Sven great again? Back for England?

Sven for England?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sven won the Double in 3 different countries, taking Gothenburg to UEFA Cup glory, Lazio to glory in the Cup-Winners' Cup and UEFA Super Cup, as well as taking Benfica to the final of the Champions League.

He led England in 2 World Cups and 1 European Championship, and never failed to take them to the quarter-finals, a feat which eluded Hoddle, Keegan, McClaren and (thus-far) Capello.

It was absolutely ridiculous of the FA to sack Sven (although I'll admit that they shouldn't have offered him such a large salary. Quarter-Finals are nice, but we shouldn't be paying 5 million a year for them, when Uruguay have proved that you can get a semi-final for 400,000 a year).

I remember vehemently defending Sven when he was facing a barrage of criticism in 2006.

But then he went into decline.

Man City... He disappointed at Man City.

Mexico... He disappointed at Mexico.

Ivory Coast... He only had 3 matches with Ivory Coast, and although they got knocked out in World Cup round 1, they had the best stats of that half of the World Cup teams that suffered 1st-round elimination

Then...

Leicster City... He came to them when they were very near the bottom, and steered them to an eventual 10th place (and didn't spend so much money I think (or did he? I know he brought in Darius Vassell).

So, what do people think? Would you welcome him back into the England job?

He's such a gentleman, and never moans about refs or gives excuses and is so respectful. A true diplomat, and I'm so happy that his fortunes seem to have changed?

So, Sven for England?

You're wasting your life.

Souness for Newcastle?

James, Neville, Cole, Terry, Rio, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, Joe Cole, Rooney, Owen. I'm telling you now, that group of players was good enough to win something, and he couldn't do it. Capello has a far inferior side now imo.

Sven won the Double in 3 different countries, taking Gothenburg to UEFA Cup glory, Lazio to glory in the Cup-Winners' Cup and UEFA Super Cup, as well as taking Benfica to the final of the Champions League.

He led England in 2 World Cups and 1 European Championship, and never failed to take them to the quarter-finals, a feat which eluded Hoddle, Keegan, McClaren and (thus-far) Capello.

It was absolutely ridiculous of the FA to sack Sven (although I'll admit that they shouldn't have offered him such a large salary. Quarter-Finals are nice, but we shouldn't be paying 5 million a year for them, when Uruguay have proved that you can get a semi-final for 400,000 a year).

I remember vehemently defending Sven when he was facing a barrage of criticism in 2006.

Ivory Coast... He only had 3 matches with Ivory Coast, and although they got knocked out in World Cup round 1, they had the best stats of that half of the World Cup teams that suffered 1st-round elimination

Then...

Leicster City... He came to them when they were very near the bottom, and steered them to an eventual 10th place (and didn't spend so much money I think (or did he? I know he brought in Darius Vassell).

He's such a gentleman, and never moans about refs or gives excuses and is so respectful. A true diplomat, and I'm so happy that his fortunes seem to have changed?

So, Sven for England?

Souness for Newcastle?

James, Neville, Cole, Terry, Rio, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, Joe Cole, Rooney, Owen. I'm telling you now, that group of players was good enough to win something, and he couldn't do it. Capello has a far inferior side now imo.

from 2002 world cup team, add hargreves and butt and that team still couldn't win anything, England players are either tired or simply don't give a fuck in big tournaments

That or young men, boys bottle under the weight of expectation

Then...

So, Sven for England?

Souness for Newcastle?

That's an incredibly general and misinformed statement. In 2002 we were knocked out by the eventual winners and a very good Brazil side, owing to David Seaman inexplicably completely misjudging Ronaldinho's free-kick. We then lost twice on penalties to a very good Portugal side managed by Felipe Scolari. Mix into that the Campbell disallowed goal in 2004 and the Rooney sending off in 2006 and you can see that Sven did very well and was almost unlucky not to go further.

Then...

So, Sven for England?

Souness for Newcastle?

That's an incredibly general and misinformed statement. In 2002 we were knocked out by the eventual winners and a very good Brazil side, owing to David Seaman inexplicably completely misjudging Ronaldinho's free-kick. We then lost twice on penalties to a very good Portugal side managed by Felipe Scolari. Mix into that the Campbell disallowed goal in 2004 and the Rooney sending off in 2006 and you can see that Sven did very well and was almost unlucky not to go further.

It's a valid excuse that it was too hot for English players even against 10 men in Japan at 3pm. Was 90 degrees or so. Your statement is massively misinformed if you can dismiss a statement that that team was good enough to win something. Of course it was, it's not even an argument. Greece won Euro 2004, we were light years ahead of them, Italy the worst world champions in history won 2006, of course it was good enough to win something. Sven was an absolute failure three Quarter Finals with those players was massive under achievement. We played better with 10 men against Portugal than when we had 11 on, which tells you a lot about Sven's input in to our play. His team selection bordered on incredible too, anyone that picks to Darius Vassell to play for his country isn't piss wise.

You strike me as someone with nothing to say?

Edited by McFaul

Souness for Newcastle?

It's a valid excuse that it was too hot for English players even against 10 men in Japan at 3pm. Was 90 degrees or so. Your statement is massively misinformed if you can dismiss a statement that that team was good enough to win something. Of course it was, it's not even an argument. Greece won Euro 2004, we were light years ahead of them, Italy the worst world champions in history won 2006, of course it was good enough to win something. Sven was an absolute failure three Quarter Finals with those players was massive under achievement. We played better with 10 men against Portugal than when we had 11 on, which tells you a lot about Sven's input in to our play. His team selection bordered on incredible too, anyone that picks to Darius Vassell to play for his country isn't piss wise.

You are criticising Sven for not winning anything with that group of players. You haven't considered any of the factors that lead to us not winning anything, you just made a sweeping statement. Sven did well as England manager. We don't have some God given right to win the World Cup. That is a good team of players but there were better squads and teams who had easier runs in tournaments than we did.

Teams often are harder to beat with 10 men and at times play better. That's something that happens in football.

Vassell was largely a squad player. At the time Vassell was an exciting player and if an England manager had ignored him then they would have been missing out. His contributions for England are often derided, perhaps because of his penalty miss.

With the period of time it took to validate my account, that should suggest that I am not who any of you seem to be suggesting I am. I've been reading on the odd occasion for a while now and thought it was time to sign up.

With the period of time it took to validate my account, that should suggest that I am not who any of you seem to be suggesting I am. I've been reading on the odd occasion for a while now and thought it was time to sign up.

:gay:

Guest alex

I think Sven did alright in 2002 and 2004, i.e. with a little bit of luck - who knows? The 2006 showing blotted his copybook though. Despite only going out on penalties again I thought we were awful.

Do you wear spats? :):gay::icon_lol::no

Souness for Newcastle?

You are criticising Sven for not winning anything with that group of players. You haven't considered any of the factors that lead to us not winning anything, you just made a sweeping statement. Sven did well as England manager. We don't have some God given right to win the World Cup. That is a good team of players but there were better squads and teams who had easier runs in tournaments than we did.

Teams often are harder to beat with 10 men and at times play better. That's something that happens in football.

Vassell was largely a squad player. At the time Vassell was an exciting player and if an England manager had ignored him then they would have been missing out. His contributions for England are often derided, perhaps because of his penalty miss.

Well that's all wonderful honey. My question is what is "misinformed" about saying we had a squad of players who were good enough to win something? You said that was misinformed then contradicted yourself, asserting the reason we didn't was luck, which imo doesn't tell the whole story anyway.

Here's a little riddle;

These 2 statements have something in common.

-Greece won Euro 2004, so it's a disgrace that Sven didn't win anything with England.

-Denmark won Euro 1992, so it's a disgrace that Venables didn't win anything with England.

What do those 2 statements have in common?

Guest alex
Here's a little riddle;

These 2 statements have something in common.

-Greece won Euro 2004, so it's a disgrace that Sven didn't win anything with England.

-Denmark won Euro 1992, so it's a disgrace that Venables didn't win anything with England.

What do those 2 statements have in common?

"won Euro", "so it's a disgrace that" and "didn't win anything with England".