Newcastle v Chelsea Sat 3rd Dec, 12.45pm - Sold out!

ChezGiven

http://www.nufc.co.u...2281670_2532695

United Announce Plans for Speed Tribute

Newcastle United today confirmed the arrangements they have put in place ahead of Saturday's Premier League fixture with Chelsea to pay tribute to Gary Speed.

The official match programme will carry a picture of Gary on the front cover, as well as containing a four-page tribute to the former United midfielder.

Prior to kick-off, a singer will lead the 52,000 capacity crowd in a rendition of the famous Welsh hymn, Bread of Heaven.

Whilst the hymn is sung supporters in the East Stand will be asked to hold up black and white cards which will depict the number 11, the shirt number Gary wore whilst at United. All supporters will be provided with hymn sheets at the turnstiles when they enter the ground in order to join in the singing.

Upon completion of the hymn, a minute's applause will be observed in memory of Gary.

All that plus chants throughout the match should be pretty moving. I'm not going to the game but I'd quite like a copy of that programme.

Am I alone in thinking that is overkill? Im all for a minutes silence, holding up his number, chanting his name etc. It's seems a bit contrived to get a singer in to sing a Welsh hymn though. Especially as it will all be on TV

reckon thats the point though, this will be the first proper televised tribute thats had time to be organised

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure the club will have spoken to his family, or perhaps have a general idea of what he was like because he was a regular starter for 6 years and a lot of people will still be on the staff, a couple in the coaching & playing staff & in addition people like Shearer who they could ask to speak to Speed's father/family,

It's surely no coincidence.

Doesn't have anything to do with Gary or his time at the club though? Was he religious or a fan of hymns?

Guess I would just prefer something a bit more personal to do with his time here

Maybe he just liked that hymn. I'd probably just go with a minute's silence and leave it at that, if it was down to me. However, I think the tributes being talked about are heartfelt and nice gestures towards the man so I don't have any problems with them really.

as for the game

Ive not let myself get carried away with any of our matches this season, think Ive said Id be happy with a draw for every one actually

and while I would be happy with a draw ( ;) ) I reckon we've a really good chance for 3 points, I really want us to win, liverpool aside chelsea have more individual players I despise than any other team

Doesn't have anything to do with Gary or his time at the club though? Was he religious or a fan of hymns?

Guess I would just prefer something a bit more personal to do with his time here

He was manager of Wales. Bread of Heaven is basically the unofficial Welsh anthem. The fans on Saturday couldn't sing the official national anthem Land of my Fathers (as it's in Welsh).

Seems like a nice attempt from the club tbh.

He was manager of Wales. Bread of Heaven is basically the unofficial Welsh anthem. The fans on Saturday couldn't sing the official national anthem Land of my Fathers (as it's in Welsh).

Seems like an attempt from J69 to have a point of view when he hasn't got one for me. I think Bread of Heaven is the perfect gesture. He was a proud Welshman, and it'll bring emotions to the fore.

Trite of me to say it I know, but the absolute best tribute would be the team going out and busting a gut for the win for 90 minutes, in keeping with the way Gary played for over 20 years. Dedicate the performance to him at the end. That's what I'm hoping for most.

Seems like an attempt from J69 to have a point of view when he hasn't got one for me. I think Bread of Heaven is the perfect gesture. He was a proud Welshman, and it'll bring emotions to the fore.

I was waiting for your dig.

God forbid I should have an opinion on something. There seems to be some unwritten rule that because we are talking about someone's death we must not question anything, ever.

I didnt realise it was that popular in Wales so that probably explains it.

God forbid I should have an opinion on something. There seems to be some unwritten rule that because we are talking about someone's death we must not question anything, ever.

You never seen Wales at home in the rugby? All these big 18st ginger people get up and sing it like they mean it. Quite moving really, the Welsh might be shite at most things but they sing better than we do.

You never seen Wales at home in the rugby? All these big 18st ginger people get up and sing it like they mean it. Quite moving really, the Welsh might be shite at most things but they sing better than we do.

Rarely watch England at union, and never watch Wales. Prefer League if I have to watch it

Seems like an attempt from J69 to have a point of view when he hasn't got one for me.

:lol:

You are the worst culprit for encouraging him. He genuinely thinks he is the voice of the fans cos he was on the radio once and then got a mention in the daily star! I'm just waiting for him to turn up outside the ground on SSN when Tiote gets flogged in January!

Whey howay man, what fucks you off is he goes head-to-head with you all the time but while you're desperately trying to take the moral highground, he's better liked because he's funnier, more knowledgeable and more down to earth. Not diffcult, admittedly.