Ashley's Transfer History thread

Happy Face

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So at the moment, none of the Carroll fee has been spent to improve the team yet ?

I know, it's disgraceful. We could have got 2 Michael Owens now for 34 million, instead of 3 young promising players for nothing. Yes, Freddie was brilliant, he really was!!! Oh, and Albert Luque!

To be fair to Alan Pardew, if he puts together a good team with his hands tied like they are and no backing by his boss, it will be one hell of a good job and will deserve a lot of praise for it.

And it beggars the question, maybe if he IS backed, he might put together a team close to adding to all those european qualifications achieved under the old owners.

The signings have been great so far and we've beaten some other clubs to the chase!

I'm positive at the moment but seriously worried about outgoings.

To be fair to Alan Pardew, if he puts together a good team with his hands tied like they are and no backing by his boss, it will be one hell of a good job and will deserve a lot of praise for it.

And it beggars the question, maybe if he IS backed, he might put together a team close to adding to all those european qualifications achieved under the old owners.

I don't think Parsnip has a say whatsoever in any transfer, in or out. He's the coach i.e. coach the players whoever they are and has to either like it or walk.

I don't think Parsnip has a say whatsoever in any transfer, in or out. He's the coach i.e. coach the players whoever they are and has to either like it or walk.

you think someone else has picked these new players ? I'm not sure about that, but I certainly agree he is being told who to sell.

Not much point in calculating the spend yet.

It's a bit odd to calculate the wages over a contract too, it's all about the wages as a % of turnover. Since turnover is annual then next years turnover will impact on the net income of the club. If the net income of the club is zero at the current wage level then adding to the wage bill will need to be financed by money from sales etc. However, that is unsustainable in business as you have to then rely on sales to fund wages. Wages must come from operational income, which are the normal predictable income streams. The only way it makes sense to include sales money in how high you set the wage bill is if you see the wages paid as an investment to generate extra income. Which would mean qualifying for Europe etc. Asset sales, I think, are usually referred to as 'exceptional' items on accounts so don't form part of your income which should be allocated to wages.

In short I don't get how income from asset sales / players can be used in the longer term to fund wages.

I suppose it can if the years sales income covers the fees and is provided/held against the value of the contract, which I'm guessing would show as "cash at bank" on a diminishing balance in relation to the player.

Amortisation adds a strange dimension as well though, they're paying "cash up front" but that'll be charged year on year, as fee divided by length of contract so the player value depreciates (in the books) so, for example, if Collocini was sold for £10 Mill next year (one year left) his book value will be £2Mill at the time, so that's a profit of £8Mill next year. So they bought him for £10Mill sold him for the same amount but made an £8Mill profit in the year of sale !! Is that real money then ????? I suppose it must be.

I think amortisation is a bit of red herring, the business is run on cashflow to pay wages and player sales. We need to look at the last 2 seasons finance.

What are the current best estimates on our wage bill? £55m+? What was our income in the championship? £45m? What are the operating costs beyond wages for running the club? £15m+

On that basis we could have lost around £30m last year, the wage bill was lower last year so possibly only £20m. They are just rough estimates. Income from last season could have risen by £50m for extra TV. I'm sure i saw a table of TV revenue for this year's premiership at some point recently. This must mean the money has been paid to the clubs already. We should therefore have the same £45m from the championship + £50m of TV money maybe plus some more. The wage bill has risen and at current has risen again with Cabaye or Ba but only by a £2.5m roughly.

There therefore should already be money available. Ignoring Carroll just for a moment, we've spent around £15m since January 2010. Roughly we should have £95m (Income) which has gone one - £55m (wages) - £15m (Operating expenses) - £15m (Players). Which would leave £10m to spend.

Then you have the Carroll money. If this is a realistic assessment then, ignoring the debt just for a moment, he could spend £20m on 4 players who earn £10m a year. If he doesnt do that then maybe that assessment of the money situation is wrong, or people are very right to point out that he should be doing this and if he isnt then he must be prioritising debt (which should be stable and non-interest bearing) instead of showing ambition for the club.

Which is in essence what I've been saying, as in 1st Sept will be interesting. We will know exactly which way he's going as he (the club) aren't running down the hill after the ball any more, they have (he has) the choice.

035ostrich_468x538.jpg

Any other manager in the League would walk if they were having to do the job Pardews doing, he's got no say in Transfers in or out i reckon

Who are you proposing does make the decisions, Carr? Surely not Fat Mike or Dekka..

As Harry Redknapp said he was yesterday.

These days it seems to be the way of the world that managers only have a limited input into transfers.

A meeting will take place where the money men and the manager draw up a list of requirements for the coming window. The scouts then try to find players to fit those requirements. Another meeting will then take place where Im sure the same "committee" agrees which ones to move for.

There will be the odd exception to this scenario but I would guess not many.

Who are you proposing does make the decisions, Carr? Surely not Fat Mike or Dekka..

As I posted last week, I reckon someone [could well be Carr] has the ear of LardAsh, like Wise did a while ago. Of course, I could be wrong but these current signings/prospective signings just seem the work of scout(s) eg Carr and/or agents telling NUFC about release clauses and players going cheap(ish).

As I posted last week, I reckon someone [could well be Carr] has the ear of LardAsh, like Wise did a while ago. Of course, I could be wrong but these current signings/prospective signings just seem the work of scout(s) eg Carr and/or agents telling NUFC about release clauses and players going cheap(ish).

could be right. This is, unfortunately, the setup of the club, with a "structure and a plan" that people such as CT, Deano, jaysouthernmag, Toonpack, Dr Gloom to name a few, were wanting only a few short years ago. They have their wish.

have we used any of that 40m quid yet to replace our top two goalscorers including one of the best captains in the business ?

The simple basic truth is Mike Ashley is a fat fucking conman and is still conning some deluded stupid people out there.

Edited by LeazesMag

have we used any of that 40m quid yet to replace our top two goalscorers including one of the best captains in the business ?

The simple basic truth is Mike Ashley is a fat fucking conman and is still conning some deluded stupid people out there.

We've used about about £5m of it so far, Merveaux and Ba replacing the goal threat lost by Nolan (with added athleticism and pace) and Cabaye has strengthened the midfield.

So far, still a long way to go though. Even if we sign e.g. Sturridge, the players going out will counter-balance this. As it stands the squad is arguably stronger for now, so progress is good if not emphatic. I spent saturday night with French lads who follow Ligue 1 avidly. They reckon Cabaye is a better player overall than Merveaux but the latter can be more dangerous when on form. They all know me as simply 'newcastle' and as soon as i arrived they were all excited about discussing the 2 signings as 'great news' for us. They are biased of course, they want Ligue 1 to be considered a 'top league' which we all know is not quite true.

could be right. This is, unfortunately, the setup of the club, with a "structure and a plan" that people such as CT, Deano, jaysouthernmag, Toonpack, Dr Gloom to name a few, were wanting only a few short years ago. They have their wish.

A structure and a plan?? You say that as though its a bad thing.

I take it you prefer the no structure no plan plan. Somehow that doesn't surprise me one bit

A structure and a plan?? You say that as though its a bad thing.

I take it you prefer the no structure no plan plan. Somehow that doesn't surprise me one bit

especially when numerous people claimed we qualified for the champions League and europe more in 15 years than anybody bar 4 clubs but never had a "plan", and everybody but us had a "plan" and all we needed to do better was a "plan"

Do keep up.

...here we go again! :icon_lol:

don't blame me this time :icon_lol:

You mention me in your posts and I will reply, simple. Most of your assumptions about me are wrong anyway

the irony.

But you think Mike Ashley is going to do better than the previous owners, right ? And you think his transfer policy is "better" [while we are waiting for the results to reflect it, 4 years down the line], right ?

Please clarify, or forever hold your peace and admit you are talking shite.

...here we go again! :icon_lol:

don't blame me this time :icon_lol:

You mention me in your posts and I will reply, simple. Most of your assumptions about me are wrong anyway

the irony.

But you think Mike Ashley is going to do better than the previous owners, right ? And you think his transfer policy is "better" [while we are waiting for the results to reflect it, 4 years down the line], right ?

Please clarify, or forever hold your peace and admit you are talking shite.

Arsehole!!!

I answered that yesterday why dont you read it? I never said Ashley was better. I have pointed out mistakes made by the old owners.

Do you think the old owners could compete in todays transfer market with the top 4 or 5?? If so explain how?

An excellent post, from Toontoon off skunkers, that place full of morons as per LM (TT being one of LM's favourite morons):

To finish top 4 you need the best players, or a pretty good decent sized squad, those who pay the most wages finish higher up the table in general, the team who likes to buck the trend is NUFC, we spend big and finish lower than expected Example here from 2008, I'd love us to buck the trend the other way and spend small to finish high but it just doesnt happen.

These days you need a wage bill of about £130m a year to get into the CL in England, assuming you dont want to go bust with debts that means you need a turnover of near £260m, how do NUFC raise an additional £160m+? Extra league place cash and TV money mean you'd get a few mor million but £130m, no chance. City's wage bill is £107m, over 100% of turnover, do you know anyone who fancies losing £100m a year on a team?

To get into the CL and stay top 4 you need to have the cash to reinvest, pay wages etc, this needs to come through the gae as TV money alone isnt enough.

Even in our best days under Freddy our gate receipts were £36m, these days Man Utd bring in £100m, Arsenal £100m, with a bit of inflation we might be near £40m but we are in a recession now so who knows, about £60m short anyway.

The average NUFC fan pays ~£30 a PL game, the average Man Utd fan pays £50 and Arsenal £60, Chelsea even higher, even during our CL days under Freddy we could only get to £37 a game per fan again there was no recession then, with more games to play and fill the ground you need more fans, the same fans cant stump up £37 per game across 19 PL games and another 10 Cup games, when we were in the CL we struggled to sell out, in the Europa league tickets were cheap, the Carling cup has been a cheap game for us for eons, all this not because we dont have lots of fans we dont have enough rich fans.

The bloke who owns his season ticket wont go to all cup games or needs rock bottom prices to do it, then the next fan is expected to take his place, at Man Utd they have day trippers and southerners who are happy to go to a carling cup game and nowt else we dont.

The north east doesnt have enough fans with enough money or enough corporates to bring in the cash to compete at the top of the game, no northern teams do other than Man Utd who have their global fan base, Liverpool have fallen off and are being bankrolled, London has about 15 million people to support 2/3 top teams, when one fan doesnt go someone else steps in with cash, in the North east for the cup games and now som league games its empty seats or discounted prices, both mean you cant afford the top wages.

This is of course unpalatable to some but the numbers speak for themselves, Ashley may be a fat cockney bastard but hes done the sums, we cant chase it as we cant afford it, something Freddy never worked out.

Our one and only chance under the current system is finding someone willing to lose ~£100m a year like City have, I dont see that person coming over the hill.

Somebody better tell Mike that...

“Mike knows where we should be in four or five years,” managing director said. ”We want to be challenging for Europe every season.”

I think we can challenge for Europe but it will be C.L. it will be Europa league, we should be competing for a top 7 finish every season