Stephen Ireland...

Shear3r

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I meant you can't make a judgement on a player you know nothing about.

Did I make a judgement ? Non!

You made a judgement on comments about the player. If you're now saying that wasn't making a judgement on the player itself it makes even less sense. Houllier's comments are of course relevent, but that's not what I was picking you up on. I have reservations about his loss of form myself fwiw.

With added:

:lol:

:blush:

What makes me chuckle is the fact people are moaning about him spunking money on fishtanks, shit alloys for his motor etc.

Who cares? We have Carroll & Barton who have spent their pasttimes smashing fuck out of people.

If he comes in and Pardew gives him regular games and he does the business on the pitch and doesnt cause an issue in the dressing room (which IMO he wont) then I couldnt careless if he turned upto training in a fluffy VW Beetle.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
I share the concerns about where he'd fit in and (more particularly about the lack of options in positions wide) but it could be a very good move if he can recapture anything like the form of a couple of seasons ago. I'm also a bit concerned about the lack of pace in the side, especially with Routledge going.

Aye, hopefully that will be rectified in the summer.

To say he's worse than Smith and Guthrie is an insult to peoples intelligence imo though, one thing I love about him is what a cool finisher he is.

Girrafidae if GH SAID right straight swap Smith for Ireland you'd say, no? :lol:

swapping him wasn’t the point I was making Stevie, tell a Villa fan how great Stephen Ireland is for them and watch them :blush::icon_lol::blush: :blush: at you.

Villa fans are some of the least knowledgable football supporters I've ever encountered though.

must be because they’ve all got the wrong postcode.

More to do with the fact they're wanks tbh, and they are.

I share the concerns about where he'd fit in and (more particularly about the lack of options in positions wide) but it could be a very good move if he can recapture anything like the form of a couple of seasons ago. I'm also a bit concerned about the lack of pace in the side, especially with Routledge going.

To say he's worse than Smith and Guthrie is an insult to peoples intelligence imo though, one thing I love about him is what a cool finisher he is.

Girrafidae if GH SAID right straight swap Smith for Ireland you'd say, no? :lol:

swapping him wasn’t the point I was making Stevie, tell a Villa fan how great Stephen Ireland is for them and watch them :blush::icon_lol::blush: :blush: at you.

Villa fans are some of the least knowledgable football supporters I've ever encountered though.

Houllier's given up on him as well. Have you seen him Ireland play recently?

No and neither have you because he hasn't played, and when he has fleetingly he's come off the bench. It's basic concepts of football, you suffer illness or injury you need a run of games to get your form back, he hasn't anything like that for over 12 months even though he was involved in most of CITY's games last season.

Was he shit last season for City? Not sure tbh as I didn't watch that much PL football for some reason :lol: but I got the impression he was decent but surplus to requirements (a la Bellamy).

Was he shit last season for City? Not sure tbh as I didn't watch that much PL football for some reason :lol: but I got the impression he was decent but surplus to requirements (a la Bellamy).

He played less than the previous season, but enough to keep his form decent and scored some decent goals.

Well that's pretty much it he was ok, he didn't start every game but he got chances in a £400m squad. The problem with his move to Villa is he made his debut at the toon where they lost 6-0, was pretty poor and was castigated for it straight away. Houllier didn't like him because he thinks he's a luxury, he's feeling unwanted etc, etc... nothing to do with him completely losing his ability. Circumstantial shit most footballers go through in their career.

When I saw him play for City last season (not even a handful of games mind you) he seemed to be very caught up in the notion that City were better than they actually were - overplaying the ball ridiculously, constantly trying backheels and the like at the expense of doing the basics.

Prior to that for them he was excellent and had a very canny knack of scoring, timing his runs into the box well, linking up with other players in sweeping passing movements.

When I saw him play for City last season (not even a handful of games mind you) he seemed to be very caught up in the notion that City were better than they actually were - overplaying the ball ridiculously, constantly trying backheels and the like at the expense of doing the basics.

Prior to that for them he was excellent and had a very canny knack of scoring, timing his runs into the box well, linking up with other players in sweeping passing movements.

2008/2009 I think was his best season, he created a lot and scored just as many goals. I can remember Hughes coming out and saying Ireland was the one who kept their season going.

No and neither have you because he hasn't played, and when he has fleetingly he's come off the bench. It's basic concepts of football, you suffer illness or injury you need a run of games to get your form back, he hasn't anything like that for over 12 months even though he was involved in most of CITY's games last season.

he wasn’t playing for City much after his drop in form following his ‘virus’ September 2009, and also Mancini took over and didn’t start him. Whenever he has started for Villa he’s been crap, including the 6-0 here.

I do realise that players need match fitness, if it was that simple then there would of been signs of improvement after 10 matches for Villa, Villa obviously don’t see any. I hope he does get his form back because he WAS a top class player.

he wasn’t playing for City much after his drop in form following his ‘virus’ September 2009

which is true. as I remember, he started all the games for City up until the last week of September 2009, he started a few more games after that and a few as sub.

What point/dig are you trying to make?

He still managed 22 games. So not bad to say he was "off form" after his virus.

He didn’t play 22 games for City after his virus, most of those games he started were before. City tried to give him a run of games after he got it but was nowhere near his old form, making mainly sub appearances in the second half of the season.

What is your point/dig?