The No. 10.

Park Life

He isn't a winger, he's never been a winger.

You ought to revisit Hatems background a bit, prior to him coming here, to say the least.

Happy to be corrected as my knowledge of French football is worse than CT, but from what I've read he's only ever played on the outside of a 3 man midfield/attack, never 4 or 5 as an out and out winger.

Have you seen him do that?

No I havent. Everywhere I have read about him he has been quoted as a winger though. If what you are saying is true, does that make him more of a number 10 or more of a winger though?

Saying he has never been one and will never be one is a bit of a stretch in either case.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think he could play wide right or left tbh. Especially if Cabaye and Tiote are in the middle. That way he's also out of the cut and thrust of the middle of the park. Similar to how Barton benefited from playing out wide last season. I.e. having a bit more time and space. If we could carry Nolan in a central position in a 4-4-2 last season than I think Ben Arfa could play out wide in one with the two I mention in the engine room. That's if Tiote ever plays for us again of course ;)

I still think our best XI would be with him playing behind Ba though.

How many people commenting on his performance rather than his goal actually saw the game? [/rhetorical question]

Don't know what impression the radio gave of his contribution, but I tweeted from the game just before his goal that he looked totally disinterested in playing on the right.

Having seen the full 90, whenever he got the ball he was a proper Ketsbaia with skills. Head down and go for it. He got disposessed over and over again all day long, having beaten a few men with pure class......and it must piss off his team-mates who are making runs...but then it paid off big style. His insistence on doing it all himself might be a desire to make a starting place his own, but it will piss off team mates and coaching staff.

I just wanted to get Glen Foy to give him the Santiago Munez training, to paraphrase "the ball is faster than you pal, pass it".

Im one of those in favor of dropping Obertan for HBA, but you have a very valid point, I've noticed it as well. Not the Blackburn game, didn't see that, but generally when he has played this season he's been a bit too selfish. Needs to cut it out a bit because our relative success this season has been based on teamwork and good spirit. I do think he'll get it once he gets a few starts under his belt and gets used to the team and style of play though.

I think its due to trying too hard which it turn is because he is not given playing time. Vicious circle sort of. Im sure whenever he gets 90 minutes he will be less greedy on the ball.

Ronaldo was a bit like this when he first arrived at Old Toilet wasnt he?

I think its due to trying too hard which it turn is because he is not given playing time. Vicious circle sort of. Im sure whenever he gets 90 minutes he will be less greedy on the ball.

He got 90 minutes on Saturday.

This is what's so perplexing about the HBA fanboy. Still complaining he doesn't get 90 minutes after he got 90 minutes.

Only happy when it rains tbh

He got 90 minutes on Saturday.

This is what's so perplexing about the HBA fanboy. Still complaining he doesn't get 90 minutes after he got 90 minutes.

Only happy when it rains tbh

90 minutes for the first time in 1,5 years, yes. And whos complaining? I cant see anyone.

He is starved and hungry and it shows.

A few players actually wanting the ball in this team wouldnt be the worst scenario tbh, as opposed to simpson who looks like he has been handed riot loot in the middle of the street whenever he gets the ball.

Quite often we find ourselves at 40 yards out and running out of creativity, thats where ben arfa comes in.

A few players actually wanting the ball in this team wouldnt be the worst scenario tbh, as opposed to simpson who looks like he has been handed riot loot in the middle of the street whenever he gets the ball.

Quite often we find ourselves at 40 yards out and running out of creativity, thats where ben arfa comes in.

LBT, I want you to really consider this; Do you honestly think we'd be higher in the league of further in the cups if we'd been playing HBA alongside Ba?

If you do, you are less a "football fan" and more a footballer fan in my opinion.

LBT, I want you to really consider this; Do you honestly think we'd be higher in the league of further in the cups if we'd been playing HBA alongside Ba?

If you do, you are less a "football fan" and more a footballer fan in my opinion.

Im not that bothered where on the pitch he plays tbh, as Im not qualified to make that decision. All I want is for him to be handed a shirt and told to go out there and play fotball.

I do believe that had he been played more, preferable at the expense of Obertan but more in any case - we would be higher in the league. Yes.

HATEM BEN Arfa today revealed how he dreamt of scoring his FA Cup wonder strike during some of his darkest days while hospitalised after his sickening double leg break last season.

The talismanic French ace also confessed that netting with the solo effort that sunk crisis club Blackburn meant he has fulfilled a childhood dream with a goal he felt had all the hallmarks of a playground strike.

Ben Arfa had pleaded with Alan Pardew to give him a chance, and he took it with some aplomb at St James’ Park.

Pardew had also thrown the gauntlet down to the French ace in the absence of Demba Ba. However, after fighting back from a horrific double leg break against Manchester City last season and a shattering ankle problem last July. Ben Arfa told the Chronicle in an emotional interview: “I dreamt of scoring a goal like that during darker times.

“I guess it is everybody’s dream to score a goal like that.

“Those dreams keep you going.

“Even when I was at school and playing with my friends we always tried to score goals like the one against Blackburn.

“I’ve been doing it since I was small.

“I always used to say to friends at school ‘I hope one day I can score a goal like that as a professional’.”

Ben Arfa’s strike was his third Toon goal following his thunderbolt at Everton last term and his knockout strike on Boxing Day against Bolton Wanderers.

But despite also scoring some sensational goals in the colours of Lyon, France and Marseille, the 24-year-old said: “It is my best ever goal.

“But I actually tried to do it a few times in the game before I actually pulled it off.

“I knew I could score that type of goal.

“And it was special to score it in such a big cup competition like this.

“Everybody talks about the FA Cup and I’m so happy that we’ve won and are still in the competition.”

Ben Arfa was also happy to deliver his promise of entertainment following his extensive interview in last Wednesday’s Chronicle.

The Clairefontaine graduate said: “As I say I know I can score those goals when I get the chance.

“I’ve said recently that I am 100% fit.

“It means I can do this type of goal more times in the future.

“Now it is important it is important to build up more confidence to do it more often in the future.” Blackburn defended deeply throughout the FA Cup third-round tie, not least after snatching the lead against the run of play through David Goodwillie.

With the game in need of a magic moment Ben Arfa stepped up to the plate.

He admitted he was more than happy to oblige.

He said: “Sometimes a game needs a moment like that.

“Defences get too tight, and when you run with the ball, you can break defences and put defenders under pressure.

“It can be very important, but I’m very happy – more importantly – that we have won.

“If I had have done that and we lost, then it means nothing.

“To do it and help a win means I couldn’t be happier.

“The goal was for the fans who have stuck by me through injury.”

He isn't a winger, he's never been a winger.

You ought to revisit Hatems background a bit, prior to him coming here, to say the least.

Happy to be corrected as my knowledge of French football is worse than CT, but from what I've read he's only ever played on the outside of a 3 man midfield/attack, never 4 or 5 as an out and out winger.

Have you seen him do that?

When he played wide right he tended to drift inside and switch wings on occasion. His managers will have been happy for him to do that then, but Pardew appears to favour rigidity and discipline. He actually looks more effective cutting in from the right and has scored some spectacular goals (similar to his last one) doing that.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

In that one run, he beat more men that Obertan does in how many games?

...and Obertan has set up a few goals too.

HBA played almost the entire game against Blackburn in the Carling Cup and walked off the pitch after 80 minutes with us 2 nil down and heading out. By the final whistle we'd drawn level and given ourselves a chance. That doesn't mean HBA is crap or that it was his fault, but it means the team can do a job without him that it doesn't always do with him, he's not the be all and end all, the team and the result is.

Im not that bothered where on the pitch he plays tbh, as Im not qualified to make that decision. All I want is for him to be handed a shirt and told to go out there and play fotball.

I do believe that had he been played more, preferable at the expense of Obertan but more in any case - we would be higher in the league. Yes.

Then you're insane in the membrane, insane in the brain. You have to consider the team as a unit and understand that it's not always the case that the best individuals make the best team.Ben Arfa couldn't start the early game as he wasn't fit, then the because the team was performing well it's risky to change the line-up (this also explains Santon's absence), and every man and his dog seems to understand that HBA is a ... what's the word... mercurial talent. He's as like to score a goal like the one against Blackburn as he is spend 90 minutes running down blind alleys, losing us the ball and putting further pressure on our defence in the process.

He's clearly technically gifted, but he's also not exactly going to chase down the balls he loses (nor should he) and until the team is set up in a way that allows him to be free of that responsibility it'll always be a risk to start him.

Like I said, this sounds more like you're a fan of HBA than you are a fan of NUFC. (I'm not trying to SoopahFan you here by the way)

I do understand we are a unit, but there is a balance to be struck between operating as a team as well as given those with extra talent a bit of room to roam. I am of the opinion Pardew is tipping a scale a little bit too much towards the unit and defensive side of the spectrum, but you cant argue with his results and league position.

The argument about our wingers protecting our fullbacks is valid and correct and if we are to play that way we need grafters on both sides. That being said, it is a very defensive approach. For all of Ben Arfas flaws, he is competing with Ryan Taylor, Obertan, Best and Shola. You would think what he has shown should warrant games.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

I do understand we are a unit, but there is a balance to be struck between operating as a team as well as given those with extra talent a bit of room to roam. I am of the opinion Pardew is tipping a scale a little bit too much towards the unit and defensive side of the spectrum, but you cant argue with his results and league position.

The argument about our wingers protecting our fullbacks is valid and correct and if we are to play that way we need grafters on both sides. That being said, it is a very defensive approach. For all of Ben Arfas flaws, he is competing with Ryan Taylor, Obertan, Best and Shola. You would think what he has shown should warrant games.

Wait a minute, I thought you wanted to play 4-3-3? Or have you finally realised that it's not going to work?

Irrespective of formations/systems/flaws to his game etc etc, the other irrefutably good thing about his goal the other day aside from us progressing in the cup is that if he starts again he's in goalscoring form and that's massively important going into our first league game without Ba. Not from a confidence point of view, (because he's not a confidence player, he's an arrogance player and will try the same things whether they're working or he's been dispossessed 10 times in a row), but from the point of view of goals begetting goals. A burst of form in front of goal is exactly what we need in Ba's absence basically.

Irrespective of formations/systems/flaws to his game etc etc, the other irrefutably good thing about his goal the other day aside from us progressing in the cup is that if he starts again he's in goalscoring form and that's massively important going into our first league game without Ba. Not from a confidence point of view, (because he's not a confidence player, he's an arrogance player and will try the same things whether they're working or he's been dispossessed 10 times in a row), but from the point of view of goals begetting goals. A burst of form in front of goal is exactly what we need in Ba's absence basically.

Well yeah, can only be a good thing of course, but at the same time we have to understand that Ben Arfa has never been a prolific goal scorer. One glance at his career stats tells you that.

Very good point.

Wait a minute, I thought you wanted to play 4-3-3? Or have you finally realised that it's not going to work?

Pardew plays a game where the wingers protect the fullbacks. A winger who doesnt do that obviously doesnt fit into that, regardless of his contributions offensively. I`d love a 4-3-3 and we are a fullback away from being able to play that game, but a quick glance at Pardews track record tells me that is never going to happen, so why bother debating that.

Having two toothless wingers dropping deep and weak fullbacks ( santon excluded) makes our right and left flanks very open to the opposing teams fullbacks though, allowing them to play a high line. Maybe someone has a few reflections around that?

Pardew plays a game where the wingers protect the fullbacks. A winger who doesnt do that obviously doesnt fit into that, regardless of his contributions offensively. I`d love a 4-3-3 and we are a fullback away from being able to play that game, but a quick glance at Pardews track record tells me that is never going to happen, so why bother debating that.

Having two toothless wingers dropping deep and weak fullbacks ( santon excluded) makes our right and left flanks very open to the opposing teams fullbacks though, allowing them to play a high line. Maybe someone has a few reflections around that?

Pardew Said........

“If he is like he was in the second half on Saturday when he’s affecting the game so much, he doesn’t need to defend.

“At times in the first half he didn’t threaten them, and then we’re losing both sides. But second half, he doesn’t need to defend when he plays like that. His close control is phenomenal.”

Pardew Said........

“If he is like he was in the second half on Saturday when he’s affecting the game so much, he doesn’t need to defend.

“At times in the first half he didn’t threaten them, and then we’re losing both sides. But second half, he doesn’t need to defend when he plays like that. His close control is phenomenal.”

Yes but is that as a winger or as a number 10? Or regardless of position? Either way it sounds great.