Transfer net spend league.

Kevin Carr's Gloves

funny how o'neill's stock has fallen. it wasn't long ago that most people got excited when we were linked with him, or that he was talked about as the next manager of england or man utd.

i suppose that's what managing sunderland will do to your career. shame that both big jobs in the north east are poisoned chalices.

What is the purpose of it? Is there something you're trying to explain / show?

At the moment it's just a foundation. From it I want to look at spending trends, see if any commonly held beliefs can be shown to be myths, see if clubs keep net spend down by selling loads or by selling 1 or 2 for big fees.

figured I might as well share it in case any other nerds wanted to play with the raw data :(

funny how o'neill's stock has fallen. it wasn't long ago that most people got excited when we were linked with him, or that he was talked about as the next manager of england or man utd.

i suppose that's what managing sunderland will do to your career. shame that both big jobs in the north east are poisoned chalices.

One of the smaller jobs in the north-east is no barrier to international management though...

macca595.jpg

At the moment it's just a foundation. From it I want to look at spending trends, see if any commonly held beliefs can be shown to be myths, see if clubs keep net spend down by selling loads or by selling 1 or 2 for big fees.

figured I might as well share it in case any other nerds wanted to play with the raw data :(

I doubt they even think about it, if they want to buy someone and they have the cash at the time, they do, if they don't, they'll flog someone to make up the shortfall at the time they want to make the purchase. What the sold player cost when he was bought won't enter into it.

I suspect the amount of data available will not allow any significant conclusions to be drawn. A spending decision depends on cash availability or whether the deal is paid for over several years or in one lump.

Then wages have to come into it. The model of Everton, for instance, is to pay their players massive wages at the expense of signing new players. This doesn't mean they're not investing, but a net spend analysis would suggest this was the case.

There are so many different factors at play its almost impossible to draw any conclusions from it. Transfer fees being largely undisclosed now is also an issue. Ben Arfa cost us less than £3m in transfer fee, but a chunk for agents fees. Ba was free but cost £2m in fees. These should all be added as part of the consideration as the clubs would definitely include them. There just isn't the available data, I fear.

Fucked over Villa before he did the same to Sunderland. A Villa fan on N-O predicted pretty much everything that has happened at Sunderland. They even posted his "bullshit" on RTG but now a lot are accepting he was spot on about him now.

O'Neill is too old fashioned. He found a formula that worked years ago but has never been able to adapt to changes in football, he keeps making the same mistakes and rarely spends money on players not proven in this league already. When he has they haven't done well. He desperately needs an Graham Carr but I doubt he would ever admit it.

The longer he stays and the more money they back him with the worse they will get. I hope he stays for many seasons yet :D

I suspect the amount of data available will not allow any significant conclusions to be drawn. A spending decision depends on cash availability or whether the deal is paid for over several years or in one lump.

Then wages have to come into it. The model of Everton, for instance, is to pay their players massive wages at the expense of signing new players. This doesn't mean they're not investing, but a net spend analysis would suggest this was the case.

There are so many different factors at play its almost impossible to draw any conclusions from it. Transfer fees being largely undisclosed now is also an issue. Ben Arfa cost us less than £3m in transfer fee, but a chunk for agents fees. Ba was free but cost £2m in fees. These should all be added as part of the consideration as the clubs would definitely include them. There just isn't the available data, I fear.

You're not wrong in that wages have a massive part to play (especially with clubs who aren't included in this like Portsmouth and Leeds, however I think transfers do give an insight into the ambitions/boundaries/expectations that clubs operate under.

For example, Aston Villa won't offer sufficiently large wages to convince players to join them ahead of another club, it's surely the fee that they offer the owner club that forces the move. The opposite might be said of Tottenham, I couldn't say for certain that isn't true, however Spurs aren't shy of spending big.

It is interesting that 95/96 wasn't a season of big transfer fees. Now, why did that happen? Did people expect the extra money from Sky to dry up? Did they anticipate Man U to run away with the title? Did they see progress by Man U without massive expense as a blueprint?

Any half decent french player ( not the Zidane's of this world cos he was a better than half decent ) will look at us and realise it could be a huge plus to move here as a career move,and on a decent wage ( french wage ) ,so we could be a sort of feeder club for them.

vincent-price-o-rly.gif