***Official Mike Ashley Euro express thread***

Baggio

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Selling clubs are not progressive clubs, and NUFC are now a selling club, who sell their best players and witthold the cash from their manager, this is going to continue, and is a club who had the 14th biggest revenues in world football.

Spurs are the perfect example of why you're wrong. In order to bridge the gap to the very top sides players need to be sold - for the right price.

I'm tired of trying to explain that one good season in 5 years changes nothing, and only deludes foolish people.

It's not so much the season, but the trend that was established in our Championship season and continues to this day. It cannot be disputed that we are now in a vastly superior position to where we were in 2008/09, with a younger superior squad on lower wages.

How do you think a club can move on from 6th position in the top flight, and do you think the club will carry on the policy of keeping their best players in transfer windows and improving it with good signings, especially with 25m quid of the Carroll money yet to be seen ?

The way to move on is to maintain the core good feeling and playing staff at the side, whilst strengthening the area of weakness and adding depth across the board. Ashley is vastly more cautious with his money now, but apparently will spend money where deemed necessary. It still annoys me that we haven't seen close to all of the Andy Carroll money invested into the side, but on the strength of this season I'm resigned to waiting it out to see what happens. Money will be spent on players who are deemed to be the right options, it's more the departures that are cause for concern.

Meanwhile, I'm pleased you appear to think that it was players like Boumsong, Maric, Gui'varch, Bassedas who shot the club into Champions League football and european football more times in 15 years than everyone else but 4 other clubs, the 5th highest average league position and the 14th biggest revenues in world football and one of the best stadiums in europe. Such cherry picking almost made me laugh at your post, but I've gave you an opportunity to prove you're not so dim as other people.

Unfortunately mate the climate of World football has changed. We were left behind a long time ago now, and it was nothing to do with Ashley. He certainly accellerated things when he took over, but we have hit the bottom and appear to be rising again faster than anyone could have predicted. We can only hope now that the rise is properly managed so we don't push for the sky only to come crashing back down. Sensible, sustainable growth is the answer. Froseeably we have a strong foundation to have our revenue amongst the top 5 or so in the league. If that is established again then it's a solid platform to once again mount an assault on the Champions League positions. as it stands currently there is a certain amount of biding our time required. We have to hope that the owners of Chelsea and Manchester City grow tired of their playthings and move on as it's flat out ludicrous to exxpect us to compete financially with teams that more or less don't care that they're throwing away fistfulls of dollars by the second.

Good example above re Spurs. If they hadn't sold Berbatov, Carrick and Keane for what, c£70m then they wouldn't be anywhere near where they are now. Their policy was buy young, progressive players and now they've reinvested it and are likely to get CL football again.

I hope we don't sell our best players but if the money is reinvested properly (like it seems to have been so far) then i'd take it on the chin if we progressed

leazes is clearly seething that the team are doing well. For a self proclaimed matchgoer he probably sat arms folded when we scored on Sunday in fear of his argument being proved as rubbish!

The Liverpool approach of spending money like it's burning a hole in your pocket is where success lies. Anyone who thinks that champions league bound Spurs have the right idea is talking rubbish.

UEFA Champions League

The top four teams in the Barclays Premier League qualify for the UEFA Champions League.

English winners of the UEFA Champions League finishing outside the top four places (but who qualify for the UEFA Europa League through their domestic Barclays Premier League position) go forward as Winners to the group stage along with domestic champions, runners-up and third place.

No extra domestic place can be gained by winning the UEFA Champions League, therefore the team finishing fourth drops to the UEFA Europa League.

English winners of the UEFA Champions League who do not qualify through their domestic position go forward as Winners to the group stage, with the team finishing fourth dropping to the UEFA Europa League. In this case, the national association of the title-holder is entitled to one additional place in the UEFA Europa League.

UEFA Europa League

There are three places in the UEFA Europa League available: the FA Cup winners will enter at the Group Stage; the fifth place team in the Barclays Premier League will enter at the Play-Off stage; and the Football League Cup winners will enter at the Q3 stage.

In the event the FA Cup winners are qualified for the UEFA Champions League the FA Cup runners-up will qualify, but in the place reserved for the lowest ranking Barclays Premier League representative. The place with direct access to the Group Stage will be given to the club that finishes in the highest position in the Barclays Premier League of the clubs qualifying for the UEFA Europa League.

English winners of the UEFA Europa League will enter at the Group Stage, gaining an extra domestic place only if they fail to qualify through other means for the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League. If the holders of the UEFA Europa League have already qualified for Europe, no extra domestic place will be gained.

Should the FA Cup winners, runners-up (if applicable) and the Football League Cup winners already have qualified for Europe, their place goes to the next best placed clubs in the Premier League.

Fair Play winners enter at the Qualifying round 1 stage.

This place will automatically go the three best-placed national associations in the UEFA Respect fair play rankings provided they achieve an average of 8.0 points or more. The top three associations will then be entitled to enter the club that has either won their domestic top-division fair play competition, or if they are already qualified, the runners-up and so forth.

http://www.premierle...play-in-europe/

That didn't answer my question. That states that if the winners have already qualified for the Champions league then the runners up get the place. Wikipedia says that if the winners have qualified for the Europa league then 6th place gets it instead.

As well as being presented with the trophy, the winning team also qualifies for the UEFA Europa League  (formerly named the UEFA Cup). If the winners have already qualified for the UEFA Champions League via the Premier League, the UEFA Europa League place goes to the FA Cup runners-up.[6]  If the winners have also qualified for the Europa League through finishing fifth in the Premier League, the FA Cup runners-up do not qualify, with the sixth placed team in the league receiving the Europa League place.[6]

So we don't even need to worry about Everton beating Liverpool then?

It's still better for us if they do, otherwise we need to rely on Tottenham not beating Chelsea.

If it's a Tottenham vs Everton FA Cup final then we're stuffed either way. If Everton win they obviously get Europa League qualification, if Tottenham win Everton will still be qualified as a result of Tottenham qualifying for Champions league (assuming they stay ahead of Chelsea on the league table). In that case we'd be SOOL in 6th place.

I'd prefer Chelsea beat Tottenham and Everton beat Liverpool then lose to Chelsea in the final, but it's a much easier equation for us if Everton lose as we don't have to worry about any other results including the final.

How do you think a club can move on from 6th position in the top flight, and do you think the club will carry on the policy of keeping their best players in transfer windows and improving it with good signings, especially with 25m quid of the Carroll money yet to be seen ?

The way to move on is to maintain the core good feeling and playing staff at the side, whilst strengthening the area of weakness and adding depth across the board. Ashley is vastly more cautious with his money now, but apparently will spend money where deemed necessary. It still annoys me that we haven't seen close to all of the Andy Carroll money invested into the side, but on the strength of this season I'm resigned to waiting it out to see what happens. Money will be spent on players who are deemed to be the right options, it's more the departures that are cause for concern.

Meanwhile, I'm pleased you appear to think that it was players like Boumsong, Maric, Gui'varch, Bassedas who shot the club into Champions League football and european football more times in 15 years than everyone else but 4 other clubs, the 5th highest average league position and the 14th biggest revenues in world football and one of the best stadiums in europe. Such cherry picking almost made me laugh at your post, but I've gave you an opportunity to prove you're not so dim as other people.

Unfortunately mate the climate of World football has changed. We were left behind a long time ago now, and it was nothing to do with Ashley. He certainly accellerated things when he took over, but we have hit the bottom and appear to be rising again faster than anyone could have predicted. We can only hope now that the rise is properly managed so we don't push for the sky only to come crashing back down. Sensible, sustainable growth is the answer. Froseeably we have a strong foundation to have our revenue amongst the top 5 or so in the league. If that is established again then it's a solid platform to once again mount an assault on the Champions League positions. as it stands currently there is a certain amount of biding our time required. We have to hope that the owners of Chelsea and Manchester City grow tired of their playthings and move on as it's flat out ludicrous to exxpect us to compete financially with teams that more or less don't care that they're throwing away fistfulls of dollars by the second.

I stand by my view. The only way to move up is to keep your best players and build, and it is not going to happen. Players will be sold and the money disappear. This is not what Spurs have been doing at all. I have asked 2 posters to bet me that we don't match Spurs [or the old regime, who also backed their managers which Spurs are now copying rather than the other way round] both of which qualified for the Champions League and consolidated that, as they also spouted this "we are doing it like Spurs" bollocks. True to form, neither of them replied and have avoided the topic altogether since.

The mindset of the club is in place, it is what I have said for years. They want a premiership club to promote the Sports Company at the minimum expenditure possible, if they don't make a profit they will sell a player to do it which is an easier profit than speculating on trying to reach the Champions League etc and the money in that way. This season has been very good for a club with such minimal aspirations, once in a while a club with these aspirations comes along and performs like this, but it doesn't last for ALL the reasons I've stated for many years.

The 2 forum clowns have disagreed with this for years, saying it is "rubbish" and ignored these points when I asked them to explain what is "rubbish" resorting to childish responses instead and me being put in the sin bin for trying to have a mature debate about it, but as time goes by and we witness players sold, cheaper replacements brought in, money disappearing, the tacky advertising all over the stadium and the roof, the renaming of the stadium, it is becoming ever obvious, only the season which has gone way better than most of us thought, and the owner and his sidekick, it is blinding people to the obvious.

I'm not explaining this any more.

Edited by LeazesMag

Good example above re Spurs. If they hadn't sold Berbatov, Carrick and Keane for what, c£70m then they wouldn't be anywhere near where they are now. Their policy was buy young, progressive players and now they've reinvested it and are likely to get CL football again.

I hope we don't sell our best players but if the money is reinvested properly (like it seems to have been so far) then i'd take it on the chin if we progressed

leazes is clearly seething that the team are doing well. For a self proclaimed matchgoer he probably sat arms folded when we scored on Sunday in fear of his argument being proved as rubbish!

I hope Fish is watching this, he doesn't like people who make claims which are made up etc. Oh wait a moment............

:lol:

Such childish comments only bring the forum down and ruin it for others.

If Liverpool win the FA Cup Semi Final, I'll see you at the european games, but those with 1350 reasons for wanting them get first priority for tickets :lol:

Edited by LeazesMag

Please stick to your word re the last line.

is it finally getting there ?

No, I think you are a sad old bastard more interested in trying to win 5 year old Internet arguments than you are in some of the great things that have happened at the club over the same period.

I'm interested in the last match and the next match and how the the team is playing and how individuals are progressing. You discuss none of these things and instead waste your time trying to win an argument with people you think little of.

You should retire.

The mindset of the club is in place, it is what I have said for years. They want a premiership club to promote the Sports Company at the minimum expenditure possible, if they don't make a profit they will sell a player to do it which is an easier profit than speculating on trying to reach the Champions League etc and the money in that way. This season has been very good for a club with such minimal aspirations, once in a while a club with these aspirations comes along and performs like this, but it doesn't last for ALL the reasons I've stated for many years.

If that was indeed the case then why did they purchase Papiss Cisse for 9M pounds?

That turned out to be the most expensive piece of business by an English club in that window, and we were in no danger of being relegated at the time.

There's a strong element of cross promotion involved, but apart from the visual eyesore I don't think it has a large bearing on the footballing operations.

If that was indeed the case then why did they purchase Papiss Cisse for 9M pounds?

That turned out to be the most expensive piece of business by an English club in that window, and we were in no danger of being relegated at the time.

There's a strong element of cross promotion involved, but apart from the visual eyesore I don't think it has a large bearing on the footballing operations.

so where is the other 25m quid ?

After the first transfer window in 5 years where we bought a decent player and sold nobody, lets see what happens in the summer and see if we see the rest of that cash and nobody is sold, to reinforce your utter delusion.

ps Bolton also bought Anelka for 8m quid when they were [temporarily] in the UEFA Cup.

pps. I don't care about the advertising either, if the team is doing well and the owner backs his managers, but it DOES emphasise the points I've made that the 2 forum clowns have said are "rubbish".

Edited by LeazesMag

Please stick to your word re the last line.

is it finally getting there ?

No, I think you are a sad old bastard more interested in trying to win 5 year old Internet arguments than you are in some of the great things that have happened at the club over the same period.

I'm interested in the last match and the next match and how the the team is playing and how individuals are progressing. You discuss none of these things and instead waste your time trying to win an argument with people you think little of.

You should retire.

I think you're a deluded fool, who has only been supporting the club for 5 minutes hence your naivety, but never mind.

And I'm already retired thank you.

Edited by LeazesMag

I honestly think Mike has found his love for fotball again, enough to rectify weak positions at least. as such I have no problems atm.

Europe looks very likely now, I am already getting my passport out :)

Gonna be mint like, european nights, fit eastern europe birds, cheap beer. Just need to burn my Barton shirt and get a Ben Arfa one.. :)

LeazesMag - you are like a stuck record, going over the same bizarre points over and over again. I don't think I've heard anyone liken our strategy and mindset to bliddy Bolton Wanderers. You're either a visionary genius who sees things that others are incapable of, or a deluded, opinionated, attention-seeking fool. I know which option I'd put my money on.

There is plenty of sensible discussion on here and in real life that serves as a better use of my time, so, with regret, I will not be responding to or reading any more of your posts.