John Carver

Giraffidae

Well, I assume thats just because its when the end of the season is. He clearly wasnt the first choice and it seems to make sense to see if he and AP can work together before making it permanent.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The short length deal is a good move by the club given he's never worked with Pardew. Given Pardew's fancy for the roulette table and a few beers & colleagues wives and girlfriends, his stock is a lot higher with Ashley and Llambias than somebody they've never met. :lol:

Failed at Plymouth....gets a job at Sheff Utd....Fails there....Gets a job at Newcastle.

Talk about falling on your feet.

Kevin Dillon has just come free, he would have been a better choice imo.

How did he fail at Plymouth???? He was only there a few month as assistant to a proven clown Paul Marriner. At Sheffield United he was under Wankwell, was given the managers job on a temp basis with a squad depleted by injuries, so where has he failed? He was described by SBR as his best assistant ever, baring in mind Mourinho was his assistant it's some statement, not one assistant in Tottenham's history can say they were a right hand man when the club qualified for the champions league TWICE. Talk about things you know like call rates and making out bound calls. Kevin Dillon :lol: aye another mackem, just what we need.

Why does it matter if hes a Mackem? He worked with Pardew at Reading so they will know each other. He played with your lot so he knows the club well enough and he has just come free from Aldershot.

Makes more sense to me.

Maybe he was asked and didnt want to uproot the family.

The 4 month deal does, to me,raise the question of who made the appointment.

Pardew is saying that Carver is an unknown entity to him. Why would he choose an assistant he's unsure of, unless it wasn't up to him?

The 4 month deal does, to me,raise the question of who made the appointment.

Pardew is saying that Carver is an unknown entity to him. Why would he choose an assistant he's unsure of, unless it wasn't up to him?

Cheap option giving the fans a name they know after others weren't interested in the job? [/cynic]

ALAN PARDEW has insisted that the arrival of his new No 2 John Carver will help to ensure Newcastle United do not “make the same mistakes of the past”.

Carver remained on board at St James’ Park during the ill-fated Graeme Souness era as the fiery Scot dismantled Sir Bobby Robson’s side and the Magpies slumped from fifth place to 14th place in just 12 months.

Now Pardew hopes that the return of the popular Geordie coach can help bring back some of the “great years” to Tyneside.

Pardew is obviously keen to put his own personal stamp on his Toon side and there has been plenty of evidence of that in his first six games in charge. Fans have seen a major improvement from set-pieces and a greater attacking impetus, resulting in three wins and a draw in the Pardew era so far.

Pardew told the Chronicle: “You can’t disguise the link with Sir Bobby and JC – and nor would I want to.

“He was here alongside Sir Bobby during those great years. And those are the years that we want to bring back.”

United crumbled in the aftermath of Sir Bobby’s departure and were flirting with relegation under Souness before he was sacked by Freddy Shepherd.

Glenn Roeder steadied the ship but, after managerial chopping and changing saw Sam Allardyce, Kevin Keegan, Chris Hughton (three times), Joe Kinnear and Alan Shearer look after team affairs, the instability led to relegation.

Pardew hopes that the return of Carver can help bring some much-needed stability. He said: “The great thing is that John can help guide me and make sure we don’t make the same mistakes of the past.

“The fans can trust him with the team because he is Newcastle United through and through.”

Pardew says that Carver was the first person to be offered the position despite talk of Chris Powell, Phil Parkinson and Peter Taylor coming to Tyneside.

He said: “I wanted to take my time. But John Carver fits in perfectly with what we have here – I couldn’t think of anybody better.

“He was the first person that we offered the job to, despite all of the names.

“There are various reasons why we did that.

“But once JC left Sheffield United, he was the obvious choice.”

Meanwhile, Wayne Routledge is poised to join QPR on loan until the end of the season in a switch that could become permanent at the end of the campaign.

The Chronicle revealed QPR’s interest on Monday night but, despite talk in London that QPR starlet Adel Taarabt will be heading the other direction, I understand that a move for the 21-year-old may not happen until the summer.

Pardew was still working away on a list of transfer targets today but, while Shaun Wright-Phillips has been made readily available by Manchester City, the Toon boss has other priorities on his list to work through first.

:: SPURS have signed midfielder Steven Pienaar from Everton for a fee believed to be between £2.5m-£3m. He could make his debut at St James’ Park on Saturday

Agree about the set pieces being better but it reallys boils my piss we are not using the old nobby to shearer blast. I think Enrique could execute that perfectly.

Maybe JC will introduce it.

:lol:

Agree about the set pieces being better but it reallys boils my piss we are not using the old nobby to shearer blast. I think Enrique could execute that perfectly.

Maybe JC will introduce it.

:lol:

Whats funny about that?

Seriously? I thought you were taking the piss.

They only did that because Shearer couldn't do anything from a free-kick except blast it after his last injury. Also it was hardly a coaching masterstroke that came up with it (you seriously telling me that's the first time you'd seen it done before then in a match? It's Sunday League stuff tbh). On top of that it must have came off about twice (I can only remember it happening once - against Blackburn). Finally, how many times has Enrique scored from a long shot since he arrived here? I'll give you a clue - he's only got one goal and it wasn't from a long shot.

I was being serious like and I seem to remember it coming off a lot more than twice. (don't know how we'd check ).

I'm not suggesting it's the only thing we do, more that it was something we used to do from a certain range (close in) and something we don't do now.

I also think Enrique could execute it, given the power of his shot. I even thought they were about to do it against Sunderland when Enrique took up position only for Barton to shoo him away at the last minute before skying it.

I was being serious like and I seem to remember it coming off a lot more than twice. (don't know how we'd check ).

Well you could list the times you remember it coming off for a start.

With my memory :o

Need someone with a Shearers goals dvd

:lol: For future reference: "seem" and "don't" are not synonyms.

It rarely beat the wall as I remember it, I used to groan when we were lining it up.

Edited by alex

With my memory ;)

Need someone with a Shearers goals dvd

:lol: For future reference: "seem" and "don't" are not synonyms.

It rarely beat the wall as I remember it, I used to groan when we were lining it up.

Never understood english very well :o

Had a quick google and it says he only ever scored from 5 free kicks for us. Obviously all of those wont have been the type I fer too, so you may be right with 2. Im honestly amazed as I though he had scored a lot more.

Still think its a canny free kick to try again.

Edited by Christmas Tree

His first goal for us was a free-kick against Wimbledon, when he scored in the top corner as the press went from 'hasn't scored yet' (like it was a crisis after about two games or something) to 'hasn't scored from open play' ffs. That stat of 5 goals might not tell the story though tbf, since perhaps it wouldn't include any goals scored that way since they weren't 'direct from a free-kick'. I don't think Barney is right that it was only from indirect ones though, especially as he took a canny few iirc and indirect free-kicks are so rare these days. I still think it's worth making the point we only did it because he couldn't bend the ball round a wall any more and they were charged down so often / hit the wall because the extra touch gave the defenders an extra half second or so to close it down. Either way we haven't got anyone anywhere near the ability of Solano, Robert or (pre-injury) Shearer to stick it in the top corner, which is where we were spoilt in years gone by.