***Official Mike Ashley Euro express thread***

Baggio

Well lets be a bit careful before we shit all over Valencia, Young and Nani like.

For all his talent he needs to show consistency. Take Nani last year, 13 goals and 21 assists or something was it? Quite impressive.

Getting another ben arfa would be nigh-impossible, but I am sure there are french ( :) ) wingers in ligue 1 who are alot better than Jonas going forward. If we got a class left back in, that would enable someone to bomb forward on that flank too

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well lets be a bit careful before we shit all over Valencia, Young and Nani like.

For all his talent he needs to show consistency. Take Nani last year, 13 goals and 21 assists or something was it? Quite impressive.

Getting another ben arfa would be nigh-impossible, but I am sure there are french ( :) ) wingers in ligue 1 who are alot better than Jonas going forward. If we got a class left back in, that would enable someone to bomb forward on that flank too

There is something you need to bear in mind when comparing any of our players on an individual basis to what you see from current, perennial and three times consecutive champions Man United: it is far easier to play for them than us with that quality around you. Chances created can literally double or treble ours each match. That is equally true of the quality of the chances created.

Young and Valencia are gash compared to Ben Arfa. They couldnt even attempt to play like he does. Nani has been hugely effective but bearing in mind what I've just said, that's in a team that marrauds forward at will with passing opportunities all around him. It simply doesnt apply to anyone playing here.

Very true, its way easier being a good player in Manchester United.

Im biased but I struggle to find players of similar ilk to Ben Arfa, not only in england but also Europe. An in-form Robben would be the most accurate comparison imo.

The way he just wades through players is very similar to messi, he makes it look so easy yet at the same time you know 95% of the wingers in the PL struggle enough with 1 man. My theory is that Ben arfa has the rare gift of being so in touch with the ball that he doesnt actually have to watch it to dribble, meaning instead of the usual " decides on where to dribble, defender follows, it either works or it doesnt", he shifts from side to side to see where the defender goes, then goes the other way. This way sometimes it just looks like he runs right through people.

The most amazing thing is, this alone even paired with jonasesque finishing ability would probably get him a spot in most PL sides.

He just happends to have a lethal finishing ability as well.

At the end of the day I end up with one single question:

How in gods name did such a player end up on the tyne.

We need to give him the keys to the city and donate our finest virgin to him as soon as possible in order to tie him down for life.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

According to Wikipedia, if Chelsea win the cup and finish 5th then the European place defaults to the 6th place team.

So even if Everton beat Liverpool we could still be in with a shout! If it's Everton v Spurs though we're fucked

UEFA Champions League

The top four teams in the Barclays Premier League qualify for the UEFA Champions League.

English winners of the UEFA Champions League finishing outside the top four places (but who qualify for the UEFA Europa League through their domestic Barclays Premier League position) go forward as Winners to the group stage along with domestic champions, runners-up and third place.

No extra domestic place can be gained by winning the UEFA Champions League, therefore the team finishing fourth drops to the UEFA Europa League.

English winners of the UEFA Champions League who do not qualify through their domestic position go forward as Winners to the group stage, with the team finishing fourth dropping to the UEFA Europa League. In this case, the national association of the title-holder is entitled to one additional place in the UEFA Europa League.

UEFA Europa League

There are three places in the UEFA Europa League available: the FA Cup winners will enter at the Group Stage; the fifth place team in the Barclays Premier League will enter at the Play-Off stage; and the Football League Cup winners will enter at the Q3 stage.

In the event the FA Cup winners are qualified for the UEFA Champions League the FA Cup runners-up will qualify, but in the place reserved for the lowest ranking Barclays Premier League representative. The place with direct access to the Group Stage will be given to the club that finishes in the highest position in the Barclays Premier League of the clubs qualifying for the UEFA Europa League.

English winners of the UEFA Europa League will enter at the Group Stage, gaining an extra domestic place only if they fail to qualify through other means for the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League. If the holders of the UEFA Europa League have already qualified for Europe, no extra domestic place will be gained.

Should the FA Cup winners, runners-up (if applicable) and the Football League Cup winners already have qualified for Europe, their place goes to the next best placed clubs in the Premier League.

Fair Play winners enter at the Qualifying round 1 stage.

This place will automatically go the three best-placed national associations in the UEFA Respect fair play rankings provided they achieve an average of 8.0 points or more. The top three associations will then be entitled to enter the club that has either won their domestic top-division fair play competition, or if they are already qualified, the runners-up and so forth.

http://www.premierle...play-in-europe/

Edited by Happy Face

According to Wikipedia, if Chelsea win the cup and finish 5th then the European place defaults to the 6th place team.

So even if Everton beat Liverpool we could still be in with a shout! If it's Everton v Spurs though we're fucked

Not if we take the matters in our own hands and dick chelsea to 5th ;) nyah-nyah

We're virtually in Europe if the bin dippers beat, well, the other bin dippers. (Liverpool beat Everton.) If they don't, we need to finish 5th or higher. As I understand it.

HOWEVER, after Swansea, we have three eminently winnable games ahead of a potentially huge game at Stamford Bridge, Citeh at home and Everton away. You've got to feel that if we get three points on Friday we are right in the mix for a Champions League spot, particularly if you look at the fixtures of Chelski, l'Arse and Spuds. Even this weekend, Arsenal face Man City, Tottenham go to the mackems and Chelsea still have to visit Arsenal and Tottenham! We have a shot at it, for sure.

There is something you need to bear in mind when comparing any of our players on an individual basis to what you see from current, perennial and three times consecutive champions Man United: it is far easier to play for them than us with that quality around you. Chances created can literally double or treble ours each match. That is equally true of the quality of the chances created.

Young and Valencia are gash compared to Ben Arfa. They couldnt even attempt to play like he does. Nani has been hugely effective but bearing in mind what I've just said, that's in a team that marrauds forward at will with passing opportunities all around him. It simply doesnt apply to anyone playing here.

Oh no :glare:

Silva, and maybe even Nasri, are better aswell.

Silva in his prime, maybe. He has been gash the last months mind. Nasri, certainly not while at City. Arsenal days, maybe.

You have to keep in mind these players play for the best clubs in the world. Ben arfa has made a name for himself in a mid-table premier league team with very variable quality who has recently performed at a level noone would expect them to.

This can quickly turn into one of them debates other fans will laugh at, but honestly I look at how silva and nasri are playing atm and then I look at how ben arfa gets a ball in our own half then skins 7 players - I genuinly dont think I would have either over him. He is THAT special after a 15 month leg break and in his first 10 matches back he out-accelerates Jose Enrique when he is not dribling him on his ass..?

Silva at his best is brilliant but a different player. In a very different way but for the same reasons, Ben arfa is like Drogba in his prime.

When on-form, he is unplayable. There is nothing you can do about him. He will go past half your team and score, how do you defend against that?

When I sit down to watch a match and see him the pitch, my heart misses a beat. Am I alone here in this? :)

Edited by Lake Bells tits

For the record, he made his name at Lyon and then Marseille. You're going on like we've uncovered a gem when we haven't, we took a chance on a player with abit of a dodgey rep and it looks to have paid off.

Time will tell how great he can be for us. Until then I wont get carried away and say he's better then Silva, Young or Valencia.

For the record, Ben Arfa's parents made his name.

I wouldn't say Valencia is gash compared to HBA. Valencia is a class winger and I think he is reminiscent of Solano in some ways. HBA is more like Maradona on Xanax and propanol instead of the Colombian marching powder and performance enhancers.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

For the record, Ben Arfa's parents made his name.

I wouldn't say Valencia is gash compared to HBA. Valencia is a class winger and I think he is reminiscent of Solano in some ways. HBA is more like Maradona on Xanax and propanol instead of the Colombian marching powder and performance enhancers.

In that case, I'll say it again for you: Valencia is gash compared to HBA. If we're talking purely about potential and raw talent, both Young and Valencia have got nowt on him. In their favour however they are at a club that is virtually guaranteed to get the best out of them, whereas that's not a statement that has historically applied to NUFC. Also he's Gallic, which incrases the risk of him deciding he'd rather just be a twat than a talented footballer at some future point in time.

In a very real sense though, none of them are Raoul Fox, so the whole debate is moot.

We need 3 new defenders in the summer imo. We need a first-choice CB ( Taylor too injury prone), a new LB ( in order to move santon to the right) and a backup for either wing along with Simpson with ass-cheeks firmly sat on the bench. Especially if we reach europe, we need 2-3 competent backup defenders who can proficiently go in and do a job wheneever called on.

Midfield its all about keeping our players imo. Marveaux back, Abeid and Ferguson developing nicely.. If we are to play 4-3-3 with ben arfa in a free role perhaps another winger to offload Jonas and give him some much needed competition...

:lol:

The success we've had with our transfer policy since promotion actually makes the idea of selling some of our core players a little easier for me to take. They won't always get it right but it's nice to have trust in Carr etc to be able to adequately replace departing players. I'd be gutted but I wouldn't panic, unless they sell player/s without having enough time to replace them (a la Carroll last January).

I'd hate to see any of our big players leave.

were you never a Boy Scout :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_Motto

Valencia was shitting on people at Wigan. I remember one goal when he broke clean through with two defenders chasing him down. He was gliding along at high speed like a greased eel shot from a cannon through a drainpipe, he looks round and does a Usain Bolt, thinks he'll give these suckas a glimpse of catching him. So he slows down a touch, as the defenders huff and puff and stretch every sinew trying to catch him. Then, just as they're about to reach him, he fucking accelerates again and smashes it past the keeper, a rocket of a strike. Not only did he score, he fucking demoralised these people and robbed them of their manhood and self-respect: EMASCULATION. So don't fucking sit there and type about him being gash, because he fucking isn't. HBA is that gifted that he has returned from a leg-break and can still beat men like it's nothing. Valencia has returned from TWO leg-breaks. Both his legs smashed to a pulp, but he still whips in crosses like a shit version of Solano, but not as good at free-kicks.

We can agree on one thing, no one in the modern game has matched the level of excellence that Raoul Fox acheived during his time here.

what you are saying is the same as saying that because Sam Allardyce got Bolton into europe, it makes him "good", "great" whatever you want to term it.

I'm saying what I've said for years, that some have said is "rubbish" for years. The club is a selling club, it has changed and is not a progressive club any more. The current good season the first in 5 years, is the same as Bolton had under Allardyce in that the policies of the club are such that they will not attempt to build on it, they will go backwards for the same reasons. Do YOU think the transfer window policy in January ie keep the best players and build with a quality signing or more [especially as there is 25m quid of the carroll money we haven't seen yet so there is no reason to sell anybody] will be continued ?

Do you read anything I say other than believe the deluded nonsense spouted by others, mostly non-matchgoers ? If so, please tell me how else a club can develop from finishing 6th and go higher, and establish themselves as a progressive club ?

The 2 forum clowns won't answer this, they have avoided it on numerous occasions now, which is the essence along with a few other points I've made for years now. It's nothing to do with "being right", its about deluded fools who can't see it because the team have had one good season, the first in 5 years.

I haven't mentioned Bolton at all. Bolton had a completely different strategy to us, and that was to build a team for a season, made up mainly of players loaned from abroad.

We, on the other hand, are buying players who are young or approaching their prime. This has the effect of ensuring that we can either take advantage of the best years of their careers and / or receive decent compensation if the player chooses to leave for a big pay day.

I am capable of forming my own opinions through reasoned logic. Whilst I'll read what other people have to say, I am my own man, and will form my own views. There are sound, reasoned views coming from match-goers as well as those who don't go the games, just as there are bizarre views from both camps. In all honesty it generally doesn't make that much difference whether they go to games or not.

In order to break into the top 4 quickly, we would need to spend at least £200m and consistently pay out ridiculous wages. In other words, we'd need to mortgage the stadium and Mike Ashley would need to write a quarter of his fortune over the next couple of years. Not going to happen.

I want a club which is self-sufficient and able to pass the UEFA Financial Fair Play rules with flying colours. If Ashley pumps in quarter of a billion, we will fail the tests, we won't be allowed to qualify for Europe and the best players will want to go elsewhere.

So our options are:

a) Ashley pumps in silly money so we can rise up the league, but we can't play in Europe as we're a substantially loss making business

B) Ashley oversees a strategy of going after the future stars, building a team which appreciates in value. We may receive huge offers for players, but use this cash to fund the purchase of more players who fit the buying policy.

c) Ashley refuses to sanction the sale of a player who wants to leave, as "we're not a selling club", resulting in unhappy player disrupting the team and negatively affecting team morale.

To me, option B is the only option. It's sensible and will ensure long term growth and long term stability. In the medium term, the best up and coming players will want to come to NUFC as we have a reputation for giving players a superb grounding and introduction to the Premiership. Over time, we'll improve our reputation to the point that we're seen as a better option than many of the clubs that we once sold to.

We need to continually improve, but sometimes it's about taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture. Throwing money at buying players doesn't mean we're going to suddenly become world beaters. We need to be signing players who WANT to play for us. We shouldn't be signing players who are only coming because we're offering more money than Spurs / Liverpool etc. We should be signing players who buy into our approach and strategy. This makes building the squad a more time consuming activity, but it gives us far less chance of buying duds like Guivarch, Luque, Bassedas, Maric, Owen, Boumsong etc.

I'm not totally sure what you want from the club. You bang on about wanting us to be progressive, but by the very defnition of the word we have progressed:

- more points

- more goals

- more clean sheets

- more full internationals

- bigger attendances

- higher league placing

- top players secured on long term deals, so they either stay or we received suitable compensation for them

- club is no longer loss making

- healthy cash balance to fund future developments

- no reliance on bank funding whatsoever

This makes us progressive.

I've mentioned Bolton. Because our aspirations are now similar to that of Bolton, and no amount of short term bullshit is going to change that.

Selling clubs are not progressive clubs, and NUFC are now a selling club, who sell their best players and witthold the cash from their manager, this is going to continue, and is a club who had the 14th biggest revenues in world football.

I'm tired of trying to explain that one good season in 5 years changes nothing, and only deludes foolish people.

How do you think a club can move on from 6th position in the top flight, and do you think the club will carry on the policy of keeping their best players in transfer windows and improving it with good signings, especially with 25m quid of the Carroll money yet to be seen ?

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here, as a new poster, as I've long given up on certain others who know nothing about football.

Meanwhile, I'm pleased you appear to think that it was players like Boumsong, Maric, Gui'varch, Bassedas who shot the club into Champions League football and european football more times in 15 years than everyone else but 4 other clubs, the 5th highest average league position and the 14th biggest revenues in world football and one of the best stadiums in europe. Such cherry picking almost made me laugh at your post, but I've gave you an opportunity to prove you're not so dim as other people.

Edited by LeazesMag