Ashley's Transfer History thread

Happy Face

It just shows we're on the right track on and off the pitch, you then factor in that next year we will have improved finances due to the virgin deal as well as more money from a higher league finish and it's looking good for us to push on, hopefully the year after we will have more from Europa football and it gets better still.

I expect us to add 2 or 3 quality players in the summer that are capable of walking into the first team after hearing this, if they do crackdown on the financial fair play rules then it makes the position even sweeter for us.

I'd be very happy with three first teamers in the summer and no significant losses.

I've accepted that if we get a huge offer or a player is refusing to sign a new contract then he would leave, with Coloccini signing a new contract it only leaves Ba left with a question mark hanging over him, other than that the current spine of the team are all tied to long term deals so it's going to take an impressive offer to take one of our players.

With Smith and Lovenkrands likely to be off in the summer it opens up a chance to make some improvements to the squad and first team.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that we now appear to be reasonably self-sufficient it would need to be a silly offer for us to sell one of our top performers. If Tiote went for £20m then I wouldn't be happy at all.

Given that we now appear to be reasonably self-sufficient it would need to be a silly offer for us to sell one of our top performers. If Tiote went for £20m then I wouldn't be happy at all.

I agree, we should be looking for cover for him rather than selling him.

Another fullback and centre back are what we need this summer, if Ben Arfa isn't going to stay out on the right then a new winger too.

it should also be a position from where they add more quality to the team rather than selling another top player, but we'll leave that particular angle for a few months shall we ?

You mean something along the lines of spending £10m on a new striker only a few weeks ago?

with 20m+ quid left from the Carroll cash in the kitty to hand to the manager and attempt to further improve the team, they shouldn't have to sell anyone else to bring in more quality players, wouldn't you agree ? And do you think this will happen ?

Shame it didn't cement possible Europa League qualification this season, mind, maybe that was a step too far in the "plan".

Edited by LeazesMag

it should also be a position from where they add more quality to the team rather than selling another top player, but we'll leave that particular angle for a few months shall we ?

You mean something along the lines of spending £10m on a new striker only a few weeks ago?

with 20m+ quid left from the Carroll cash in the kitty to hand to the manager and attempt to further improve the team, they shouldn't have to sell anyone else to bring in more quality players, wouldn't you agree ? And do you think this will happen ?

Shame it didn't cement possible Europa League qualification this season, mind, maybe that was a step too far in the "plan".

I'm pretty sure we'll qualify for the Europa League like. Only Everton or Sunderland can stop us via the FA Cup and they won't.

No matter what happens Ashley is a cunt, but there's some canny times ahead, and he's not going to spoil it for me, I'm absolutely convinced we'll sign Erik Pieters, he's flirting with the toon on a daily basis on twitter, if we get him and a centre half, a creative midfielder, and a good striker, we should be looking even higher than 7th next season, which I concede is probably where we'll come this season.

I hate this "Where's the rest of the Carroll money went?" shite. It doesn't go in a big pot marked 'transfers', it goes into the running of the club, you know, like an entity that is turning a profit which means a more sustainable way of succeeding rather than just hoying cash about and paying manager's severances.

I hate this "Where's the rest of the Carroll money went?" shite. It doesn't go in a big pot marked 'transfers', it goes into the running of the club, you know, like an entity that is turning a profit which means a more sustainable way of succeeding rather than just hoying cash about and paying manager's severances.

progressive clubs realise that this money should go to the manager, its part of backing him as much as possible. 2nd rate clubs sell players and then use the money elsewhere. A club like NUFC - with the 14th biggest revenues in football [this is a fact, FAO Gemmill particularly] 5 years ago, should not need to deflect money elsewhere like this. How much more revenues are needed to not have to deflect money like this ? Shouldn't the manager expect the money recouped from sales to change/hopefully improve the team as he sees fit, because he is the team manager ?

This has been pointed out before, what is it about it that you don't understand ?

Harping on about 14th highest revenues without any willingness or ability to appreciate the financial mess the club was in, and the fact that this needed to be tackled.

Pointless anyone taking to you about finance because it's beyond the grasp of your tiny mind. You think it's a simple as having a list of numbers that must add up to, AT MOST, zero, or else the club isn't showing ambition. At best the list will add up to a number as negative as possible, and then we'll be on the right track.

Harping on about 14th highest revenues without any willingness or ability to appreciate the financial mess the club was in, and the fact that this needed to be tackled.

Pointless anyone taking to you about finance because it's beyond the grasp of your tiny mind. You think it's a simple as having a list of numbers that must add up to, AT MOST, zero, or else the club isn't showing ambition. At best the list will add up to a number as negative as possible, and then we'll be on the right track.

so says the bloke who was happy to hoy as much at Souness as he required to "build his team".

My point is fairly straightforward, with the 14th biggest revenues coming in, why do they need more to meet normal operational costs ? Do the 13 clubs that were above us need to do this ? Has he presided over a fall in revenues ? Who's fault is that, and how does he need to restore them again to the high levels that they were, as put against our rivals ?

I am wondering when people like you are going to stop making excuses for him.

Edited by LeazesMag

I am wondering when people like you are going to stop making excuses for him.

For providing a half decent foundation to get back into Europe? For signing Krul and Coloccini to new deals? For hiring John Carver? For paying £10 million for a player every fucker was after? I'm far from the bloke's biggest fan since he personally seems to revel in winding us up and his relationship with the fans could be vastly improved if we were all pulling in the same direction with him in that regard but the set-up at the club atm is doing wonders considering we were getting beat off Scunthorpe two seasons ago.

Revenue isn't everything. We also had an unmanageably large wage bill, some absolutely terrible players on huge contracts that w couldn't shift and a bunch of debt from player acquisitions. All courtesy of your pal Freddy (and not me, as you insist on transferring the blame for the idiotic mistakes of the Shepherd era to me).

Yes, Ashley presided over a reduction in revenue, but he has also presided over a return to profitability, and as demonstrated in January, we can still spend when we need to. I expect to see more of this now that the club can support itself financially. You on the other hand will keep waving a calculator with the answer to 35 minus whatever has been spent since on it, and bemoaning the fact that it doesn't come to zero. All the while ignoring the very obvious progress that is being made.

Your unwillingness to budge on the black/white view you have where Ashley is concerned is ridiculous. Nothing that happens can be seen as positive by you, and it has long since turned you into a cartoonish idiot.

Revenue isn't everything. We also had an unmanageably large wage bill, some absolutely terrible players on huge contracts that w couldn't shift and a bunch of debt from player acquisitions. All courtesy of your pal Freddy (and not me, as you insist on transferring the blame for the idiotic mistakes of the Shepherd era to me).

Yes, Ashley presided over a reduction in revenue, but he has also presided over a return to profitability, and as demonstrated in January, we can still spend when we need to. I expect to see more of this now that the club can support itself financially. You on the other hand will keep waving a calculator with the answer to 35 minus whatever has been spent since on it, and bemoaning the fact that it doesn't come to zero. All the while ignoring the very obvious progress that is being made.

Your unwillingness to budge on the black/white view you have where Ashley is concerned is ridiculous. Nothing that happens can be seen as positive by you, and it has long since turned you into a cartoonish idiot.

so he is running a tighter ship, with smaller outgoings and lower income levels and making a small operational profit if possible. Just how exactly does a big club succeed in football without speculating to accumulate and competing with the other clubs who are speculating to accumulate, some of whom have smaller fanbases than we do, don't have sugar daddies, and are smaller clubs than we are ?

It makes me laugh this, the amount of financial whizz kids who don't understand football and think it is the same as a High Street store.

You still don't get the idea and the concept of what to do to succeed in football and what it entails, do you ? Chez does, because he mentioned it a few years ago. If you don't, work it out.

Otherwise, if you are happy to lower your standards and expectations of success at football in return for a tighter financial ship and would prefer to see a good set of accounts than a club aiming for success on the pitch, congratulations on finally realising what I've been saying for years that you too have bickered with me about.

You will all come round in the end, although you will never admit it.

Edited by LeazesMag

Pointless replying to the man who doesn't understand anything and rarely even bothers to read what people actually say to him (see above).

as I said, congratulations on finally realising what I've been telling you for years, unless of course you can tell us how Mike Ashley is going to turn NUFC into a successful football club by selling our best players and not backing the manager ?

Make sure you actually read this, its a genuine question and I'm curious as to how you think it can be done, as you don't reply to my earlier post.

He is not selling the best players. And he is not not backing the manager. And the only reason you continue to be "right" in your rapidly deteriorating head is because you believe that things that AREN'T happening are happening. Like the above.

If you actually joined the real world and face up to the fact that you are in fact wrong in the stuff you're coming out with, you might get some enjoyment out of how well the club is currently doing.

Being right is more important to you though, so you continue to ignore facts and look like a fool in the process. I can't believe i'm entertaining your idiotic views by replying. You are so far beyond help, it's unreal.

Let me save you the need to reply by saying that I know that "what is UNREAL, is YOU, a so called accountant supporting the backing of Souness with unlimited funds. It is laughable that you think that selling the best players and not backing the manager is the way to run a successful club. When will you and others learn that what I have been saying for the past 5 years is right?"

I know it all, so no need to repeat it. You are the all seeing, all knowing Nostradamus of this board.

He is not selling the best players. And he is not not backing the manager. And the only reason you continue to be "right" in your rapidly deteriorating head is because you believe that things that AREN'T happening are happening. Like the above.

If you actually joined the real world and face up to the fact that you are in fact wrong in the stuff you're coming out with, you might get some enjoyment out of how well the club is currently doing.

Being right is more important to you though, so you continue to ignore facts and look like a fool in the process. I can't believe i'm entertaining your idiotic views by replying. You are so far beyond help, it's unreal.

Let me save you the need to reply by saying that I know that "what is UNREAL, is YOU, a so called accountant supporting the backing of Souness with unlimited funds. It is laughable that you think that selling the best players and not backing the manager is the way to run a successful club. When will you and others learn that what I have been saying for the past 5 years is right?"

I know it all, so no need to repeat it. You are the all seeing, all knowing Nostradamus of this board.

you are wrong. You have been wrong for all this time, and you are still wrong.

He HAS and IS and WILL continue to sell the best players, and NOT back the manager with the money. He IS and WILL CONTINUE to sell a player if an operational profit is not obtained, because it is easier and less risky for him to gamble on reaching the higher league positions and the Champions League places.

He IS running the club as a vehicle to sit alongside Sports Direct, he IS happy with preserving premiership status which IS the main priority in order to promote Sports Direct, and this IS the main target for this very purpose, with minimum outlay, anything further than that is a bonus.

He HAS [and STILL IS] lowered expectations among foolish supporters who are now content to swap aiming for success for a good balance sheet.

He will NOT match the league positions of his predecessors on a consistent basis, so far he has not done this, and this will continue.

Edited by LeazesMag

To be fair, as I pointed out somewhere or other, he HAS sold 4 out of 7 of our best players (as sanctioned by a Toontastic poll) from last season.

Edited by Happy Face

Aye but I would hope that you appreciate that there's a bit more to it than that (players wanting away, players more than adequately replaced, players going for ludicrous fees), to the extent that it serves little to no purpose to mention it. I don't hold out anything like the same hope for the king of the polarised viewpoint.

Edited by Gemmill

To be fair, as I pointed out somewhere or other, he HAS sold 4 out of 7 of our best players (as sanctioned by a Toontastic poll) from last season.

And as I also said when you first pointed it out, how many of those did we 'cash in' on?

If Enrique, Carroll, Barton or Nolan hadn't wanted to go they wouldn't have gone. None of them was forced out of the door kicking and screaming for the sake of profit. But I don't see a player wanting to leave as any sort of justification though, there's a reason they want to leave, the same reason as Given wanted out.