Holocaust Memorial Day

Gene_Clark

I find your logic on these things strange Gene, you want to commemorate Holocaust Day (quite rightly) yet refuse to do the same thing for the very people who stopped the atrocity in the first place. Many of those commemorated with poppies will have died in Poland etc fighting their way towards the likes of Auschwitz.

If the concern was genuine as opposed to a mere catalyst for argument the word 'poppy' needn't have been brought into the debate at all but no it was there to spark a grief war.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it fair to say all this "Holocaust Memorial Day" is bullshit. The reason the poppy day is so successful is that it commemorates all wars since 1914, not just WW1/WW2. The Holocaust is the worst genocide ever, but since there seems to be remembrance of it all the time maybe the best option is to have like a "Genocide Remembrance Day". One day to remember all the genocides, from Armenia (unless you're Turkish... i've never met a Turkish person who believes it happens, they seem to blame Western Europe for them killing Armenians :lol:), Herero, Japanese in China, Rwanda, Holocaust to what's happened in Russia and China etc it'd be heaps more poignant. The Holocaust was despicable, but as someone said earlier there's an almost year-long remembrance of it, and having one day to remember all the Genocides ever would be a brilliant idea.

How about a death remembrance day, where we commemorate everyone who has ever died ever. Lets do that. ;)

Edited by JonTheMag

Is it fair to say all this "Holocaust Memorial Day" is bullshit. The reason the poppy day is so successful is that it commemorates all wars since 1914, not just WW1/WW2. The Holocaust is the worst genocide ever, but since there seems to be remembrance of it all the time maybe the best option is to have like a "Genocide Remembrance Day". One day to remember all the genocides, from Armenia (unless you're Turkish... i've never met a Turkish person who believes it happens, they seem to blame Western Europe for them killing Armenians :lol:), Herero, Japanese in China, Rwanda, Holocaust to what's happened in Russia and China etc it'd be heaps more poignant. The Holocaust was despicable, but as someone said earlier there's an almost year-long remembrance of it, and having one day to remember all the Genocides ever would be a brilliant idea.

How about a death remembrance day, where we commemorate everyone who has ever died ever. Lets do that. ;)

Cold and flu remembrance day would go down a bomb tbh

Cold and flu remembrance day would go down a bomb tbh

Let us never forget that day when I had the sniffles and didn't get out of bed until noon.

I find your logic on these things strange Gene, you want to commemorate Holocaust Day (quite rightly) yet refuse to do the same thing for the very people who stopped the atrocity in the first place. Many of those commemorated with poppies will have died in Poland etc fighting their way towards the likes of Auschwitz.

If the concern was genuine as opposed to a mere catalyst for argument the word 'poppy' needn't have been brought into the debate at all but no it was there to spark a grief war.

sport-are-troops.jpg

sport-are-troops.jpg

"Sport are troop's"? Fuck education, never mind Al Qaeda.....

• 2 months later...

Just got back from Krakow, I attended the ceremonies for Holocaust Memorial day in Oswiecim yesterday. There was a series of speeches by various people: a letter from Bronislaw Komorowski, the Polish President; a speech from Pnina Segal--no. A-15515--who was 6 years old when she was forced to Auschwitz; Zvi Rav-Ner, the ambassador of Israel, gave a tub-thumping polemic hinting at the virtues of the nation of Israel. There was a free spread on downstairs and they had sandwiches with caviar and salmon. I got my fill and asked an official where I should sit during the ceremony--she asked if I was from the embassy. Then I spoke to a Polish survivor who was 17 when he was forced to Auschwitz: a woman whose family members had been killed at Auschwitz and Birkenau translated. He told me how he had escaped on foot when prisoners were being transported, and how many of those with him were shot. He also likes English football.

After the speeches there were buses to Birkenau for the next part of the ceremony. I was one of the first on the bus and gave up my seat for a woman as it filled up. I ended up sat on the backseat between two survivors, one of whom (a Dutch Jew) was like Mel Brooks on speed, and ended up giving me chocolate sweets with vodka in them, and teasing a young woman who was accompanying her grandad. I managed to tell him I liked him in my 5 day old Polish. He said I have deep mysterious eyes. It was great to see people who had been prisoners so full of energy and enjoying life in their autumn years.

There were some prayers at the monument in Birkenau, and a large crowd of tourists stood round and took photos while their kids ran around bored shitless. I left for Krakow at that point. I'd visited Auschwitz and Birkenau the previous day. The main thing I felt at Birkenau was the cold--it was -8 degrees. This is not a particularly cold winter for Poland: when prisoners were there temperatures dropped to up to -25 degrees. It's not possible for someone like me to fully comprehend the dehumanising effects of the torture there, as I have never experienced such cold, or been disease-ridden or experienced bad sanitary conditions. You get a glimpse though.

Lol @ Muslim ray guns - honestly, how do morons like the EDL or any other similar pathetic excuse for a political movement expect to be taken seriously when all their supporters that get shown anywhere end up being thick skinheads? Muppets, I'm all for a right of centre group myself but these clowns have no idea about how to go about getting anywhere at all, it's embarrassing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treblinka_extermination_camp

I read this last week, and if you don't like being upset don't read it, the bit where the blokes would go first and the women lined up outside hearing the screams of the dying men, and the women shitting themselves literally is up there with the most horrific things I've ever heard. I know we live in a free country, but anyone supporting nazi's should automatically be jailed in my view, without a doubt the most horrific thing in the history of humanity.

I'd like to go on the trip you did KSA I know a few that have, but I'm sure I'd be effected by it for the rest of my life. Ideally a cracking trip would be to go when Wisla are playing Cracovia in the derby, looked mental on Danny Dyer's show.

It's good to remember, and fair play to Gene for starting the thread, but confusing it with poppy wearing is pathetic.

If anyone is thinking of going, you can get from Krakow to Oswiecim via a 2 hour train that costs £2. If you go early you can get on a set group tour, but I went later and bought a private tour guide for £50. I got lucky in that I hadn't really planned the trip out in great detail, but everything worked out brilliantly. I went down on the 26th alone for a guided tour, and then went to the Memorial Ceremony with an American girl I met at the hostel who was a History major. The memorial ceremony is well worth going to (it's free), and if you are willing to approach people you will get the chance to meet survivors and people who were directly affected by the camps. I had learnt some basic conversational Polish so I was able to strike up conversation with some people. Sitting with two survivors on the backseat of a bus was easily the coolest moment of my life. I've decided to return next year and improve my Polish so I can meet more people while they're still with us.

In terms of it being emotional, I actually found it a life-affirming experience because of the people I met. I'd been reading about the history of the Holocaust and knew of the worst depths of what went on, so my mindset was to absorb as much information as I could about the place. It didn't upset me, I felt some anger. I know the history major wasn't upset by it either. I was chatting to my tour guide and she said most people work there less than a year, and that she was finding it difficult (she'd been there 1.5 years) because of the reaction of a lot of tourists, they often become distressed.