The No. 10.

Park Life

No need to stay back, Hatem Ben Arfa told

ALAN Pardew has told Hatem Ben Arfa he will be excused his defensive duties if he keeps playing as well as he did on Saturday.

Newcastle United’s season has been built on disciplined defending, but manager Pardew is willing to excuse his playmaker such responsibilities, providing he produces performances like the one which inspired the Magpies into round four of the FA Cup.

They were the second team out in yesterday evening’s draw and will travel to Brighton and Hove Albion or Wrexham. Non-league football’s last representatives drew 1-1 at Brighton’s new home on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Ben Arfa was scoring only his second goal this season and third in all for the club to equalise against Blackburn Rovers. His all-round performance in the 2-1 win delighted Pardew.

“It’s all about balance,” he insisted. “His work-rate was quite good, it’s just sometimes intensity that’s the difference. It didn’t help in the first half that Mehdi (Abeid) stepped off a little bit and was a little bit too deep and therefore that didn’t help Hatem either. It all sort of combined.

“I was really, pleased with his attitude when he went on to the right (in a tactical reshuffle in the 56th minute). He could have gone, ‘What am I doing out here?’ but he attacked the position. That’s really pleasing.

“I knew if we got the ball to his feet he was going to cause the full-backs a problem. His first sort of introduction that side he impacted the game and put them straight on the back foot. Then we started to dictate.

“Anyone who’s seen us will know collectively we work really, really hard defensively. Gabby Obertan sometimes switches off and Besty (Leon Best), so he (Ben Arfa)’s not alone. That ethic is what we’re about and it has to balance up.

“If he is like he was in the second half on Saturday when he’s affecting the game so much, he doesn’t need to defend.

“At times in the first half he didn’t threaten them, and then we’re losing both sides. But second half, he doesn’t need to defend when he plays like that. His close control is phenomenal.”

Behind closed doors, Pardew and Ben Arfa have had their moments this season. It spilled out in public last week when Ben Arfa called an extraordinary Press conference to vent his frustration at his lack of first-team opportunities and lambast his manager’s style of play. Pardew has been remarkably sanguine about it, and is not looking for a team of obedient robots.

“In a football team you’re never going to get 11 characters who are the same,” he argued. “We have some of our characters for whom the defensive side and being diligent is 90% of their game. For Hatem it’s different. Flair and making things happen is 80% of his game.”

Pardew was in an equally forgiving mood after Jonás Gutiérrez was booked for celebrating his winning goal by donning a Spiderman mask, saying: “He doesn’t get booked for kicking people, so we’ll take that.”

But the Argentinian responded: “Maybe it is the last time I have the mask if it means I will get booked every time.”

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are people willing to admit that HBA is not suited to playing every game for us? The Man U game for example, probably wouldn't have finished in the same result if Shola hadn't started and bullied Jones/Rio for 90mins

I think most sensible people realise he doesnt work for us as a number 10, however I see no reason why he couldnt start every game on the right wing.

Are people willing to admit that HBA is not suited to playing every game for us? The Man U game for example, probably wouldn't have finished in the same result if Shola hadn't started and bullied Jones/Rio for 90mins

What a flawed argument :lol: You can make that fit ANYONE in the starting line-up. If HBA were started on the right wing instead of Ryan Taylor, would we have lost the game then also?

The thing with Shola is that you dont know if Messi or Kuqi turns up that day, 6 days a week it will be Kuqi.

I think most sensible people realise he doesnt work for us as a number 10, however I see no reason why he couldnt start every game on the right wing.

Him not being a winger would be 1 reason

That may be true if the front 2 hadn't played a pivotal part in the win because of their style of play. But they did

Shola deserves credit for that knockdown to Ba, and grafting. But otherwise, its easy to be a hindsight pundit and say it was a stroke of brilliance starting shola. Most of the time it isnt.

He's won league, cup and individual honours playing as a winger in Ligue 1. This has been pointed out numerous times.

That may be true if the front 2 hadn't played a pivotal part in the win because of their style of play. But they did

Shola deserves credit for that knockdown to Ba, and grafting. But otherwise, its easy to be a hindsight pundit and say it was a stroke of brilliance starting shola. Most of the time it isnt.

Starting two big lads up front in that game was definitely essential. Even Ferguson admitted Shola and Ba bullied Rio and Jones. Made them nervous and gave us the edge right from the start.

Did ok from the wing on Saturday ?

I just think he needs to be handed a shirt and told to go out and play fotball. Our obsession with wingers tracking back has a flip side, namely that their fullbacks come rushing forward since our ones are so deep, providing immediate pressure. A winger such as Hatem you would never see that as they would keep minimum one back to contain him, and as we all know he will have absolutely no problems taking that guy to the cleaners 1v1.

Starting two big lads up front in that game was definitely essential. Even Ferguson admitted Shola and Ba bullied Rio and Jones. Made them nervous and gave us the edge right from the start.

Yes but that doesnt necessarily have to have anything to do with Ben Arfa. He could have been started on the wing instead of Ryan Taylor. Additionally, take Ba out of that equation and whether Shola bullies a defender or not is not always gonna make a difference. 80% of the time he couldnt buy a goal.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

Yes but that doesnt necessarily have to have anything to do with Ben Arfa. He could have been started on the wing instead of Ryan Taylor.

I was just responding to your "its easy to be a hindsight pundit and say it was a stroke of brilliance starting shola" statement.

I know, my reply was more of a "as opposed to what" really. Its Shola or Best. He started Shola and he did well, we play with what we have got. A stroke of brilliance? Sure, I guess..

J69 seems to think the fact that Ba and Shola linked up well means there is no room for him. You could make a case for that if Hatem was exclusively a striker/number 10, but he has shown he can be played out wide as well ref. blackburn.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

I know, my reply was more of a "as opposed to what" really. Its Shola or Best. He started Shola and he did well, we play with what we have got. A stroke of brilliance? Sure, I guess..

J69 seems to think the fact that Ba and Shola linked up well means there is no room for him. You could make a case for that if Hatem was exclusively a striker/number 10, but he has shown he can be played out wide as well ref. blackburn.

No, what I think is HBA isn't suited to every game. Not one person on here at 2-0 up against Man U thought we should bring him on.

I really don't think I can handle this whole 'HBA for Obertan' shite that is starting up now cos he did alright against the reserve team of the leagues bottom club for 30 minutes in a cup match. He isn't a winger, he's never been a winger and Fat Sam lost the fans for indulging in similar square pegs in round holes nonsense. It's not Championship manager, you cant just shoe horn a player into a position so he's on the pitch. Danny Simpson does a job when he has support from the RW. Danny Simpson will get ripped to shreds if he has the whole right wing to contend with because HBA is off on a wander.

He is a no. 10 and there's no reason why he cant play there in most games. There will be certain teams where he isn't suited to playing against though.

Well, playing Shola this time worked as he was very good but that doesn't mean he should get ANY CREDIT for playing him over my favourite player who is absolutely not making my arguments irrational and not worth listening to. Ben Arfa would have overhead kicked the flick straight into the top corner.

How many people commenting on his performance rather than his goal actually saw the game? [/rhetorical question]

Don't know what impression the radio gave of his contribution, but I tweeted from the game just before his goal that he looked totally disinterested in playing on the right.

Having seen the full 90, whenever he got the ball he was a proper Ketsbaia with skills. Head down and go for it. He got disposessed over and over again all day long, having beaten a few men with pure class......and it must piss off his team-mates who are making runs...but then it paid off big style. His insistence on doing it all himself might be a desire to make a starting place his own, but it will piss off team mates and coaching staff.

I just wanted to get Glen Foy to give him the Santiago Munez training, to paraphrase "the ball is faster than you pal, pass it".

He isn't a winger, he's never been a winger.

You ought to revisit Hatems background a bit, prior to him coming here, to say the least.

Happy to be corrected as my knowledge of French football is worse than CT, but from what I've read he's only ever played on the outside of a 3 man midfield/attack, never 4 or 5 as an out and out winger.

Have you seen him do that?

Edited by Happy Face