Mike Ashley approval rating

Happy Face

Mike Ashley approval ratings  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do believe your hearts in the right place and you care for the club, but I wouldn't say judging a players ability is your strong point. It's not really a question of whether or not he's good, of course he's fucking good, he's superb going forward and would've been a major asset for the whole football club, you're not first choice for a better country than England if you're not good. Danny Simpson can't get a sniff of the England squad and our right backs aren't even that good.

The point wasnt if he's good, it was if he's as good as you are trying to make out. Sure he had a few decent runs in Euro 2012 but I dont recall superb defending or him being stand out in their other games. I also dont recall him getting much a mention by anyone on here prior to our interest becoming known.

Its also reasonable the way we are now run to have a limit on how much you are willing to pay for a player who is only to going to drop in value. You have said that you would pay 10 mill but it is easier to say than do when you are not controlling the thing. Its like the punter who always thinks he can run the local pub better than the landlord.

We would all love Geordie Arabs splurting cash everywhere but that just isnt the real world. The system we now have in place is hailed by most in football as excellent. We cant be happy with it one year then bemoan it the next, especially when we dont know the full facts of what's going on behind the scenes.

The progress this club is making over the last few years on and off the pitch has been excellent and more importantly financially viable. Seems fickle to have such an outcry over a couple of deals not coming off, particularly when other deals on quality players did go through.

Ashley wont pay more than 5mill for a 27 year old full back, thats how he runs the ship. If you dont agree with that fair enough, but its the same policy that went back in for Cisse at 10 in January after we baulked at what we were quoted for him last summer. If the deal is right, we'll do business. Honestly, Ashley was being praised from the rooftops for this policy on here when it worked last summer and in January. It hasn't worked this summer, but its still the same policy. We can't have it both ways tbh, we may have to be patient. I never thought we'd pay 10mill for aplayer while Ashley owned the club. He's shown that he will, but the deal has to be right. For me, thats where we are. Patience may be in order. But, as I said yesterday, if we're lower bottom half and out of Europe at Christmas its this window that will (rightly, in some ways) be to blame, and Ashley will know that himself too. Gambler. To his marrow.

Ashley wont pay more than 5mill for a 27 year old full back, thats how he runs the ship. If you dont agree with that fair enough, but its the same policy that went back in for Cisse at 10 in January after we baulked at what we were quoted for him last summer. If the deal is right, we'll do business. Honestly, Ashley was being praised from the rooftops for this policy on here when it worked last summer and in January. It hasn't worked this summer, but its still the same policy. We can't have it both ways tbh, we may have to be patient. I never thought we'd pay 10mill for aplayer while Ashley owned the club. He's shown that he will, but the deal has to be right. For me, thats where we are. Patience may be in order. But, as I said yesterday, if we're lower bottom half and out of Europe at Christmas its this window that will (rightly, in some ways) be to blame, and Ashley will know that himself too. Gambler. To his marrow.

Great post.

Pretty much to the point tbf.

This is a tricky one. I can honestly see both sides.

Noted we'd actually made a bid for Ince (4m) in the last window as well and in the chronicle they quote the budget for the last window at £14m, so there will be money in Jan if that is anything to go by.

Edited by Park Life

Total money reinvested is an indicator of what then? Come on, spell it out and do my job for me.

There were several paragraphs around those reinvestment numbers that provided the context.

To repeat, I agree with Stevie (and Simon Bird) about the difference spending a few quid makes to the mindset of fans, players and manager about the direction of the club. All the other clubs around us spent more on new faces, if not to whip up that level excitement at adding to the squad, to at least keep the pitchforks at bay had they not spent the money that came in from massive player sales.

I still agree with Chez last year

I could see the financial side of things during and after relegation were very bad. If we account for those losses, then we can say that at least the Carroll money covered these. Not very exciting but realistic perhaps. Since then we have increased TV revenue, lowered the wage bill and of course have interest free loans. No explanation and no excuses this time. It might seem a bit late from me but i dont think giving them a season after relegation to sort themselves out was too lacking in ambition from me. Now we are back on our feet i cant see any reason not to invest.

I still hope Pardew pulls some magic out of the hat and there are some positives for the team to look at but imo the excuses have gone from legitimate financial worries to without credibility.

http://www.toontasti...100#entry967576

If the Cisse purchase restored their credibility entirely for you, fair enough. As much as I like to drive a hard bargain, if I need certain things and there's not a sale on, I pay the going rate.

HF with the 12 Monkeys counter strike. "It's 1990 when does plague hit?1998. It's 1996 right? No 1996 is the future,we're in 1990...I'm supposed to be in 1996!! :D

Edited by Park Life

If the Cisse purchase restored their credibility entirely for you, fair enough. As much as I like to drive a hard bargain, if I need certain things and there's not a sale on, I pay the going rate.

This is the other side of the coin. They'll be hell on if we're shite up to christmas, and some of it will be justified.

Ashley paid over £10m for a defender less than a year into his ownership. And hasn't on any player since.

But It's not even having it both ways either. It's realising there isn't only 2 options - rock bottom price or astronomical OTT price.

I'm gonna buy the Hunger Games. Deffo gonna happen. I can't wait until next year when it's in the sales. I need to see it now?

No chance I'm going to DVD Source

http://www.dvdsource...&partner=108257

I'm gonna go to Amazon...

http://www.amazon.co...creative=165953

If Amazon are out of stock, I don't need to go back to DVDSource and pay double, I can go to ASDA, and get almost as good a deal, though not quite.

http://direct.asda.c...default,pd.html

EVERYONE except DVDsource might be out of stock right now, so I miss this window of opportunity. No chance I'll pay top whack. But I go back to the cheaper options once there is some stock in.

Not filling a gap is annoying for 1 window but understandable. It's almost 3 years with these 4 fullbacks though. Unacceptable.

Bottom line is we heard the same concerns last summer about a striker and then Cisse arrived in Jan.

Much bigger issue for me is the lack of attack down the left and the lack of creativity in midfield, neither of which would be sorted by the arrival of a right back.

Bottom line is we heard the same concerns last summer about a striker and then Cisse arrived in Jan.

Much bigger issue for me is the lack of attack down the left and the lack of creativity in midfield, neither of which would be sorted by the arrival of a right back.

Santon runs down the left and Hatem IS the most creative player in the league.

Santon runs down the left and Hatem IS the most creative player in the league.

I could run down the left :lol:

Hatem does a lot of "his thing" in the areas that are not dangerous. He did this constantly throughout the first half against villa. We need a three pronged creative attack that can seamlessly switch between wings and midfield creating opportunities for our goalscorers.

We are a one trick pony at the moment.

Hatem does a lot of "his thing" in the areas that are not dangerous. He did this constantly throughout the first half against villa. We need a three pronged creative attack that can seamlessly switch between wings and midfield creating opportunities for our goalscorers.

He's made one goal and scored two in three games. :lol:

I know what you're saying about a breaking midfield but we aren't set up to play like that and under Pards (rightly or wrongly) we never will be. I do like that he has encouraged Hatem to roam.

Pardew Out?

We've no possible way of knowing the answer to that question. It's also about where the player wants to move to btw.

I said in another thread it looked like Lille dug in for more add ons and wouldn't budge from 6.3 minimum and iirc our last offer was 5.5. Perhaps we were relying on Debuchy digging his heels in further but it looks like for whatever reason he didn't. We'll find out in a few months either way.

Promotion, stability, Europe. Aye, unacceptable you massive tart :lol:

All achieved with Captain Coloccini playing 35 games a season year on year.

It's a gamble that's been paying off.

Who knows, he might manage another 35+ and it'll pay off this year too.

Or he might snap a leg and we'll fall apart completely at the back....worse than the occasional 4 and 5 goal demolitions Stevie mentioned.

You mentioned FBs though. Dont think we would fall apart completely without Colo either, i mean we only just beat Spurs without him :lol:

As for the re-investment statistic, its pure nonsense btw. Teams with high performing teams who are happy with their players dont need to re-invest. Teams with players leaving for whatever reason need to replace them. There is no rule that says each year you have to re-invest, there is no rule which says if you stand still you will go backwards, these are just empty words which resonate with the empty headed.

You mentioned FBs though. Dont think we would fall apart completely without Colo either, i mean we only just beat Spurs without him :lol:

As for the re-investment statistic, its pure nonsense btw. Teams with high performing teams who are happy with their players dont need to re-invest. Teams with players leaving for whatever reason need to replace them. There is no rule that says each year you have to re-invest, there is no rule which says if you stand still you will go backwards, these are just empty words which resonate with the empty headed.

Can't find it, must have been a brain fart and meant CBs though. I'm sure you're not suggesting we're better without Colo (beat Spurs) than without (lose to chelsea, draw with Villa). It would be nonsense. Whatever results the team get on certain days doesn't alter the fact we still have the championship standard replacements for Bassong and Beye from back in the day, as back up for the European push as we supposedly move onwards and upwards. We've improved almost everywhere else on the park.

Of course there are no rules on reinvesting. But the fact we have those championship players on our bench rather than reinvesting, while other clubs around us ALL replace what they've lost with enthusiasm is what makes for the disheartening viewpoint of Stevie, Simon Bird, me and many other fans.