Mike Williamson

Craig

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Obertan really faster than Sammy? I mean all Obertan does is run a bit, stop, play it back/lose the ball.

Sammy's quite fast like although looks like one of those who takes a bit to get into his stride. A bit moot anyway like seeing as Obertan doesn't seem to want to use his pace, even when he the full-back is isolated.

Edited by alex

Is Obertan really faster than Sammy? I mean all Obertan does is run a bit, stop, play it back/lose the ball.

Sammi's quite fast like although looks like one of those who takes a bit to get into his stride. A bit moot anyway like seeing as Obertan doesn't seem to want to use his pace, even when he the full-back is isolated.

Yup, exactly. People might blame it on a lack of confidence and I appreciate that some in the stands aren't helping matters, but he's had more than enough chances to build his confidence up.

He's not at Man Utd any more, with the demoralising effect of hardly ever playing.

His head is so big he just looks slow....like the earth orbiting the Sun at thousands upon thousands of miles per hour...but seemingly stationary.

Confidence is an easy-out.

He's not smart enough to use it properly, hopefully the coaches will teach him to start making the right decisions. I see no point in getting on hs tits about it, let him have a full season of regular first team football(has he ever had that?), then see how we're fixed.

Regardless if anyone on here rates Obertan, he and his pace are a huge part of Pardew's tactics. If fit, he'll be in the starting line-up.

maybe he practices sprinting without the ball in training

Do you really think you have to be smart to play football? If he doesn't know what to do now, after a couple of years with SAF and his coaches, I doubt that he ever will.

Yeah tbf, if Fergie and their coaches can't help him, I've got precious little hope for ours. It's not like we have a good track record on that score!

Do you really think you have to be smart to play football? If he doesn't know what to do now, after a couple of years with SAF and his coaches, I doubt that he ever will.

You improve by playing first team football at a high level on a regular basis. That's a fairly obvious statement, I'd have thought.

And clearly you don't have to be smart to play football(see below), making the smart decision on the pitch is what counts. I don't care if the lad is a certified mong off the pitch.

article-1034267-001DEC6D0000044C-922_233x362.jpg

I don't agree with you. Some players are very clearly out of their depth. Obertan may not have played much at manu but thats because he wasn't good enough to get in, even in cup games, and make his mark. Younger players than him werte preferred. He's shown here that he has not improved at all. Perch is another one who no matter how long he plays will not be good enough. Its only a matter of time before he is moved on. Same goes for obertan.

I don't agree with you. Some players are very clearly out of their depth. Obertan may not have played much at manu but thats because he wasn't good enough to get in, even in cup games, and make his mark. Younger players than him werte preferred. He's shown here that he has not improved at all. Perch is another one who no matter how long he plays will not be good enough. Its only a matter of time before he is moved on. Same goes for obertan.

I think even Perch has improved since we've signed him. He's still shite, but training every day with better players brings you on as a player. Anyway, I'm not arguing that Obertan hasn't been wasteful.

All I'm saying is that playing regular first team football improves you as a player, which you disagree with.

I don't disagree with you entirely, I admit. Clearly many players do get better as they play at a higher level. I'd put obertan and perch in the group that won't because they don't have either the ability or awareness to play at this level.

People said the same about Leon Best.

You're right, and because of that we can deduce that Perch will slowly ripen like a fine cheese until he finally blossoms into the most commanding central defender since Baresi. Obertan's head will balloon exponentially until he becomes a giant of the modern game, amongst the echelons of the likes of Garrincha and Rep. Or maybe not.

People said the same about Leon Best.

I doubt if many people think Best is even an average premier league player.

I think he's alright, does a lot of good work for Ba when they play together and suits his style too. A good fit perhaps if not a great player.

Having seen a lot of very good forwards over the years, its difficult to consider him in any way as good. He lacks pace, scuffs shots and isn't that good in the air. He does score some scrappy goals and they all count though. But a good player?

Maybe he's all we can afford, but that doesn't make him good either.

Hearing about managers getting a sell on percentage of players they're brought in, I wonder how many players at NUFC were brought in for that reason. Bring them in alongside better players/coaches from a lesser league and sell on for profit.

Managers? Do you mean agents?

Back on Mike Williamson. Apparently he has declared himself fit to play against Swansea in an interview with the Guardian after playing 45 minutes for the reserves on Tuesday.

Who would put him straight in?

For me if Colo is fit then I'd consider giving him another weeks rest since he is going to be needed to fill in for Taylor for the rest of the season (provided we don't sign anyone which I'm not holding my breath over). Obviously if Colo doesn't come up then Willo has to play. Simple as that.

I don't think Swansea will provide the same aerial threat as Norwich as they pass it around a bit more and will probably not go away from that approach too much. They haven't so far this season, even away to the big sides, so why would they against us.

Managers? Do you mean agents?

Back on Mike Williamson. Apparently he has declared himself fit to play against Swansea in an interview with the Guardian after playing 45 minutes for the reserves on Tuesday.

Who would put him straight in?

For me if Colo is fit then I'd consider giving him another weeks rest since he is going to be needed to fill in for Taylor for the rest of the season (provided we don't sign anyone which I'm not holding my breath over). Obviously if Colo doesn't come up then Willo has to play. Simple as that.

I don't think Swansea will provide the same aerial threat as Norwich as they pass it around a bit more and will probably not go away from that approach too much. They haven't so far this season, even away to the big sides, so why would they against us.

If Colo is fit I'd go with Kadar as the other option. Should be a lot sharper. With Colo out I'd try Kadar with Willo. They just played a half together in the reserves and kept a clean sheet.

From .com "Tamas Kadar put in a good shift at the back, as well as prompting attacks."

On Williamson: "At the other end meanwhile, centre half Mike Williamson made his comeback after a three month absence due to injury and inevitably looked off the pace during a 45 minute run out, suggesting that an involvement in this Saturday's first team game isn't likely."