Chris Gray on NUFC under Ashley

Tooj

HF, how much of that $288m is the purchase cost (which to me is the cost of the shares plus the stadium mortgage?).

To my simplistic way of thinking, there's 1) what it cost him to buy us and 2) what he's invested in new funds into the club since then. The first I don't see as money put into the club, it's what he willingly paid to acquire it, which was up to him.

If we've made a massive net profit on transfer dealings, and that's all gone to fund operating losses rather than repay debt, it suggests either the club is completely financially screwed or he's made a big mess of running it. Or possibly both, who knows.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HF, how much of that $288m is the purchase cost (which to me is the cost of the shares plus the stadium mortgage?).

To my simplistic way of thinking, there's 1) what it cost him to buy us and 2) what he's invested in new funds into the club since then. The first I don't see as money put into the club, it's what he willingly paid to acquire it, which was up to him.

If we've made a massive net profit on transfer dealings, and that's all gone to fund operating losses rather than repay debt, it suggests either the club is completely financially screwed or he's made a big mess of running it. Or possibly both, who knows.

I think it's what would need to be paid for Ashley to break even. Just got it from the link in robs delloite thread and they don't go into detail.

and that is why HF is a legend on this board.

(he's the only one who can be arsed - fair play to the man)

;)

The mrs was watching Camelot. Fair bit of tits and Arthur is Andy Carroll but shite really. Gave me something to do other than dishes.

96/97 -
£20.25m
Vs £5.2m

97/98 -
£0.8m
Vs £22.37

98/99 -
£13.8m
Vs £22.5m

99/00 -
£22.85m
Vs £24.8m

00/01 -
£35m
Vs £13m

01/02 -
£15.25m
Vs £29m

02/03 -
£6.6m
Vs £15m

03/04 -
£16m
Vs £3.6m

04/05 -
£1m
Vs £22m

05/06 -
£32.35m
Vs £30.8m

06/07 -
£11.9m
Vs £25.7m

07/08 -
£13.2m
Vs £16.75m

08/09 -
£30.8m
Vs £16.8m

09/10 -
£19.7m
Vs £4m

10/11 -
£0
Vs £4.5m

Total
£239.5m
Vs £256m

Over 15 years, arsenal have spent 94% as much as us, not really a "lot less". For ten years it was enough to get us into europe, competing with them. Over the last 5 years, we haven't spent as much as Arsenal...and we've not competed with them

That’s the model to follow. All you Ashley-bashers really haven’t a clue.

Happy Face what are the above figures from? - And what spendings do they take into account?

Keegan or Shearer were not foisted on Ashley.

But Keegan got 2 million pounds because the club signed someone without asking him (boo-hoo).

Apart from inaccurately saying Keegan or Shearer was foisted on Ashley, the article basically says the truth.

Fuck off you moron.

Keegan rightly was compensated because Ashley is a lying cunt.

You know it, we know it, Ashley, Dekka and his minions (such as yourself) know it.

And no matter how many times people try to rewrite history, it doesn't change the FACTS!

btw no I don't grow roses or buy watermelons or whatever other dullard response you will have.

So shut it.

I think it's what would need to be paid for Ashley to break even. Just got it from the link in robs delloite thread and they don't go into detail.

Purchase price £132 Million, repaying pre-exisiting debts of £70 Million (of which £45 Million was the stadium mortgage, the rest was "other loans") plus £27 Mill owed on transfers, whatever else since has been injected working capital.

96/97 -
£20.25m
Vs £5.2m

97/98 -
£0.8m
Vs £22.37

98/99 -
£13.8m
Vs £22.5m

99/00 -
£22.85m
Vs £24.8m

00/01 -
£35m
Vs £13m

01/02 -
£15.25m
Vs £29m

02/03 -
£6.6m
Vs £15m

03/04 -
£16m
Vs £3.6m

04/05 -
£1m
Vs £22m

05/06 -
£32.35m
Vs £30.8m

06/07 -
£11.9m
Vs £25.7m

07/08 -
£13.2m
Vs £16.75m

08/09 -
£30.8m
Vs £16.8m

09/10 -
£19.7m
Vs £4m

10/11 -
£0
Vs £4.5m

Total
£239.5m
Vs £256m

Over 15 years, arsenal have spent 94% as much as us, not really a "lot less". For ten years it was enough to get us into europe, competing with them. Over the last 5 years, we haven't spent as much as Arsenal...and we've not competed with them

That’s the model to follow. All you Ashley-bashers really haven’t a clue.

Happy Face what are the above figures from? - And what spendings do they take into account?

Soccerbase.

Was curious as it only takes into account players bought and not those sold.

If you include players sold I suspect Arsenal would have a greater spend over the same period.

Not the best thing to read first thing in the morning. As Deano said, not one mention of the scores of bad decisions, insulting gestures and cuntishness his 4 years has delivered. We are where we are now more by luck than judgement as well. Mugs like this bloke should be strung up there's too many of them as well.

Edited by McFaul

Was curious as it only takes into account players bought and not those sold.

If you include players sold I suspect Arsenal would have a greater spend over the same period.

Not sure, especially if Fabregas goes for a fortune.

But aye, especially over the last 5 years I reckon their net spend would be even more ahead of ours, which strengthens my point.

Edited by Happy Face

Between 07/8 and 10/11 (last 4years) Arsenal's player trading shows a profit of £21Mill. But if extended back over the last decade their position on transfers shows an overall deficit (net spend) of £31Mill.

If Fabregas and Nasri nick off I'd be surprised if they're not in player trading profit again.

Figures are as stated in their accounts.

Similarly, Liverpool over the same 4 years have a net deficit of £18Mill and extended over the decade a net spend of £97.3Mill (Doesn't include Carroll/Suarez/Henderson - but Torres/Babel cash balanced the first two).

Edited by Toonpack

Purchase price £132 Million, repaying pre-exisiting debts of £70 Million (of which £45 Million was the stadium mortgage, the rest was "other loans") plus £27 Mill owed on transfers, whatever else since has been injected working capital.

So 288 - 132 - 70 - 27 = 59 million that Mike Ashley's put into the club since 2007?

Not an inconsiderable amount of money but some of that is presumably for

a) paying compo to managers and their staff that have been sacked/forced out

;) paying the cost of getting relegated from the PL

c) paying high wages of players which were signed under his ownership (Smith, Collo, Gutti, etc)

I'm not including transfer errors here like having to pay compo for Gutti's Bosman or the Xisco signing.

So 229 to buy the club and 59 mill to keep it solvent? With a chunk of the 59 mill needed because of Ashley's own errors. Or is that just too simplistic?

59 mill sounds less impressive than 288 mill, although obviously it's 59 mill of his own money not a bank's, so good on him. I expect he'll want that back at some point....

Did we not have any transfer fees owed to us? It's just I've heard the fact that we owed outstanding amounts ad nauseum from different sources defending Ashley, but rarely hear of any amounts that we were waiting on and as the football world largely pays in installments I find this a bit odd. Just saying, like.

Here's an interesting comparison looking at how much was paid for existing members of the team.

GK

Newcastle

Steve Harper - Free

Tim Krul - 200K

Fraser Forster - Academy

Total: £0.2M

Arsenal

Manuel Almunia - £1.5M (transfermarket.co.uk reckon 4M + )

Lukasz Fabianski - £3.8M

Szczesny - Free (as good as)

Total: £5.3M

Defense

Newcastle

Fabricio Coloccini - £10.3

Jose Enrique - £6.3

Mike Williamson - 960K

Danny Simpson - 750K

James Perch - £1M

Ryan Taylor - Free

Steven Taylor - Free

Total - £19.31M

Arsenal

Bacary Sagna - £7.9M

Thomas Vermaelen - £8.8M

Laurent Koscielny - £11M

Sebastian Squillaci - £5.7M

Johan Djourou - Free

Gael Clichy - 330K

Kieran Gibbs - Free

Total - £33.73M

Midfield

Newcastle

Kevin Nolan - £4M

Joey Barton - £5.8M

Danny Guthrie - £2.5M

Dan Gosling - Free

Alan Smith - £6M

Jonas Gutierrez - £5M (compensation)

Cheik Tiote - £3.5M

Kazenga Lualua - Free

Haris Vuckic - 100K

Hatem Ben Arfa - £7M (£2M loan + £5M signing)

Yohan Cabaye - £4.3

Total: £38.2M

Arsenal

Abou Diaby - £2M

Cesc Fabregas - £2.5M

Tomas Rosicky - £8M

Samir Nasri - £14M

Denilson - £4M

Aaron Ramsey - £5M

Alex Song - £3M

Jack Wilshere - Free

Andrei Arshavin - £14.5M

Emmanuel Eboue - £1.9M

Total: £54.9M

Forwards

Newcastle

Peter Lovenkrands - Free

Xisco - £5.7M

Leon Best - £1M

Shola Ameobi - Free

Nile Ranger - Free

Phil Airey - Free

Total: £6.7M

Arsenal

Robin van Persie - £3M

Carlos Vela - 550K (some dispute)

Theo Walcott - £10M +

Marouane Chamakh - Free

Nicklas Bendtnar - 200K

Total: £13.75

Newcastle

Total Squad Purchase Price:

£64,410,000

Arsenal

Total Squad Purchase Price:

£107,680,000

So, despite Arsenal's squad being very frugally assembled they still spent in excess of £43M more than Newcastle did.

I'm not even saying that there should be a comparison between the two, but the author of the original article drew the comparison so it's free to be commented on.

Did we not have any transfer fees owed to us? .

I don't know the answer to that question.

Can anyone please answer this question.

When Freddie was ousted, were we owed lots of money?

And if so, from which transfers?

What do people think?

Personally, I can't think of any big sales that could have made us big creditors. But if anyone knows different, please answer the question.

Were we owed lots of money on transfers when Freddie was kicked out?

So 288 - 132 - 70 - 27 = 59 million that Mike Ashley's put into the club since 2007?

c) paying high wages of players which were signed under his ownership (Smith, Collo, Gutti, etc)

I'm not including transfer errors here like having to pay compo for Gutti's Bosman or the Xisco signing.

So 229 to buy the club and 59 mill to keep it solvent? With a chunk of the 59 mill needed because of Ashley's own errors. Or is that just too simplistic?

59 mill sounds less impressive than 288 mill, although obviously it's 59 mill of his own money not a bank's, so good on him. I expect he'll want that back at some point....

Purchase cost was £132Mill, which has been leveraged against the club, not sure it should really be called “debt” per se as it was the cost of purchasing the shares and as such is really the “value of the club”. It’s just the same as if anyone else had bought the shares, it’s the minimum cost anyone would have to pay to buy the club.

The £70Mill is additional money he had no option but to “put in” due to change of ownership clauses on the existing debts. Whilst that debt hasn’t gone away the benefit is that he’s paid that off as a loan, interest free and unsecured, saves the club £7Mill a year interest and the capital sum of the stadium expansion mortgage (£45Mill) which was due for repayment in 2013 is no longer an issue.

It could be argued that as it’s a debt to the owner and as such to all intents and purposes the club is the owner and visa versa, it’s not really a debt at all, but I wouldn’t go that far as no doubt he will want it back at some point. That said unlike virtually all the other owners who are “in deep” he’s not charging interest and hasn’t secured his lending on club assets, that’s an important point. He therefore has no guarantee, he’ll get it back.

The £27Mill transfer fee’s “owed” had to come from somewhere so in essence he’s covered some of that, as well, in his subsidies to the bottom line.

Manager compensation (Alardarse and KK) was £10Mill

IMO the only thing you can really discount from his “subsidy” is the original purchase price, he could have tried to refinance the £70Mill against the club, but he didn’t, he really did “pay it off” it’s now technically his risk/liability.

Did we not have any transfer fees owed to us? It's just I've heard the fact that we owed outstanding amounts ad nauseum from different sources defending Ashley, but rarely hear of any amounts that we were waiting on and as the football world largely pays in installments I find this a bit odd. Just saying, like.

The £27Mill figure I believe is the net figure. Obviously any figures are skewed by the Owen deal but it was an incomming deal nonetheless.

Between 07/8 and 10/11 (last 4years) Arsenal's player trading shows a profit of £21Mill. But if extended back over the last decade their position on transfers shows an overall deficit (net spend) of £31Mill.

If Fabregas and Nasri nick off I'd be surprised if they're not in player trading profit again.

Figures are as stated in their accounts.

Similarly, Liverpool over the same 4 years have a net deficit of £18Mill and extended over the decade a net spend of £97.3Mill (Doesn't include Carroll/Suarez/Henderson - but Torres/Babel cash balanced the first two).

do people like you go to games with the balance sheet printed on their scarves ?

If you write FACT at the end of any old shite, it automatically makes it the truth. Stone wall. Undeniable. End of discussion.

FACT

you are now spouting exactly what you gave me flak for saying for years.

FACT.

Purchase cost was £132Mill, which has been leveraged against the club, not sure it should really be called “debt” per se as it was the cost of purchasing the shares and as such is really the “value of the club”. It’s just the same as if anyone else had bought the shares, it’s the minimum cost anyone would have to pay to buy the club.

The £70Mill is additional money he had no option but to “put in” due to change of ownership clauses on the existing debts. Whilst that debt hasn’t gone away the benefit is that he’s paid that off as a loan, interest free and unsecured, saves the club £7Mill a year interest and the capital sum of the stadium expansion mortgage (£45Mill) which was due for repayment in 2013 is no longer an issue.

It could be argued that as it’s a debt to the owner and as such to all intents and purposes the club is the owner and visa versa, it’s not really a debt at all, but I wouldn’t go that far as no doubt he will want it back at some point. That said unlike virtually all the other owners who are “in deep” he’s not charging interest and hasn’t secured his lending on club assets, that’s an important point. He therefore has no guarantee, he’ll get it back.

The £27Mill transfer fee’s “owed” had to come from somewhere so in essence he’s covered some of that, as well, in his subsidies to the bottom line.

Manager compensation (Alardarse and KK) was £10Mill

IMO the only thing you can really discount from his “subsidy” is the original purchase price, he could have tried to refinance the £70Mill against the club, but he didn’t, he really did “pay it off” it’s now technically his risk/liability.

so when he bought the club we had about 25m quid of debt ? In big football club terms, that is fuck all and is well worth those 15 years.

Thanks, thats about what I thought it was. What is it now, since your financial whizz kid took over ?

Have you posted that on skunkers so all those clowns can digest it too ?