Stephen Ireland...

Shear3r

Injured again according to twitter. This time for the season with an ankle injury.

Hope we can set up another loan deal rather than a purchase. (if at all)

Confirmed by .cock

What a fantastic piece of business.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody can legislate for him picking up two new injuries in his time here after he got over the long term one we knew about so i don't think it was a bad decision to get him here as long as it was pay as you play. Whats a shame is we haven't now got any idea what form he's in and if it looks worth signing him as i imagine we could get him fairly cheap from Villa, IF Houllier stays on after his illness.

As Papa says, Houllier staying/going will have a big say on his future.

A new manager might really rate him and the fans will likely give him a 2nd chance.

Shame as if he recaptured any of his form from when he played under Hughes he'd be a superb addition to the squad.

Nobody can legislate for him picking up two new injuries in his time here after he got over the long term one we knew about so i don't think it was a bad decision to get him here as long as it was pay as you play. Whats a shame is we haven't now got any idea what form he's in and if it looks worth signing him as i imagine we could get him fairly cheap from Villa, IF Houllier stays on after his illness.

The fact that will sway if for the FCB is that Ireland will be cheap. So we will probably sign him despite the fact that he is an injury prone wanker and we dont have a clue if he is any good. Marvellous.

Depends what you mean by cheap.

Just say for the sake of argument he's on 80k at Villa (not a stretch given he came reluctantly from Man City) and they were paying half his wages for the loan (or it was pay as you go as suggested) - I can't see us starting to pay those kinds of wages again even for frees.

I'd still be keen on signing him provided he gets the all clear from the medical. He's proved he's a good player, would improve the squad, knows the league and probably just needs a good summer/pre-season to get properly fit. I know it's a risk but his injury problems may be related to trying to get back on the pitch too soon or just bad luck.