Xmas nightmare....

Craig

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it was like a scene from Holby City today...

The cannular in his arm has given up and therefore his las lot of antibiotics were going into the tissue rather than the vein. Poor little man was screaming for the half hour it was syringe-driven into him and his sats dropped to 66% and his BPM raced to over 220!

Lots of worried nurses in the room and two very anxious parents. They've settled him now, but there's no way he'll be home anytime soon.

Whats this sats thing mean? Its always just one of those things you hear on Casualty!

Poor kid :D

72298[/snapback]

Sats is a shortened word for oxygen saturation. Basically it's measured as a percentage and it's an indication of how much oxygen is being carried by the red blood cells around the body. Sats are measured at the peripheries of the body with a probe on a finger, toe or ear. Full oxygen saturation is 100% and as a nurse I'd be concerned if a patient of mine had sats of below 95% unless they had some kind of long-term respiratory problem. With kids, their sats drop rapidly and dangerously and you can start to see them going blue before your eyes - it's horrible.

Whats this sats thing mean? Its always just one of those things you hear on Casualty!

Poor kid :blush:

72298[/snapback]

Sats is a shortened word for oxygen saturation. Basically it's measured as a percentage and it's an indication of how much oxygen is being carried by the red blood cells around the body. Sats are measured at the peripheries of the body with a probe on a finger, toe or ear. Full oxygen saturation is 100% and as a nurse I'd be concerned if a patient of mine had sats of below 95% unless they had some kind of long-term respiratory problem. With kids, their sats drop rapidly and dangerously and you can start to see them going blue before your eyes - it's horrible.

72302[/snapback]

Thanks Nurse Cath :D

Poor kid :blush:

72298[/snapback]

72302[/snapback]

seen and witnessed that now - and you're right Cath, it is fucking horrible, worse when it's your own kid.

Thankfully it seemed to be the end of the nasty stuff as the little man has rapidly improved over the remainder of the day. I've left him tonight with no oxygen linked up and the monitor taken off - they're going to check it every two hours during the night but they feel so long as there's no deterioration over night, he'll be home sometime tomorrow. :D

great news Craig!

The thing about kids is that they can go down v fast but can come back just as quickly - the likes of me would be out for weeks

fingers crossed he's back for 2006!

Thankfully it seemed to be the end of the nasty stuff as the little man has rapidly improved over the remainder of the day. I've left him tonight with no oxygen linked up and the monitor taken off - they're going to check it every two hours during the night but they feel so long as there's no deterioration over night, he'll be home sometime tomorrow. ;)

72359[/snapback]

Excellent news Craig - hope your new year isn't too bad after all. :rolleyes:

Cheers peeps.

Just to note he came home today and is a lot better. Little monkey woke up for a feed on the chimes of Big Ben as well.

Happy New Year to all! ;)