Random stuff you used to get up to when a bairn

Howmanheyman

Was talking with my own daughters the other day and started reminiscing about when I was young. I lived in Walker as a kid and at the time there was a few houses getting renovated, we used run about these houses, jump out the windows onto old mattresses, play Japs and Commando's etc and then get chased off the 'Watchie' and his Alsatian dog which was great fun as long as you didn't get caught!

Also remember going to the Rec and playing football all summer long and pretending to be Zico/Socrates etc before going in to watch the World Cup in Spain. I don't know if any younger posters on here will know this but there used to be a few glue sniffers about in them days and as a bairn their appearance was a sign to fuck off sharpish as they were practically walking Zombies monged out their boxes and the rumour was they'd grab a hold of you and force you to sniff their glue. The next day you'd see their dried up bags lying about.

In the summer holidays on a boiling hot day what seemed like the entire street would walk along to old Shields Road enmasse and get the 301 bus to the coast, (the Metro was new and nobody used it), the place was packed, it was like the Costa del Sol.

Going to Jesmond Dene and climbing on anything that could be climbed, I'm surprised nobody got killed.

Getting a Juventus strip on a trip to Italy my Grandparents took me and my sis on as my parents couldn't afford it, coming back and my mates being awestruck at the strip as you couldn't really get them here at the time, I was tanned, kitted up in the Juve strip looking cool as fuck and was the toast of Walker! :rolleyes:

Apologies for the rambling! :angry:

Where I lived the houses were terraces with back lanes and outside bogs - at the start of the 70s there were a lot of grants available for building bathroom/toilet extensions so we spent a good few years playing in and around building sites and "helping" the builders - happy days.

There also used to be a small wooded area next to ST college where we used to climb and light fires - I often think its a miracle I didn't grow up to be a pyromaniac.

Guest alex
Where I lived the houses were terraces with back lanes and outside bogs - at the start of the 70s there were a lot of grants available for building bathroom/toilet extensions so we spent a good few years playing in and around building sites and "helping" the builders - happy days.

There also used to be a small wooded area next to ST college where we used to climb and light fires - I often think its a miracle I didn't grow up to be a pyromaniac.

Used to be quite the thing round my way that we sat around fires all the time in the half-term (Blackberry week) that usually proceeded Hallow'een. The polis used to tell us off and make us put them out.

I forgot to mention fires. Fucking hell, the amount of time we made fires which the very odd time got out of hand. And we were decent enough kids as well! :rolleyes:

Used to be quite the thing round my way that we sat around fires all the time in the half-term (Blackberry week) that usually proceeded Hallow'een. The polis used to tell us off and make us put them out.

One of my life's proudest moments is one bonfire night having the fire brigade come out 3 times to our back lane after we staged a "marathon not a sprint" approach to the night.

There's been a massive shift in the lives of kids over the past 20 years like. I was saying to the Mrs before, back before mobiles and the internet, if you wanted to see your mate you had to go and knock on his door. If he wasn't in you had to ride your bike round the usual spots like the park, the shops, the football field, until you found him. We literally spent all day every day playing football and riding our bikes. If you wanted to go to the pictures you had to ring a telephone number to get the times and listen to a 20minute recorded message that told you the time and date of each and every film they showed :rolleyes:

Guest alex
There's been a massive shift in the lives of kids over the past 20 years like. I was saying to the Mrs before, back before mobiles and the internet, if you wanted to see your mate you had to go and knock on his door. If he wasn't in you had to ride your bike round the usual spots like the park, the shops, the football field, until you found him. We literally spent all day every day playing football and riding our bikes. If you wanted to go to the pictures you had to ring a telephone number to get the times and listen to a 20minute recorded message that told you the time and date of each and every film they showed :rolleyes:

Used to leave me Gran's at about 8.15 in order to be able to play football before school. Also played at morning break, lunchtime and afternoon break. Often after school too. I wonder how many kids do that now. That cartoon about how being sent to your used to be a punishment but is the opposite now is spot on.

Not even 20 years, like. It was still like that 'til I was about 14 or so. Then everyone got phones and the net, and more and more began to get xboxs and the like and play on them all day rather than just bringing out the N64 for an hour or two in the evening after playing outside all day.

Was never in from dawn till dusk most days. On the bike, spent days on end down Holywell or Bluebell dene or down the beach.

Always carried a knife, my big "pride and joy" sheath knife on my belt for cutting down a good "Y" to make a catpult (for ratting, never got one mind) or if not that my penknife for playing split (or chicken). Couldn't play chicken with the sheath knife, it'd go through any shoe !!

Never contemplated that I'd ever stab or threaten anyone with either of them.

Birdsnesting, had a great egg collection at one point.

Bird nesting was dead popular. Shocking in retrospect.

There was a lad at the end of my street who was a couple of years older than me who we sometimes hung around with (nowt dodgy) who got into huge trouble for his collection which included some proper rarities in addition to the usual gulls etc.

Not even 20 years, like. It was still like that 'til I was about 14 or so. Then everyone got phones and the net, and more and more began to get xboxs and the like and play on them all day rather than just bringing out the N64 for an hour or two in the evening after playing outside all day.

Aye, older people always bang on about how when they were lads they had to go knocking on peoples doors etc. I'm 22, and I didn't really have a mobile phone until I was 14/15. Moved away from my mates aswell so I had to walk a canny distance to go knock on them, if they weren't in had to turn around and walk all the way back home.

Aye true, wouldn't dream of it now.

That said, the volume of hedgerows/woodland was considerably higher when I was a laddo, most of the places we used to go have houses on them now. I doubt we had much of an effect on the wild bird population tbh, unlike bloody cats.

Aye true, wouldn't dream of it now.

That said, the volume of hedgerows/woodland was considerably higher when I was a laddo, most of the places we used to go have houses on them now. I doubt we had much of an effect on the wild bird population tbh, unlike bloody cats.

Bird pop has been badly affected by pesticides.

When a nipper 8 - 10 ish, we, as a gang, found some dorty mags. We crawled under the bowling green huts in Souter Park, Whitley, and pinned the pics to the underside of the floorboards. We would lay down and oggle the goyles :rolleyes::angry: I wonder if that's where I got the infatuation I have with women, as I have been obsessed with the female form for as long as I can remember :icon_lol::)

Water bombing the kids coming home from the posh schools in Newcastle as they came off the train at Monkseaton station.

Nicking the empty 'dog' bottles which the station master (don't see them anymore) had hidden under the lift up benches (he must have been an alcy as there were fuckin' stacks) at the station, and taking them back to the offy for the money back.

Smoking underneath the old pavilion at Churchill playing fields, Whitley, aged 10 -12. Mug.

That's enough for now.

Was talking with my own daughters the other day and started reminiscing about when I was young. I lived in Walker as a kid and at the time there was a few houses getting renovated, we used run about these houses, jump out the windows onto old mattresses, play Japs and Commando's etc and then get chased off the 'Watchie' and his Alsatian dog which was great fun as long as you didn't get caught!

Also remember going to the Rec and playing football all summer long and pretending to be Zico/Socrates etc before going in to watch the World Cup in Spain. I don't know if any younger posters on here will know this but there used to be a few glue sniffers about in them days and as a bairn their appearance was a sign to fuck off sharpish as they were practically walking Zombies monged out their boxes and the rumour was they'd grab a hold of you and force you to sniff their glue. The next day you'd see their dried up bags lying about.

In the summer holidays on a boiling hot day what seemed like the entire street would walk along to old Shields Road enmasse and get the 301 bus to the coast, (the Metro was new and nobody used it), the place was packed, it was like the Costa del Sol.

Going to Jesmond Dene and climbing on anything that could be climbed, I'm surprised nobody got killed.

Getting a Juventus strip on a trip to Italy my Grandparents took me and my sis on as my parents couldn't afford it, coming back and my mates being awestruck at the strip as you couldn't really get them here at the time, I was tanned, kitted up in the Juve strip looking cool as fuck and was the toast of Walker! :rolleyes:

Apologies for the rambling! :angry:

All sounds very familiar to me but Welbeck school field was my stomping ground and the six weeks holidays were spent mostly up the Quarry.

Whereabouts in Walker were you from and how old are you?

Was just thinking about this on Sunday when I was down the Dene with the dog early morning. Spent hours down there as a kid with binoculars, both watching birds and pilfering their eggs.

Still enjoy watching birds to this day.

Was just thinking about this on Sunday when I was down the Dene with the dog early morning. Spent hours down there as a kid with binoculars, both watching birds and pilfering their eggs.

Still enjoy watching birds to this day.

My 70's mirror-lense Foster Grant's were always handy for a bit of surreptitious summer "bird watching"

Used to always be McGrath when i played footy as a kid Italia90 was when i first really started to watch football, or if it was toon players Albert/Ginola/Lee/Tino.

When i was a weeun I was convinced my Gran was good friends with

, and had a direct line to Oscar on Sesame Street, i also thought any old person was her friend and would randomly stop as we made our way around to say hello to all these old people, and that things were once black and white.

Our 2nd house was a new build with loads of other houses being built around it, so i basically had empty 4bedroom detached houses (after figuring out how to jimmy the windows) as my "clubhouse", and doing stupid things like leaping from the 2nd story of the houses onto piles of sand below etc, or starting up jcb's and dumper trucks if they'd been stupid enough to leave keys in them.

Same as the rest asides from that, spent all my time on a bike and playing footy usual shite,

Hmmmmm. . . . .

Getting a Juventus strip on a trip to Italy my Grandparents took me and my sis on as my parents couldn't afford it, coming back and my mates being awestruck at the strip as you couldn't really get them here at the time, I was tanned, kitted up in the Juve strip looking cool as fuck and was the toast of Walker! :angry:

Apologies for the rambling! :)

Nice ramble :rolleyes:

I was parked up in the taxi the other day on East Boldon high street looking up at this very high pointed roof of a church. This was the same church I would clamber up at a very young age and pretend to be the voice of god to passers by. :icon_lol:

Lets just say its fucking steep.

Howay man. There's stuff you used to get up to as a bairn, and then there's stuff people make up cos they were blatantly boring as kids and did nowt. Stealing diggers and climbing churches fall into the latter category