***Official Mike Ashley Euro express thread***

Baggio

agreed, I think its very much a matter of what pops up for a bargain fee. Otherwise, why not present the plan with Cissè, Santon, Cabaye and Ba to Enrique as a timeframe and sell him on the vision.

Shame really, I really really regret that enrique left and for such a petty fee. With him instead of raylor/simpson I think you could safely swap positions with us and arsenal/tottenham, we would easily have had another 5-6 points or more with him onboard.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed, I think its very much a matter of what pops up for a bargain fee. Otherwise, why not present the plan with Cissè, Santon, Cabaye and Ba to Enrique as a timeframe and sell him on the vision.

Shame really, I really really regret that enrique left and for such a petty fee. With him instead of raylor/simpson I think you could safely swap positions with us and arsenal/tottenham, we would easily have had another 5-6 points or more with him onboard.

It's nowt to do with bargain fees it whether a recruit's price fits with the operating model and he won't budge from that.

Given the first choice defence performed better than any defence we've had for donkey's years at the start of the season, the argument it would have been even better with Enrique is not cut and dried. Obviously I'd have liked to keep him personally but he held all the cards and his contractual position drove the fee.

Everyone here can acknowledge the bad things that the club have done, but is seems that you LeazesMag can't acknowledge any positive moves that are made.

Noone wanted Enrique to go, everyone would love him to still be here.

I too am of the opinion that they should have been more proactive in using the Carroll money to improve the squad. What I think we have to be realistic about is the way in which Ashley does business - on his terms. He always wants a bargain, or to know undoubtedly that the signing is required. It's not optimal, but Pardew would have to have earnt some respect and therefore influence so hopefully he can get a few vital signings across the line.

It's far from black and white (no pining intended) there's plenty of grey out there as well.

I don't really think everyone acknowledges "the bad things" at all, I think some people are just completely deluded.

I am the most positive minded person you could go to a match with, because I am not blind to where improvements should be and how to improve the club and what it ought to do, and I am aware of the size of the club and the ambitions it ought to hold, unlike what appears to be the vast majority of other posters.

Enrique went for a reason, and this season or on Sunday, it may seem he is incorrect but in the longer term, as things stand, there is only one progressive club and he is currently playing for that more progressive club, with a Cup Winners medal already on his mantelpiece, and another semi final coming up, and already qualified for europe, in return for their outlay as some people are keen to point out has been "wasted" :lol:

Mark Lawrenson gets some flak on here, but on Sunday night, he said what all Newcastle supporters ought to know or be aware of, which is that Mike Ashley may think he can carry on selling players and have a season like this. He can't, and he won't. And the bigger picture is that it will prove he doesn't see the build and improve policy and isn't really interested in following it, when he can sell a player if they don't make a profit, however small. Does Mark Lawrenson have more awareness of the true situation at NUFC than many of the clubs supporters ? Maybe he is echoing the thoughts of his co-presenter Shearer ? Maybe Shearer ought to be telling us this rather than Lawrenson ?

If supporters ARE aware of this and concede the policy, I don't for the life of me see how or why anybody can defend it. In my mind, that is not positive at all, its as negative as you can be.

Edited by LeazesMag

So, Cole was sold in Jan 95 and Ferdinand brought in what was it, 6 months later or something? Then we got Ginola. So the fans were up in arms because we sold our top scorer to our main rival and only after 6 months did we maybe start to see the bigger picture?

AC was sold in Jan 11. 6 months later or whatever we brought in Ba (12 months for Cisse). Both out performing AC. So, with that in mind, can you see why some fans are now starting to see the bigger picture?

You're using hindsight, anybody can use hindsight. Certain other posters do it all the time. At the time, they backed their manager, and tried to get Ferdinand and it took 6 months to get him [not 18 and we still haven't seen the money, don't you think that we are not going to see it now and it was never the intention accordingly ?

This is the bigger picture. A progressive club would have bought a centre half in January for starters with a european place on the horizon and cash in the bank waiting to be spent, even a small amount on a short term deal while waiting for the guy they want [which incidentally was done after the sale of Cole ie Kitson].

And we still haven't replaced Enrique btw.

18 months? We got Ba after 5 months and Cisse after 12? The club said they tried to sign others but failed so waited for Cisse who they wanted. Bit like KK waited to sign Ferdinand. For the LB I kind of agree. Im not sure what the intention of Santon was. I think he is a RB but can play LB but could be a shrewd investment, but does need time. But dont forget that Enrique wanted to leave, our hand was forced. He wouldnt even discuss a contract. But we have chased Pieters for ages now and it may be that we are finally getting the man the manager wants. I also dont understand your "not seen the money" comment? Do you mean we havent spent the money from AC? or that we havent spent all of it? I think from previous threads its shown that is pretty much all done but again we need to agree to disagree on this bit. The short term investment I assumed was Ba while they tried to sign Miaga or whatever he was called.

Liverpool are going backwards at a rate of knots ffs. They are only progressive in the sense that they are getting progressively worse. It is glaringly obvious that they are a club in decline and yet you keep pointing going look at Liverpool, they know what they're doing.

In that Talksport interview yesterday AP said how we'd EVOLVED during the season.

I think that's a pretty good word to apply to Ashley too .

He's nobody's fool by anyone's stretch of the imagination, and as has been said, his type are stoically driven . I'm now pretty much resigned to the shit that comes with him and I now quietly admire some of his achievements .

That's not to say I like the 'bloke' and can't help thinking Derek the worm is still the fly in the ointment regarding some of the provocative decisions . I'll never credit him with anything .

In that Talksport interview yesterday AP said how we'd EVOLVED during the season.

:lol:

Living up to the Alan Partridge namesake there.

We EVOLVE but we don't REVOLVE. Lovely turn of phrase.

So, Cole was sold in Jan 95 and Ferdinand brought in what was it, 6 months later or something? Then we got Ginola. So the fans were up in arms because we sold our top scorer to our main rival and only after 6 months did we maybe start to see the bigger picture?

AC was sold in Jan 11. 6 months later or whatever we brought in Ba (12 months for Cisse). Both out performing AC. So, with that in mind, can you see why some fans are now starting to see the bigger picture?

You're using hindsight, anybody can use hindsight. Certain other posters do it all the time. At the time, they backed their manager, and tried to get Ferdinand and it took 6 months to get him [not 18 and we still haven't seen the money, don't you think that we are not going to see it now and it was never the intention accordingly ?

This is the bigger picture. A progressive club would have bought a centre half in January for starters with a european place on the horizon and cash in the bank waiting to be spent, even a small amount on a short term deal while waiting for the guy they want [which incidentally was done after the sale of Cole ie Kitson].

This 'rubbish' you keep going on about? You've just added to it with that claptrap.

So you're saying this:

If FFS sell a player and don't replace him until 6 months down the line, that's ok because they waited for their man.

If Mike Ashley doesn't buy a defender in january, that's not ok because we're not a progressive club anymore. We've also replaced Carroll with Ba & Cisse, with money left over to buy a centre back in the summer.

So if we sign a new CB in the summer, will you admit to being hopelessly wrong on this one?

Liverpool are going backwards at a rate of knots ffs. They are only progressive in the sense that they are getting progressively worse. It is glaringly obvious that they are a club in decline and yet you keep pointing going look at Liverpool, they know what they're doing.

Which proves that despite the denials, his only real "solution" is to spend millions.

Of course the irony of demanding the owner spends his money is breathtaking.

So if we sign a new CB in the summer, will you admit to being hopelessly wrong on this one?

No, he won't.

No, he won't.

do you mean if we use the rest of the Carroll money to strengthen the team without selling any of our major players ?

Don't prejudge me, but do you EXPECT the above to happen ?

Edited by LeazesMag

No, he won't.

do you mean if we use the rest of the Carroll money to strengthen the team without selling any of our major players ?

It would be foolish to expect anything under Mike Ashley IMO.

This 'rubbish' you keep going on about? You've just added to it with that claptrap.

So you're saying this:

If FFS sell a player and don't replace him until 6 months down the line, that's ok because they waited for their man.

If Mike Ashley doesn't buy a defender in january, that's not ok because we're not a progressive club anymore. We've also replaced Carroll with Ba & Cisse, with money left over to buy a centre back in the summer.

if we don't sign players without selling, and if we don't match Spurs in the forseeable future, will YOU admit to being hopelessly wrong, as 5 years clearly isn't enough time for you to see what is right in front of you ?

No, he won't.

It would be foolish to expect anything under Mike Ashley IMO.

well, don't prejudge me then. I'm telling you what direction the club is taking, and it's obvious.

A changing picture is what has occurred over 5 years. He came in a wave of spunked money, then the world changed and we got relegated.

If a man like him did not adapt and change his approach he would not be at the top of his industry.

To suggest he's played the same strategy for 5 years is totally barking.

A changing picture is what has occurred over 5 years. He came in a wave of spunked money, then the world changed and we got relegated.

If a man like him did not adapt and change his approach he would not be at the top of his industry.

To suggest he's played the same strategy for 5 years is totally barking.

As further evidence we've had at least a couple of five year strategies in his time :P

LeazesMag - Do you acknoweldge that we have improved as a side from last season to this one?

Guest CabayeAye

Right, Leazes. Answer me this with either an "A" or a "B", nothing else.

Completely ignoring transfer fees, who would you rather have wearing the number 9 shirt right now assuming we could do a free swap?

A - Andy Carroll

B - Papiss Demba Cissé

in view of everything I've tried to explain, this is a pointless question which only proves you haven't tried to understand a single word. Why not have both ?

And who would you rather have at left back, Jose Enrique or Jonas Guittierez ?

JUST ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION!!!!!!!!

the front three of Cisse, Ba and Ben Arfa is the most exciting since SBR's days of Shearer, Bellamy and Robert

Agreed.

Right, Leazes. Answer me this with either an "A" or a "B", nothing else.

Completely ignoring transfer fees, who would you rather have wearing the number 9 shirt right now assuming we could do a free swap?

A - Andy Carroll

B - Papiss Demba Cissé

in view of everything I've tried to explain, this is a pointless question which only proves you haven't tried to understand a single word. Why not have both ?

And who would you rather have at left back, Jose Enrique or Jonas Guittierez ?

JUST ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION!!!!!!!!

I will.

B. By a fucking mile.

Only down side is we need someone in to cover in the next ACN. I could take losing Ba or Cisse, but not both.