Fraser Forster or The Scottish Football Thread.

mls1-CelticFC

Surely every club has a right to earn money and improve themselves through success though? If you split everything where would that come from. There has to be some element of prize money left in.

In Scotland I don't think it works, because 2 clubs are already so much wealthier than everyone else, and every season they're rewarded for being rich, while small clubs are punished for being poor. And if you want an idea of just what a corrupt farce Scottish football is, this is how the prize money from TV and sponsorship this season is divvied up:

1. 17.0%

2. 10.5%

3. 9.5%

4. 9.0%

5. 8.5%

6. 8.0%

7. 7.5%

8. 7.0%

9. 6.5%

10. 6.0%

11. 5.5%

12. 5.0%

Now, the prize money for winning the league makes virtually no difference to Celtic. But an extra few £100k either way makes a huge difference to clubs like St Johnstone or Inverness who only have 3,000 home fans on a normal day.

Edited by toon_don

In Scotland I don't think it works, because 2 clubs are already so much wealthier than everyone else, and every season they're rewarded for being rich, while small clubs are punished for being poor. And if you want an idea of just what a corrupt farce Scottish football is, this is how the prize money from TV and sponsorship this season is divvied up:

1. 17.0%

2. 10.5%

3. 9.5%

4. 9.0%

5. 8.5%

6. 8.0%

7. 7.5%

8. 7.0%

9. 6.5%

10. 6.0%

11. 5.5%

12. 5.0%

Now, the prize money for winning the league makes virtually no difference to Celtic. But an extra few £100k either way makes a huge difference to clubs like St Johnstone or Inverness who only have 3,000 home fans on a normal day.

I was more thinking about Toonpacks suggestion that all moneys from everywhere being split evenly among the teams. Apart from that I think there must surely be legal implications (companies have a right to make money so I can't see it going unchallenged if the SFA tell them they have to share everything they earn), you have to have a prize to play for. TV money should certainly be split evenly though.

What you say about the crowds that the likes of Inverness get just goes to tell me what I've always believed. The league has too many teams up there. The attendances at every stadium other than Park Head and Ibrox are too low for any of the other teams to ever be able to make an impact. A few clubs need to merge to make bigger clubs that can actually compete. Obviously I realize that getting supporters to agree to this is almost impossible. Telling Dundee and Dundee United fans that need to all start supporting one club is no more likely to be accepted and telling us and the unwashed to do the same!

Edited by David Kelly

I was more thinking about Toonpacks suggestion that all moneys from everywhere being split evenly among the teams. Apart from that I think there must surely be legal implications (companies have a right to make money so I can't see it going unchallenged if the SFA tell them they have to share everything they earn), you have to have a prize to play for. TV money should certainly be split evenly though.

What you say about the crowds that the likes of Inverness get just goes to tell me what I've always believed. The league has too many teams up there. The attendances at every stadium other than Park Head and Ibrox are too low for any of the other teams to ever be able to make an impact. A few clubs need to merge to make bigger clubs that can actually compete. Obviously I realize that getting supporters to agree to this is almost impossible. Telling Dundee and Dundee United fans that need to all start supporting one club is no more likely to be accepted and telling us and the unwashed to do the same!

In the strathclyde area alone there are Rangers, celtic, St Mirren, Partick Thistle, Airdrie, Hamilton Academicals, Greenock Morton. That's a population of Newcastle and Sunderland combined

Winning the SPL must feel so hollow.

I presume it's like masturbation. I mean yeah, you "win" & feel great briefly but given you were the only one around it's not exactly like you're gonna tell your mates about it are you?