***Official Mike Ashley Euro express thread***

Baggio

The previous board was in charge, unless you only want to compare Mikey boy's regime to after Sir John stepped down. Then you can't claim the average positions or all of the EU qualifications. Can't have it both ways.

it isn't me who is stupid enough to think a minority shareholder runs the football club single handed.

Meanwhile in the real world. Shareholding (without a seat on the board) is irrelevant to involvement in running anything, the Chairman/CEO and the board run the club (or any other business for that matter) with the chairman making, and being responsible for, day to day decisions and policy etc.

Meanwhile, in the real world, what [about the 6th request, you're becoming as evasive as the grey man], what is your Re-assessment of Mike Ashley and his intentions for the club since September 1st, particularly in view of your recent post where you expressed the hope that he "builds on this" [words to that effect] ?

Take your time

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick point about competing with Liverpool and Spurs, lets not forget that when Mike Ashley bought the club we finished that previous season in 13th, while Spurs finished in 5th and Liverpool in 3rd.

I don't see us finishing 17 points behind Spurs and 25 points behind Liverpool this season, we're closing the gap.

Very simplistic way of looking at things. Of course it had nothing to do with Roeder having NUFC's worst injury crisis in its' history did it? Particularly in the second half of the season. 12th anyway.

How else would you judge it?

How many of that current squad would walk into this first team? Is that a better way to show improvement?

when are you going to flounce off again ? How is your view that Wise and the DOF system would succeed where Keegan wouldn't ?

Just a quick point about competing with Liverpool and Spurs, lets not forget that when Mike Ashley bought the club we finished that previous season in 13th, while Spurs finished in 5th and Liverpool in 3rd.

I don't see us finishing 17 points behind Spurs and 25 points behind Liverpool this season, we're closing the gap.

haha. Carried away by a few results. I always knew you were clueless.

The previous board was in charge, unless you only want to compare Mikey boy's regime to after Sir John stepped down. Then you can't claim the average positions or all of the EU qualifications. Can't have it both ways.

it isn't me who is stupid enough to think a minority shareholder runs the football club single handed.

Meanwhile in the real world. Shareholding (without a seat on the board) is irrelevant to involvement in running anything, the Chairman/CEO and the board run the club (or any other business for that matter) with the chairman making, and being responsible for, day to day decisions and policy etc.

Meanwhile, in the real world, what [about the 6th request, you're becoming as evasive as the grey man], what is your Re-assessment of Mike Ashley and his intentions for the club since September 1st, particularly in view of your recent post where you expressed the hope that he "builds on this" [words to that effect] ?

Take your time

Why should I type it out again ??? You patently can't read.

We at last have a sustainable platform, and yes we will build upon it, may be slow, but we will build. Bookmark this if you wish.

I disagree. I think Cabaye Tiote Ben Arfa all will be flogged at some point, no doubt for a juicy fee. For the time being though, I just enjoy seeing them play together. Lifes too short

Yup, this is the most likely thing to happen. That said, if/when they do go if they're replaced as well as others have been in recent times than I believe we could sustain ourselves as a top 8 team.

But the main point is to enjoy this while we have it. We won't win anything but we could finish 7th and possibly qualify for europe which is a massive improvement on the shit of recent times (both Ashley's and the latter day Shepherd eras).

I disagree. I think Cabaye Tiote Ben Arfa all will be flogged at some point, no doubt for a juicy fee. For the time being though, I just enjoy seeing them play together. Lifes too short

Yup, this is the most likely thing to happen. That said, if/when they do go if they're replaced as well as others have been in recent times than I believe we could sustain ourselves as a top 8 team.

But the main point is to enjoy this while we have it. We won't win anything but we could finish 7th and possibly qualify for europe which is a massive improvement on the shit of recent times (both Ashley's and the latter day Shepherd eras).

A lot of merit in this viewpoint for me. Of course theres no guarantees we can sustain anything but then we've never sustained anything in the top flight beyond three consecutive seasons anyway, plus we never win owt as a rule so it's not like we're suddenly seeing trophies drying up. You have to be allowed to enjoy seeing players who want to play for the club pull the shirt on, theres absolutely nowt wrong with that and anyone who takes the opposite view is just diddling themselves out of some perfectly legit enjoyment. We can consolidate and even build but it's a question of extent and degree-as we don't have billions we can't compete with 4 clubs in particular but fucking hell, this team was expected to go down the first season back. The talk is always of lowered expectations but iyam we've gone from fans saying we'll go straight back down to being unhappy we might not match Tottenham this year within 16 months. Thats blatantly raised expecations, not lowered expectations. We don't assume relegation now so we assume selling all our best players instead. Fucks sake.

Yes Ashley's a cunt but the fact he's got billions of his own sadly doesnt make us entitled to them whether we'd like it or not. It'd be crazy if we didn't enjoy the bits we can though. Football's cyclical anyway with only a couple of clubs bucking the trend historically in terms of success and we're not one of them. The fact we're not one of them should make us enjoy watching a decent team all the more rather than less if anything.

This team fucking deserves our support.

P13 Pts26

Haven't seen any of the highlights yet but I'm going to watch the MOTD highlights now, I read the report on the BBC last night on my phone and it sounded like we hung on at times which was to be expected.

A great effort from the lads and shows the great team spirit Pardew has helped build here when we can come from being behind at Old Trafford to get something.

Everton are the team to watch.

For what reason?

I just think they're a good team that is missing a goalscorer, I also think they've benefited from not having a large turnover of players in the starting 11 in recent years, it's helped them keep a good understanding on the pitch.

If you look at their fixtures coming up they're all winnable until the new year apart from a visit to the Emirates, they seem to have had a tough start in terms of fixtures.

Very simplistic way of looking at things. Of course it had nothing to do with Roeder having NUFC's worst injury crisis in its' history did it? Particularly in the second half of the season. 12th anyway.

How else would you judge it?

How many of that current squad would walk into this first team? Is that a better way to show improvement?

You'd find a place for Milner, and arguably N'Zogbia. Regardless what anyone says Given was better than Krul too who can still improve further though.

So at the very worst we have improved in 7 positions on the pitch, that's leaving Taylor out as he would be in both teams despite him being a better player now than he was back then.

Clearly an improvement.

Guest CabayeAye

TBF, I think a combined now/Shepherd squad might look like this:

--------------------Krul

Santon Woodgate Colo Hughes

Solano Tiote Cabaye Jonas

-----------Shearer Bellamy

Which is 6 players for now, 5 for Shepherd. I think the big difference would be squad depth. We have a paper thin squad now and when injuries/suspension start to bite we might suffer, especially if either Colo or Saylor gets injured.

Guest CabayeAye

Right so you'd pick Hughes over Enrique and have Santon at RB, who hasn't started for us yet. Deano-esque! ;)

Listen gob-shite, Enrique neither plays for us now, nor did he play under Shepherd. And who would you play before Santon at RB? Simpson? Raylor? Griffin?

I was talking about the latter day shepherd teams to the current side though. Of course if we took the whole Shepherd/Halls era and compared it to Ashleys it would be mostly players from the mid 90s and early 2000s with the exception of a few of the recent defenders.

Robert > Jonas

Robert >>>>>>>>>>>>>Jonas

Couldn't give a shit if Jonas does work hard, Robert was the best winger since Ginola and wasn't far from being as good as David.

I've just been looking at Ba's scoring stats since he's been in the Premiership and they are excellent, only Van Persie and Aguero have a better goals to games ratio in the Premiership during 2011 for players with over 10 goals.

Ba is joint 3rd with Sturridge from what I can make out (16 in 24, Sturridge 14 in 21)

I was talking about the latter day shepherd teams to the current side though. Of course if we took the whole Shepherd/Halls era and compared it to Ashleys it would be mostly players from the mid 90s and early 2000s with the exception of a few of the recent defenders.

Agreed, there was a massive drop in quality from Robson's team compared to what Ashley inherited.

Robert > Jonas

Couldn't give a shit if Jonas does work hard, Robert was the best winger since Ginola and wasn't far from being as good as David.

I'd take the Robert of his first season here over Ginola in his first season here, so much more productive but he let himself down near the end of his time here.

Robert > Jonas

I'd take the Robert of his first season here o

ver Ginola in his first season here, so much more productive but he let himself down near the

of his time here.

Loved Robert, some thunderbolts,knocking Bernard over with that free kick and playing that game with what looked like a puffer jacket under his shirt