3D TVs

Ally

The missus has had a tidy payrise so we've decided to treat ourselves to a 42" 3D TV. Can anyone recommend a good one / manufacturer? I've had a quick look on Currys and the prices seem to range from £600-1200. What do you get for your money?

Cheers

I'm not that bothered about 3D as a concept, it was more just thinking if we're gonna spend c£800 on something we might as well get something top end / fancy. If i'd be better off getting a good LED one then i'd be happy to consider.

Don't get a 3D one yet.

They currently rely on 'Active' specs, which have electronic shutters which flick open and closed at a specific rate. The extra money goes into into these specs. Wait six months or so and see which 'Passive' format comes out on top and becomes industry standard otherwise you run the risk of ending up with the 'betamax'.

My folks have just got a 2D Panasonic LED with HD Freeview and Freesat built in. The picture quality is superb.

Spoke to a few sales peeps in the usual places last year when I was considering upgrading from our current LCD.

Basically was told by most that the best / truest picture quality was plasma because it was the only type of TV that could "display" black. They did demonstrate this well in store however there was no getting away from the fact that LED looked the crispest picture.

(Our lass got a newer car instead btw ;) )

Still got my Samsung LED which has been great and use a Humax box for satelite, pause live TV etc and a samsung blu ray which includes internet tv etc and wireless connectivity between your pc. So basically anything you have on your pc plays wirelessly on your TV. (best gadget Ive bought in ages).

If you've never had surround before, watching movies is immense.

Every time Ive looked at 3d in a store, its looked odd.

I have no real need at the moment for a 3D TV, however due to the fact I'm changing over to Sky, I wouldn't mind seeing if the 3D football is actually any good.

Personally i'd spend the money getting a top-end normal TV rather than a lower end 3DTV.

Was trying them out before with the fancy glasses and such in a showroom and it was /ok/ it definitely wasn't an extra grand for the 3dversion of the same tv ok imo but to each their own, or if you've not got a good sound setup i'd say that'd be a bigger increased viewing experience than the 3d.

http://www.reghardware.com/lifestyle/home_entertainment/

good reviews of the latest 3dtv's on there and which would be good for your price range but your going need to splurge at least a grand for anything over 40"'s that isn't diabolical 3D on the cheap

edit > oh aye and Samsung panels are great imo.

I wasn't that impressed either with 3D TV, having said that it was watching the european cup final in the pub and it may have been the crappy specs they dished out from behind the bar

HD Projector, screen, good AV amp, good speakers. beats a TV everytime.

Get rid of the dining room and make it a cinema room, even the Mrs says "best thing we ever did".

Get rid of the dining room and make it a cinema room, even the Mrs says "best thing we ever did".

considered projector route a while back, but aren't (werent?) the bulbs limited and expensive ?

what projector is it you've got on The Enterprise like Spok ?

considered projector route a while back, but aren't (werent?) the bulbs limited and expensive ?

what projector is it you've got on The Enterprise like Spok ?

Projector is old-ish (5 years) now, InFocus IN78, replacement lamp is about £300. Given it gets hammered a good 7-8 hours a day, much more at weekends, I still get about 18 months out of a lamp (It's only now got it's second replacement in).

Even works well in quite bright light, I bought a heavy dark blind for the window but have never bothered putting it up, the curtains (and they are light ones) are fine.

Love that room ;)

• 4 weeks later...
The missus has had a tidy payrise so we've decided to treat ourselves to a 42" 3D TV. Can anyone recommend a good one / manufacturer? I've had a quick look on Currys and the prices seem to range from £600-1200. What do you get for your money?

Cheers

best solution dont go for 3d tvs there a waste of money for what your getten treat yourself to a led tv trhere cheaper and you could probably get yourself a bigger tv for the same price as for makes. go for either samsung sony panasonic dont get plasma get either lcd or led tv