On This Day In History

Craig

I often read this section down the right hand side and this story caught my eye (don't remember hearing about it at the time though ;))

2001 Bedlington Terriers dumped United's Reserves out of the Northumberland Senior Cup 2-0. It was the second time the teams had met in the same competition that season, with Newcastle winning the left-over final from the previous season. What was going to be a yellow card for a tackle became a straight red when Jamie McClen gave his name as Santa Claus. An unimpressed referee promptly dispatched him without further ado to the nearby grotto, otherwise known as the changing rooms.

2001-12-20jmc5-s.jpg

"If you've got all them presents to

deliver, you'd best get away early..."

Ref with a sense of humour failure tbh.

I remember that story. ;)

70048[/snapback]

I remember the game! Not so much for the Santa Claus incident, but for a waywayrd shot that ended up in the deep fat fryer of the burger van behind the goal.

Funny at the time, but it could have been pretty nasty.

Awful player.

70060[/snapback]

Playing way above his ability together with Acuna once again Arsenal. Still the best performance from a central midfield I have seen from a Newcastle pair in recent years...

70184[/snapback]

They played fantastic in that match, FA Cup tie. Shame about the replay like ;)

Being a Cramlington lad, my cousin grew up round the corner from him and apparently him and his brother (he's a twin I think) are a right couple of big headed twats.

70141[/snapback]

I remember another story about him - tried the "don't you know who I am" routine at a club on the Quayside. Unfortunately the bouncers didn't. ;)

Awful player.

70060[/snapback]

Playing way above his ability together with Acuna once again Arsenal. Still the best performance from a central midfield I have seen from a Newcastle pair in recent years...

70184[/snapback]

They played fantastic in that match, FA Cup tie. Shame about the replay like ;)

70189[/snapback]

They were brilliant that night.

Awful player.

70060[/snapback]

70184[/snapback]

They played fantastic in that match, FA Cup tie. Shame about the replay like :lol:

70189[/snapback]

70240[/snapback]

I miss "The Lion", thought he was treated quite shabbily just because he wasn't one of Bobby's blue-chip boys. Wonder where he is now?

EDIT: now I come to think of it I think we released him because his mother was ill back in Chile, so I take back that shabby bit. Still should have got more games though.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Awful player.

70060[/snapback]

70184[/snapback]

They played fantastic in that match, FA Cup tie. Shame about the replay like :lol:

70189[/snapback]

70240[/snapback]

I miss "The Lion", thought he was treated quite shabbily just because he wasn't one of Bobby's blue-chip boys. Wonder where he is now?

EDIT: now I come to think of it I think we released him because his mother was ill back in Chile, so I take back that shabby bit. Still should have got more games though.

70465[/snapback]

Acuna is one of my unsung heros of NUFC. Alway liked him.

Scored with a beautiful chip against Leeds IIRC.

And got arrested for drink driving dressed as Captain Hook. :lol:

70473[/snapback]

Nice goal that was.

And I'd forgotten the Cpt. Hook incident. ;):puke:

Guest CrimsonFault
Good player Acuna. Robson signed him then seemed intent on not playing him.

70483[/snapback]

thank god we haven't got a manager that would do that eh

cough (luque) cough

70494[/snapback]

Who?