***Official Mike Ashley Euro express thread***

Baggio

sometimes, it's not so necessary though as most of them agree, because they are also fairly knowledgeable about the club and realise football wasn't invented in 1992.

You mean they nod their head and hope that you'll just shut up about it.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

, I make numerous comments about the directors and board of the 60's, 70's and 80', but because it involves dishing out praise to the Halls and Shepherd, I'm sure people just close their eyes and simply don't want to hear the truth.

That's the thing, it doesn't require you to dish out praise to Hall and Shepherd! Everything else can be discussed without mention of them.

unfortunately, it isn't always me who mentions them first, a lot of the time I try to avoid it, but people who harp on about how well Ashley is doing, simply invite the comparison, because the simple fact is that, long term, the club is not set up to attempt the same degree of success that people got used to ie they had higher standards and expectations, but didn't and still don't realise it.

Anyway, I'll leave this for now, I've got quite a lot on the next few days anyway but it would be nice to see if some people started listening for a change. I've tried to put across my genuine thoughts in the last few posts, no wind up [which I actually very rarely do despite what some may think - proving the pre-determined anti Halls and Shepherd attitudes in my view].

Edited by LeazesMag

, I make numerous comments about the directors and board of the 60's, 70's and 80', but because it involves dishing out praise to the Halls and Shepherd, I'm sure people just close their eyes and simply don't want to hear the truth.

That's the thing, it doesn't require you to dish out praise to Hall and Shepherd! Everything else can be discussed without mention of them.

unfortunately, it isn't always me who mentions them first, a lot of the time I try to avoid it, but people who harp on about how well Ashley is doing, simply invite the comparison, because the simple fact is that, long term, the club is not set up to attempt the same degree of success that people got used to ie they had higher standards and expectations, but didn't and still don't realise it.

Please try to understand this. The vast majority of people on here are not praising Mike Ashley. We can say how well the team and manager are doing without that being a compliment for Ashley. Maybe you should just let the odd comment go? There's no need to defend Hall and Shepherd at every opportunity.

Edit: Fuck it, why am I even bothering?

Edited by ewerk

Aye that's fair enough Ewerk, I'd guess 90% of people on here don't like him, and maybe 25% of people fail to realise how lucky he's been to have the club in the position we are now.

Everything else aside, Leazes. You do realise that this is exactly the sort of reaction Baggio is looking for, don't you? He'll be loving this.

of course he will, he's proving that by not replying to me nor responding to my offer.

He will also be loving the gullible element who are agreeing with him, rather than those who remember the stupid posts he made in the past, which will only re-inforce his view that he is right, when he isn't [like Mike Ashley, who will also now be thinking he can continue selling our best players, pocket the cash, and thrive on the pitch]. Such false adulation is dangerous, as will become ever more clear when things start to go wrong and people realise we are not actually doing things as well as they think.

Please try to understand this. The vast majority of people on here are not praising Mike Ashley. We can say how well the team and manager are doing without that being a compliment for Ashley. Maybe you should just let the odd comment go? There's no need to defend Hall and Shepherd at every opportunity.

Edit: Fuck it, why am I even bothering?

well, why am I bothering ?

I've spent over 4 years explaining this, and people still don't listen and are fooled by a few short term results.

I realise some people don't like Ashley, but plenty do, and the danger now is, as I've said above, our recent run will only convince him further that he can continue selling our best players, pocket the cash, and not take such a big hit on the pitch, but such

a run and good fortune cannot and will not continue while operating this policy.

Noone likes MIke Ashley. They still dont bother banging on about it every breating second though. Why not take pleasure in the quality in the side and enjoy the games and our good run, instead of sitting in the bathtub slitting your wrists over what might or might not happen the next 3 years.

I honestly dont understand why u bother arguing with yourself and ur imaginary strawmen..

Noone likes MIke Ashley. They still dont bother banging on about it every breating second though. Why not take pleasure in the quality in the side and enjoy the games and our good run, instead of sitting in the bathtub slitting your wrists over what might or might not happen the next 3 years.

I honestly dont understand why u bother arguing with yourself and ur imaginary strawmen..

oh dear.

Have you ever spent 1350 quid hoping your football team loses ?

Just lately you've made a few decent posts mate, but I'm afraid this one lets you down badly, its the sort of shite that people used to say on Newcastle Online.

Who exactly LIKES Ashley?? Plenty?? Are you nuts?

I'm happy the team is playing well, I think Pardew is doing a great job, the coaching and scouting side of the club is set up well. I'm happy with the players that have been brought in recently and where we are in the league. I also applaud that we have not blown silly money on has beens looking for a pension instead we are signing young, hungry players.

Does that mean I like Ashley?

I realise some people don't like Ashley, but plenty do, and the danger now is, as I've said above, our recent run will only convince him further that he can continue selling our best players, pocket the cash, and not take such a big hit on the pitch, but such

a run and good fortune cannot and will not continue while operating this policy.

I totally agree. As good a job as our scouting team have done with our signings, there's an element of luck involved there too. We can't expect them to keep coming up with such value for money transfers year after year.

What we all want to see is us building on our good first XI with additions to the squad and filling in the odd weak spot in the team. Time will tell whether that happens. I know you're not optimistic about it and neither am I.

Honestly, I can't think of anyone who "likes Ashley". I mean even Toonpack, (who seems the most vociferous advocate of the financial strategy that Ashley has in place) has never been a fan of Ashley.

Leazes, if you could point out one person who posts on here that likes Ashley I'll happily admit I'm wrong, but so far, it seems that you're the only one who thinks that people like Ashley.

Seems to me the majority on here are pleased with how things are going ON THE FIELD and are pleasantly surprised with the performances of the signings while neither getting carried away nor seeing doom around every corner. Seems like the majority would love to join Spurs in flashing the cash, but are fully aware that it's just not a feasible model in the current football world.

Edited by The Fish

There isnt a single person on here who thinks our summer pickings and bargain signings are due to Mikes brilliant big plan to fire us into the CL-places slowly and in due time. We have a brilliant scout who operate on a shoestring, for some reason that is enough to be top dogs in PL at the moment. I`ll put it down to other teams inability to do the same, not our fantastic owner though.

I also applaud that we have not blown silly money on has beens looking for a pension instead we are signing young, hungry players.

do you mean players who qualify for the Champions League and Europe more than any other club bar 4 in a 15-year period, and catapult the club from staring into the 3rd division into one of the biggest in europe in the process ?

You shouldn't really cherry pick chum, you will continue to be made to look a fool when the whole picture is pointed out like this. Again.

Leazes, I agree with everything you say - just so we got that clear. Mike is on a giant saving spree, but it COULD have been worse. He could have spent fuck all and just sold off everyone and replacing them with academy youngsters. The reason he doesnt do that is because that jeopardizes our existence in the premier league, so he HAS to inject A LITTLE in order to keep us floating. He reckoned the best way of doing that was gambling on proven Ligue 1 players - since they are so cheap - while still being good - and having a tradition of transitioning to the EPL style of play quite good as proven in other clubs.

Now - Mike aimed for mid-table mediocracy, but he got lucky. for some reason we take way more points than expected. He still plans to flog everyone though given the right offer, Im sure of that.

But before throwing ourselves under rocks and crying, the players who go WILL be replaced with cheaper options. Who COULD turn out just as good. So for the time being, we are doing well - and even if we lose players, we could still end up doing well.

Glass half-full and all that.

Leazes, I agree with everything you say - just so we got that clear. Mike is on a giant saving spree, but it COULD have been worse. He could have spent fuck all and just sold off everyone and replacing them with academy youngsters. The reason he doesnt do that is because that jeopardizes our existence in the premier league, so he HAS to inject A LITTLE in order to keep us floating. He reckoned the best way of doing that was gambling on proven Ligue 1 players - since they are so cheap - while still being good - and having a tradition of transitioning to the EPL style of play quite good as proven in other clubs.

Now - Mike aimed for mid-table mediocracy, but he got lucky. for some reason we take way more points than expected. He still plans to flog everyone though given the right offer, Im sure of that.

But before throwing ourselves under rocks and crying, the players who go WILL be replaced with cheaper options. Who COULD turn out just as good. So for the time being, we are doing well - and even if we lose players, we could still end up doing well.

Glass half-full and all that.

we could be doing well, but not anywhere near as well as we should, but if we attempted to we would get a lot closer. Is the bottom line.

For that reason, it will not be sustained. It seems to me that numerous people are unable to see the longer term here, some just sit on the fence, and others are just clueless.

Edited by LeazesMag

we could be doing well, but not anywhere near as well as we should, but if we attempted to we would get a lot closer. Is the bottom line.

Closer to what? And how much do you think it would realistically cost to challenge for the European/CL places?

Closer to what? And how much do you think it would realistically cost to challenge for the European/CL places?

I've said this a million times, have you been drinking ?

I've said this a million times, have you been drinking ?

How much?

I also applaud that we have not blown silly money on has beens looking for a pension instead we are signing young, hungry players.

do you mean players who qualify for the Champions League and Europe more than any other club bar 4 in a 15-year period, and catapult the club from staring into the 3rd division into one of the biggest in europe in the process ?

You shouldn't really cherry pick chum, you will continue to be made to look a fool when the whole picture is pointed out like this. Again.

Owen?

Viduka?

Geremi?

Cacapa?

Boumsong?

Luque?

Butt?

I could carry on and before you chirp in I know some of those were signed while Ashley was here.

Jesus Christ the way you talk every single player under Shepherd was Lional Messi.

You named those Ashley lovers yet??

Carling cup football tonight but we won't find out if 7th is good enough for European qualification still just yet as one of either Cardiff or Blackburn is guaranteed a place in the semi's, it's looking safe at the moment with the standard of teams still in there but you never know.

Everyone on here would agree that the Shepherd era was better overall. The latter days with him at the helm were shit though and I actually prefer the current situation (which has come about through a large slice of luck as others have said.). Most don't think the current plan is likely to be sustainable. Chances are it won't be, but LM seems to have a serious problem with allowing people to even remotely enjoy the good spell we're having.