Gigs: 2011 & 2012

Gene_Clark

Tune Yards playing tonight, only found out about it yesterday. Sold out.

I was at her/their Shepherd's Bush Empire gig on Wednesday night. I'd love to say it was shit but it was bloody fantastic. Sorry. :(

The Staves at The Cluny, Thurs 23 Feb

Saw them supporting The Civil Wars last year. They're lurvely.

Balls.

Sleigh Bells playing here next week, none of my wanker friends will go.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very jealous of you seeing Laura Marling, Sammy. Missed her at The Sage by just never bothering opening up those What's On books they send.

Aye, looking forward to it, mate. I must be on a few mailing lists these days and you get no end of shit sent through, so I've probably missed a few decent acts myself for not wading through it all, but well pleased I got on this one.

Seen Marling live a few times, actually saw her play when she was 16 and even then she was clearly something special, should be a good one that

Seeing St. Vincent and tUnE-yArDs later in the month.

Really good. Bit schizophrenic though - powerful but cold and calculated for most of the set, then she goes and does a protracted whirling dervish crowd-surfing guitar solo in the encore. Several fans needed medical treatment for a stiletto to the head. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Reading/Leeds lineup out. 4 good bands, rest shite. No change there then.

Kaiser Chiefs third on the bill? :lol: Is it 2005?

At The Drive In reunion would be worth seeing though.

Edited by Happy Face

Reading Festival spunk all their money on getting 3 big name bands (ACDC turned down £5m to play last year) and then the rest of the line up consists of filler bands.

Absolute rip off price as well!

Aye' date=' looking forward to it, mate. I must be on a few mailing lists these days and you get no end of shit sent through, so I've probably missed a few decent acts myself for not wading through it all, but well pleased I got on this one.[/quote']

Laura Marling is awesome. I saw her years ago when she was first starting out and warming up for the Kooks. Great musician. :D

Leeds/Reading is a great place to go if you want to see average rock music surrounded by a bunch of 17 year olds away from home for the first time, acting the cunts.

In short, go somewhere chilled out instead.

Wouldn't mind seeing The Shins at Leeds like but it's hardly the best place to take in their stuff.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

• 2 weeks later...

Sonisphere festival has been cancelled this year, sounds like there was some drama at the top level with the organisers. It looks like the company behind it, Kili Live - who book quite a lot of UK tours for bands, might be a bit fucked.

Shame really, the Sunday looked ace.

Edited by JonGoodwyn

Kill Live?

Don't you mean Kilimanjaro?

Not sure about drama - think it was just a money problem. They couldn't sell enough tickets to put on an event of the quality they felt they had to give. Shame, I think there's room in this country for two major rock festivals (Reading/Leeds and Glastonbury are too eclectic to be called rock festivals iyam). I'm not aware of the European Sonispheres being canceled actually, and they're big festivals themselves.

The Soni line-up wasn't that bad, albeit one that didn't personally do enough for me (Refused and one or two others aside). They made announcements far too late - Download had already announced most of their big names by the time Soni had started promoting its wares. And with a line-up as impressive as Download's, Soni was always going to struggle. The cynic in me thought it looked a bit desperate that they were booking artists to exclusivity deals and/or full album sets (Mastodon, Glassjaw, Hundred Reasons).

Not to mention a lot of people aren't enthused by 'Queen' being fronted by someone who isn't Freddie Mercury and is an American Idol singer.

• 3 months later...

07/07 - The Fall at Hoult's Yard

21/07 - NARC Festival in Ouseburn pubs

04/09 - Patti Smith at the Academy

08/09 - Euros Childs at Star & Shadow

13/09 - Plainsong at Sage 2

06/11 - The Wedding Present in Carlisle

10/11 - The Wedding Present at the Academy

15/11 - Half Man Half Biscuit at the Academy

26/11 - Dirty Three at Sage 2

Saving so I can't go to anything I'd like to...

Menzingers - London

Ben Folds Five - Manchester

Django Django - London

Hot Chip - everywhere else

Yeasayer - Manchester

Booooo!