Ashley's Transfer History thread

Happy Face

Is it the same people saying the game has changed so much that it's not possible to compete, but also saying Spurs are shining example of how it's still possible to compete without getting into financial difficulty?

I'm happy to try Spurs approach but see 5 teams whose revenues/profits/cash are very hard to match.

That's why imo challenging around 5th/6th/7th is about "right" sadly. Beyond that its about management/luck.

Yeah, I think that should be the expectation, with anything higher something worth celebrating.

Having the 3rd biggest stadium has less impact than it used to.

Having the 6th biggest revenues and the 7th wealthiest owner should give us a good headstart though.

Having the 20th net spend going hand in hand with an as yet unknown profit (before the hefty profit on player trading is accounted for) doesn't suggest we're doing what it takes to maximise those things we have in our favour though.

I agree with that last bit and that's why I still don't "support" him.

I've said before I don't understand what he really wants to get out of it - if it is "enjoyment" then he could certainly do more.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it the same people saying the game has changed so much that it's not possible to compete, but also saying Spurs are shining example of how it's still possible to compete without getting into financial difficulty?

I'm happy to try Spurs approach but see 5 teams whose revenues/profits/cash are very hard to match.

That's why imo challenging around 5th/6th/7th is about "right" sadly. Beyond that its about management/luck.

Pretty much how I see it, Spurs have done well with how they've built themselves up but we are still closer to them in terms of points than they are to Man City, they've also never finished as high in the Premiership as Norwich did back in 1992 despite having a top quality team, which to me shows how much more difficult it is to compete now compared to back then.

Pretty much how I see it, Spurs have done well with how they've built themselves up but we are still closer to them in terms of points than they are to Man City, they've also never finished as high in the Premiership as Norwich did back in 1992 despite having a top quality team, which to me shows how much more difficult it is to compete now compared to back then.

difficult to compete with Spurs, or Man City ?

You still don't get it. Stop excusing Mike Ashley for not competing at the levels NUFC ought to be doing.

What's really enjoyable about this forum is that you can jump into loads of debates where people are trying to argue black is White.

The club is not moving in the right direction, I mean fucking hell do some of you lot not speak to people from outside the town or something. The whole fucking football world is nodding in our direction saying 'going well there' :lol:

Breaking the top 4 now is just as easy as it was in 1992. Ask anyone!!!!!!? Fuck me, just speak to someone in the outside world and pose the question, you'll get a 100% consistent answer. No it's not.

Newcastle's signing of Cissé and new deals for Krul and Colo are strong signals of increasing ambition. Not in NE5 it's not!

We have a better team this year: no, no, no, no we don't, don't be fucking stupid.

Love it :lol:

Edited by ChezGiven

You still don't get it. Stop excusing Mike Ashley for not competing at the levels NUFC ought to be doing.

It's impossible to compete with Man City, it's possible to compete with Spurs eventually but it will take time to build ourselves to that level of finances.

I thought you were ignoring me after you didn't bother telling me which parts of the earlier post were rubbish.

What's really enjoyable about this forum is that you can jump into loads of debates where people are trying to argue black is White. The club is not moving in the right direction, I mean fucking hell do some of you lot not speak to people from outside the town or something. The whole fucking football world is nodding in our direction saying 'going well there' :lol: Breaking the top 4 now is just as easy as it was in 1992. Ask anyone!!!!!!? Fuck me, just speak to someone in the outside world and pose the question, you'll get a 100% consistent answer. No it's not. Newcastle's signing of Cissé and new deals for Krul and Colo are strong signals of increasing ambition. Not in NE5 it's not! We have a better team this year: no, no, no, no we don't, don't be fucking stupid. Love it :lol:

Wait a minute it was you who was claiming that it was easy in 93 but now we're challenging Arsenal,Chelsea and Liverpool "18 months after being in division 2" its difficult?

I happen to agree with what you're saying, but giving that as an example earlier in the thread isnt the best thing you couldve used to illustrate your point because what has happened since promotion contradicts what you're claiming. It has been relatively easy. and correct me if I'm wrong but the club also operated at a loss in 09 and 10?

We've acheived a lot quickly, and a lot of people share the credit for that including Ashley. But it was similar the last time we were promoted too. Remember we slipped back from 2nd to 7th in our second season in 95. This season barring a abysmal collapse our league placing will go up by about half a dozen places. Or is this part of your "its more difficult now" argument?

What's really enjoyable about this forum is that you can jump into loads of debates where people are trying to argue black is White.

The club is not moving in the right direction, I mean fucking hell do some of you lot not speak to people from outside the town or something. The whole fucking football world is nodding in our direction saying 'going well there' :lol:

Breaking the top 4 now is just as easy as it was in 1992. Ask anyone!!!!!!? Fuck me, just speak to someone in the outside world and pose the question, you'll get a 100% consistent answer. No it's not.

Newcastle's signing of Cissé and new deals for Krul and Colo are strong signals of increasing ambition. Not in NE5 it's not!

We have a better team this year: no, no, no, no we don't, don't be fucking stupid.

it's obvious to anyone who doesn't have their nose up Mike Ashleys arse and understands how success in football is achieved and how a club like NUFC ought to be run, that our current on the pitch performance is no different to the fleeting good positions achieved by the likes of Norwich, Bolton etc of the past, and that is all.

I think poor seasons by Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool so far have made it look like we are up there which is why I mentioned luck/management as a factor.

One thing LM does get right is that it needs to be year on year.

What's really enjoyable about this forum is that you can jump into loads of debates where people are trying to argue black is White. The club is not moving in the right direction, I mean fucking hell do some of you lot not speak to people from outside the town or something. The whole fucking football world is nodding in our direction saying 'going well there' :lol: Breaking the top 4 now is just as easy as it was in 1992. Ask anyone!!!!!!? Fuck me, just speak to someone in the outside world and pose the question, you'll get a 100% consistent answer. No it's not. Newcastle's signing of Cissé and new deals for Krul and Colo are strong signals of increasing ambition. Not in NE5 it's not! We have a better team this year: no, no, no, no we don't, don't be fucking stupid. Love it :lol:

Wait a minute it was you who was claiming that it was easy in 93 but now we're challenging Arsenal,Chelsea and Liverpool "18 months after being in division 2" its difficult?

I happen to agree with what you're saying, but giving that as an example earlier in the thread isnt the best thing you couldve used to illustrate your point because what has happened since promotion contradicts what you're claiming. It has been relatively easy. and correct me if I'm wrong but the club also operated at a loss in 09 and 10?

We've acheived a lot quickly, and a lot of people share the credit for that including Ashley. But it was similar the last time we were promoted too. Remember we slipped back from 2nd to 7th in our second season in 95. This season barring a abysmal collapse our league placing will go up by about half a dozen places. Or is this part of your "its more difficult now" argument?

We dropped from 3rd to 6th because we sold our best striker without an adequate replacement comi.....wait a minute!!! :lol:

it's obvious to anyone who doesn't have their nose up Mike Ashleys arse and understands how success in football is achieved and how a club like NUFC ought to be run, that our current on the pitch performance is no different to the fleeting good positions achieved by the likes of Norwich, Bolton etc of the past, and that is all.

Totally unfair (as always), you can only say that sort of thing when looking back.

I think poor seasons by Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool so far have made it look like we are up there which is why I mentioned luck/management as a factor.

One thing LM does get right is that it needs to be year on year.

Absolutely, for a club like ours falling outside of the top 10 has to be considered a poor season.

Now we're here we shouldn't be dropping out.

It's impossible to compete with Man City, it's possible to compete with Spurs eventually but it will take time to build ourselves to that level of finances.

I thought you were ignoring me after you didn't bother telling me which parts of the earlier post were rubbish.

but it isn't so long ago that Spurs couldn't compete with us ? How has this turnaround happened ? Has it been easy for them to do that, to quote the current deluded rubbish being spouted by Chez ?

Totally unfair (as always), you can only say that sort of thing when looking back.

on the contrary chum, I've been saying it for years, which is the exact point certain people on here who are backing out of this discussion, know is true but won't admit it.

I think poor seasons by Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool so far have made it look like we are up there which is why I mentioned luck/management as a factor. One thing LM does get right is that it needs to be year on year.

A poor season? The signs to me are theyre all in decline and the reasons for that are pretty clear and as youve pointed out they are all mangerial. And not a lot that can be done quickly about it at any of theses clubs when you look at the personalities involved.Theres a chance for a changing of the guard at the top of the league in the next couple of seasons and we're well placed to take advantage. Doubt if we will, or I just cant beleive that Ashley is capable of getting it right for as long as we need to keep challenging. He'll fuck it up by letting too many players go all at the same time iyam. I hope to be proved wrong.

but it isn't so long ago that Spurs couldn't compete with us ? How has this turnaround happened ? Has it been easy for them to do that, to quote the current deluded rubbish being spouted by Chez ?

They sold players for significant profit and bought good cheaper replacements without spending all the cash they brought in.

They sold players for significant profit and bought good cheaper replacements without spending all the cash they brought in.

oh fuck, here it comes. The usual bollocks about Spurs.

All those "trophy players" Including ex Newcastle ones ? By the way, they aren't a patch on the team assembled by Keegan, and are only a match for the one assembled by Bobby Robson at best. Sadly though, those 2 periods ie over 10 of the 15 years, don't count do they ?

I think poor seasons by Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool so far have made it look like we are up there which is why I mentioned luck/management as a factor. One thing LM does get right is that it needs to be year on year.

A poor season? The signs to me are theyre all in decline and the reasons for that are pretty clear and as youve pointed out they are all mangerial. And not a lot that can be done quickly about it at any of theses clubs when you look at the personalities involved.Theres a chance for a changing of the guard at the top of the league in the next couple of seasons and we're well placed to take advantage. Doubt if we will, or I just cant beleive that Ashley is capable of getting it right for as long as we need to keep challenging. He'll fuck it up by letting too many players go all at the same time iyam. I hope to be proved wrong.

a racing certainty. The mentality inside the club has been obvious for years.

on the contrary chum, I've been saying it for years, which is the exact point certain people on here who are backing out of this discussion, know is true but won't admit it.

We haven't been this highly-placed - "fleeting good position" - since Ashley took over. So how could you have been saying it for years?

Just quoting this in the hope Leazes won't ignore it twice.

Hilarious isn't it, he brings up Spurs, asks a question, which I answer and he goes off on a "oh no usual bollocks about Spurs again" rant :D

The turnaround has happened due to how the club was ran after Robson left, we were living beyond our means (which you've admitted yourself) and then struggled to shift on the players we handed big contracts to, which meant we were running at huge losses that we couldn't afford.

Spurs on the other hand bought good young players that they hoped would rise in value and sold some of them for big profits, they also worked on boosting the clubs income while keeping costs down, so they could use those profits to invest in more players.

We haven't been this highly-placed - "fleeting good position" - since Ashley took over. So how could you have been saying it for years?

I think that Leazes has no recollection of the post Sir Bobby era. It helps his argument that way.

Paddocklad, I was only saying it's harder today to break into the top 4 not that it was easy back then. We also are only really looking at top 6 and we have instability and issues at other clubs to thank for that. I'm not making any point about our current situation other than we are moving in the right direction, not saying we have cracked anything yet just that the signs are positive and recent decisions have been consistent with a forward momentum.

Just quoting this in the hope Leazes won't ignore it twice.

Hilarious isn't it, he brings up Spurs, asks a question, which I answer and he goes off on a "oh no usual bollocks about Spurs again" rant :D

indeed, the usual Spurs bollocks. :icon_lol: I've told you how Spurs are above us after spending years below us. In fact, why don't you tell us how we were above them for years ?