***Official Mike Ashley Euro express thread***

Baggio

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The League Cup in itself will only determine if 6th place is good enough anyway.

Just a different way of wording it really,.

Just meant it's dependent on the FA Cup too, obviously. 7th should probably be good enough though. I agree with what you said about Everton being the danger btw. Barring a disaster I can't really see us coming worse than 8th and lower than 7th would be a major disappointment.

The League Cup in itself will only determine if 6th place is good enough anyway.

Just a different way of wording it really,.

Just meant it's dependent on the FA Cup too, obviously. 7th should probably be good enough though. I agree with what you said about Everton being the danger btw. Barring a disaster I can't really see us coming worse than 8th and lower than 7th would be a major disappointment.

They're a consistent team so you have to give it to them, they've finished in the top 8 more times in the last 5 seasons than we have since Dalglish started his first full season here which shows how consistent they are as one of the top half clubs.

I do get the feeling that we're capable of overtaking them, even if that isn't until next season however if they had signed Ba in the Summer then I'd back them to have finished above Liverpool.

Following last January's cash windfall (the sale of Carroll, and failing to adequately replace him ie. in this case not all) the team ran on petrol fumes, and the point return down the season's final stretch told it all. He was that integral to the team's structure, and effectiveness in the final third.

Similar pattern will occur if Collo (arguably the league's best ball-playing centrehalf) and Tiote (our midfield enforcer) are sold, and are replaced by inferior but cost-effective stock for the price of peanuts. A finish of 10th beckons.

For players like Colo and Tiote to be sold then perspective buyers would have to pay a massive premium(like Carroll) plus the players will actually want to join that club. It seems both are really happy especially Colo plus he's captain, which must carry some weight in keeping him.

All this about clubs coming in to cherry pick our best players is O.T.T.

Carroll went for mega bucks, Enrique wanted away and Nolan and Barton were shifted, they were not poached by bigger clubs.

enrique wanting away was a matter of the hen and egg though. Might not have happened if we actually spent during summer. He wanted away because we didnt invest.

The extra 20k a week may have something to do with it too. He saw Liverpool as the better option and champions league football. May not be the case now tho.

Who exactly LIKES Ashley?? Plenty?? Are you nuts?

I'm happy the team is playing well, I think Pardew is doing a great job, the coaching and scouting side of the club is set up well. I'm happy with the players that have been brought in recently and where we are in the league. I also applaud that we have not blown silly money on has beens looking for a pension instead we are signing young, hungry players.

Does that mean I like Ashley?

Agree.

"want to be here" is a very loose term. Does Luka Modric like it at tottenham? He wanted away in in summer, transfer request and everything. Players are like kids, their preferences changes daily helped by agents always wanting a piece of the pie and whispering them tales of greatness. Sometimes they need to be put in place and told to focus on fotball. Noone wants to be here given the right offer from another club. You gotta play hardball sometimes, tell them to stay put and play fotball. Gerrard and chelsea anno 2005 comes to mind...

Edited by Saltwater

"want to be here" is a very loose term. Does Luka Modric like it at tottenham? He wanted away in in summer, transfer request and everything. Players are like kids, their preferences changes daily helped by agents always wanting a piece of the pie and whispering them tales of greatness. Sometimes they need to be put in place and told to focus on fotball. Noone wants to be here given the right offer from another club. You gotta play hardball sometimes, tell them to stay put and play fotball. Gerrard and chelsea anno 2005 comes to mind...

Aye, good point. I sort of agree with jay but these things aren't as cut and dry as he is making out.

Aye, good point. I sort of agree with jay but these things aren't as cut and dry as he is making out.

Modric doesn't want to be at Spurs, he made that pretty clear. They didn't sell him and he's playing well by all accounts. He has a 6 year contract, Enrique was coming into the last year. I still reckon Modric will be off soon anyway as they will receive a mega money offer they can't turn down

They've already received a massive offer for Modric. Anyway, it wasn't a dig at your pov, as you're right in that it's good to have the right sort of players playing for the club in terms of attitude but I don't doubt anyone of them would want to be away if the 'right club' came knocking. With that in mind, Saltwater was right to point out you can put up much more of a fight to keep players than we always have under Ashley. Who knows if Enrique could've been persuaded to stay on if he'd felt the club was moving in the right direction. Now, we do seem to be moving in the right direction but few of us thought that when he left so you can see where he was coming from when he decided to join Liverpool (who we still probably lag someway behind, all things considered).

Edited by alex

They've already received a massive offer for Modric. Anyway, it wasn't a dig at your pov, as you're right in that it's good to have the right sort of players playing for the club in terms of attitude but I don't doubt anyone of them would want to be away if the 'right club' came knocking. With that in mind, Saltwater was right to point out you can put up much more of a fight to keep players than we always have under Ashley. Who knows if Enrique could've been persuaded to stay on if he'd felt the club was moving in the right direction. Now, we do seem to be moving in the right direction but few of us thought that when he left so you can see where he was coming from when he decided to join Liverpool (who we still probably lag someway behind, all things considered).

Didn't think it was a dig. Enrique, I guess,wanted champions league football and unfortunatly for him I don't think he's going to get it there. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the big boys from Spain or Italy come in for him next year. I don't think we stood any chance of keeping him and we were not in a position to command mega bucks due to his contract situation.

I hope we get Colo signed up onto a new deal, as someone said previously his kids settled and happy,his mate Jonas has just signed a new deal,he's our captain and we are doing well. So those things considered I think he will

Following last January's cash windfall (the sale of Carroll, and failing to adequately replace him ie. in this case not all) the team ran on petrol fumes, and the point return down the season's final stretch told it all. He was that integral to the team's structure, and effectiveness in the final third.

Similar pattern will occur if Collo (arguably the league's best ball-playing centrehalf) and Tiote (our midfield enforcer) are sold, and are replaced by inferior but cost-effective stock for the price of peanuts. A finish of 10th beckons.

Eh? Wasnt our average points to game ratio pretty much the same after january?

I think Enrique just wanted a side showing ambition. Liverpool are not in the CL and as such not in a position to pick and choose from the top shelf, so they are left with spending fortunes on the next best thing, english players who command a premium and value the club history. I`d wager Enrique felt our side was going nowhere with all the departures and noone coming in for big money during the summer, and as such he probably didnt buy into the long term plan, if there is one.

He doesnt strike me as a rocket surgeon, so if Dekka approached him and said " look, we are gonna sell him and him and him, buy him and him and him, do this and this and this - and aim for europe this season, and have a dig at CL next year" - I genuinely believe he could have bought into it. That combined with our current league position - yeah I think he would have signed a new deal with Maiga, Giroud etc coming in as well.

Alas, we will never know will we.

Modric doesn't want to be at Spurs, he made that pretty clear. They didn't sell him and he's playing well by all accounts. He has a 6 year contract, Enrique was coming into the last year. I still reckon Modric will be off soon anyway as they will receive a mega money offer they can't turn down

You mean as in a 43 million pound offer? Yeah they turned that down. I struggle to see who would offer 50-60 million pounds for a defensive midfielder who isnt scoring for fun....

and Noone in their right mind would go from Tottenham to Chelsea now - things being the way they are currently.

You mean as in a 43 million pound offer? Yeah they turned that down. I struggle to see who would offer 50-60 million pounds for a defensive midfielder who isnt scoring for fun....

and Noone in their right mind would go from Tottenham to Chelsea now - things being the way they are currently.

I thought the offer was 30mil not sure I read about the 43?

He's not a defensive midfielder either

Box-to-box perhaps then. Yeah I watch quite alot of tottenhams games, modric is to me a cleaner who also likes running with the ball and spraying passes further up. In the 2010-2011 season he seemed to have adopted a defensive midfield role in addition to to playmaking, but if we are getting into semantics thats okay, sorry. Last I heard the sums involved surpassed 40 million...

Edited by Saltwater

I think Enrique just wanted a side showing ambition. Liverpool are not in the CL and as such not in a position to pick and choose from the top shelf, so they are left with spending fortunes on the next best thing, english players who command a premium and value the club history. I`d wager Enrique felt our side was going nowhere with all the departures and noone coming in for big money during the summer, and as such he probably didnt buy into the long term plan, if there is one.

He doesnt strike me as a rocket surgeon, so if Dekka approached him and said " look, we are gonna sell him and him and him, buy him and him and him, do this and this and this - and aim for europe this season, and have a dig at CL next year" - I genuinely believe he could have bought into it. That combined with our current league position - yeah I think he would have signed a new deal with Maiga, Giroud etc coming in as well.

What does a rocket surgeon do??

As for Enrique, you seriously think we can have a tilt at the champions league without spending a fucking fortune?

Hey Jose we are signing Miaga you want to sign??

Ja,Ja,ja

Box-to-box perhaps then. Yeah I watch quite alot of tottenhams games, modric is to me a cleaner who also likes running with the ball and spraying passes further up.. if we are getting into semantics thats okay though, sorry. Last I heard the sums involved surpassed 40 million...

A cleaner?

Spurs sure do make them work for their money. Can see him now running round Harrys place, dyson in one hand can of Mr Sheen in the other

As for Enrique, you seriously think we can have a tilt at the champions league without spending a fucking fortune?

Ja,Ja,ja

4th in the league come new years, Ba firing on all cylinders, another class striker coming in, player group ecstatic and the club being talked about everywhere - I cant help but think that at least the point of departure for contract negotiations would be significantly different from what they were this summer.

Rocket surgeon is just a joke expression - rocket scientist and brain surgeon melted into one..

Challenging for CL without spending a fortune? With Carr, yes. I dont think you have to spend 150 million to do it, thats just the easy way of becoming instant contenders, by signing the "it" players everyone is talking about.

Give Carr a genuine warchest consisting of what we got for Carroll and I think he could have found 6-7 top-class players from France and Netherlands...

Whether 35 mill is an absolute fortune is of cource up for debate, though.

Edited by Saltwater

Ja,Ja,ja

4th in the league come new years, Ba firing on all cylinders, another class striker coming in, player group ecstatic and the club being talked about everywhere - I cant help but think that at least the point of departure for contract negotiations would be significantly different from what they were this summer.

Rocket surgeon is just a joke expression - rocket scientist and brain surgeon melted into one..

Challenging for CL without spending a fortune? With Carr, yes. I dont think you have to spend 150 million to do it, thats just the easy way of becoming instant contenders, by signing the "it" players everyone is talking about.

Give Carr a genuine warchest consisting of what we got for Carroll and I think he could have found 6-7 top-class players from France and Netherlands...

Whether 35 mill is an absolute fortune is of cource up for debate, though.

Jesus mate, when Leazes reads that your gonna get all kinds of drunken ramblings coming at you. Africans kicking coconuts on a beach to replace Tiote etc,etc.

I admit we are playing well and I think with a few additions and no major departures we can push for Europe but come on mate, get real