, as a footballer, he has went down hill since injury at Manure however has been a great influence on the dressing room.

Guthrie

Has some great passing skills and crossing. Unfortunately, can get caught napping on the ball and sometimes just doesnt seem to care about football far less Newcastle United.

Who would you prefer?

Smith for me, at least he actually does something, albeit nearly break the other teams temper with some spirited challenges. I think Guthrie should be sold to another team. I would recommend him to a Championship club but never any higher! He needs to sort out his attitude but on £4k a week, I guess thats to be expected!

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

Both shite. I didn't want Smith to be hurt, he's a human with feelings no matter how shit and how big a mug he is, but I couldn't have been more thrilled than when he came off. Fair play for abusing the mackems when he was coming off though. Guthrie - PNE captain 2016.

I think this argument is the greatest one to have at the moment.

Smith

Puts in a tackle and will get in the face of the other team. He will wind them up and bring in a more agressive side to the game. Unfortunately, as a footballer, he has went down hill since injury at Manure however has been a great influence on the dressing room.

Guthrie

Has some great passing skills and crossing. Unfortunately, can get caught napping on the ball and sometimes just doesnt seem to care about football far less Newcastle United.

Who would you prefer?

Smith for me, at least he actually does something, albeit nearly break the other teams temper with some spirited challenges. I think Guthrie should be sold to another team. I would recommend him to a Championship club but never any higher! He needs to sort out his attitude but on £4k a week, I guess thats to be expected!

Guthrie is a youngster, Smith isn't. Regardless, Guthrie can be good, Smith can't. No brainer, Guthrie.

Guthrie for sure. He's been poor in a few games for us this season, and seems to have been frazzled off the field by something according to our resident peeping pud, but he was quite good yesterday and is a good passer of the ball (compared to Smith he's Xabi Alonso). Is sometimes ffound wanting too much time on the ball which can cost us on fast breaks, but generally he values possession much more than Smith. Smith's not even a better tackler, they both tackle like forwards, the only thing that Smith offers is that he must annoy the fuck out of opposition players nattering on always and being excessively physical.

Gosling should also figure into things. On the strength of his 10 minutes against Sunderland he didn't look much, but it would be ridiculous to judge him on that. Was good to get him on the pitch for us, so next game he plays won't be his debut.

guthrie seems to have suffered from nicky butt's influence. when he first came here he used to actually use his passing ability to pick out passes and start attacks, nowadays it seems he's more obsessed with keeping possession - making him either play a sideways ball to someone in space guaranteed to keep the ball, or dally on it when he doesnt have a guaranteed option on.

shame. if keegan had stayed guthrie couldve been coached into a fine player. as could jonas tbh. hughton and our current coaches, for all their obvious skill at whipping our defence into shape (offside trap is currently majestic in our back 4), clearly cant train attackers properly. most of them seem to have gone backwards since arriving.

oh, and to answer the question, guthrie all day. his legs actually work, and at least he's noticeable. when smith plays it's like we have 10 men.

Don't rate either, Smith is a striker who cant score and a midfielder that can't pass/tackle

Guthrie, I thought was gonna improve but not looking that way. He has ability, shame he isn't showing it.

If we are struggling in the middle then I would play Barton or even Colo as cdm in front of those 2. Hope Tiote doesn't get too many bans/injuries

Not sure where this obsession with a defensive midfielder comes from anyway. The position doesn't really exist in a conventional 4-4-2 which is, more or less what we play. I'd be inclined to play Nolan and Barton in the middle over the two mentioned though.

Thought Guthrie had a good second half.

Yeah, he did alright. We were trying to play football and he contributed to that rather than being a hindrance to it, like Smith is/was.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
Not sure where this obsession with a defensive midfielder comes from anyway. The position doesn't really exist in a conventional 4-4-2 which is, more or less what we play. I'd be inclined to play Nolan and Barton in the middle over the two mentioned though.

The thing is Fergie thought of Smith as defensive midfielder, so the rest of the footballing world thought ah well if Fergie thinks he's mint in that holding role he must be. He's dire, I can type sober this morning even though I'm suffering THE worst hangover ever in life, and I can say truthfully I didn't want Smith to get hurt yesterday, but I was delighted when he went off. I mean even saying he's a disgrace, I'm probably wrong for that, he tries his best he's just fuckin pish. I'd try my best, I'd probably get booed like, but he shouldn't play for us again. That side ways pass he gave Barton after about 15-20 mins 4 men on him I just lot it and shouted get that cunt off now. Hopefully there'll be a dignified exit this window.

Regarding DMC's Alex, they're spoiling football, I was waiting for Sevilla beating Espanyol the other other night for over 500 quid, and Espanyol had 3 people doing fuck all but sitting in front of the back four, no wonder football and the World Cup last year in particular is now boring as fuck.

The midfielder who sits deeper and wins the ball/puts in tackles. The thing Tiote does to a tee

Thought Guthrie had a good second half.

Yeah, he did alright. We were trying to play football and he contributed to that rather than being a hindrance to it, like Smith is/was.

Benefitting from lowered expectations tbh but he looked composed on the ball and remembered to give himself space when collecting the ball, which was pleasing to see.

The midfielder who sits deeper and wins the ball/puts in tackles. The thing Tiote does to a tee

Well yeah but he doesn't just sit there in a 4-4-2. Obviously Nolan is further forward but Tiote gets all around the pitch and doesn't play the position in the way Makelele did at Chelsea in a midfield 3/5 with wingers. I don't think either Barton or Colocinni are suited to that role either way and you'd also be removing two of the best players in the side from roles they're far more suited to.

The thing is Fergie thought of Smith as defensive midfielder, so the rest of the footballing world thought ah well if Fergie thinks he's mint in that holding role he must be. He's dire, I can type sober this morning even though I'm suffering THE worst hangover ever in life, and I can say truthfully I didn't want Smith to get hurt yesterday, but I was delighted when he went off. I mean even saying he's a disgrace, I'm probably wrong for that, he tries his best he's just fuckin pish. I'd try my best, I'd probably get booed like, but he shouldn't play for us again. That side ways pass he gave Barton after about 15-20 mins 4 men on him I just lot it and shouted get that cunt off now. Hopefully there'll be a dignified exit this window.

Regarding DMC's Alex, they're spoiling football, I was waiting for Sevilla beating Espanyol the other other night for over 500 quid, and Espanyol had 3 people doing fuck all but sitting in front of the back four, no wonder football and the World Cup last year in particular is now boring as fuck.

I was pleased when he went off too. Basically, he does nothing well any more. He wasn't even that good last season. He started well and got worse imo, and also, to borrow Chez's phrase, benefitted from lower expectations. Nolan visibly benefitted last year when Smith got injured and Guthrie came in instead. Like you say, Smith tries but, if anything, that just shows even more clearly that he's absolutely finished.