Newcastle Vs Charlton match off !

Jimbo

Newcastle among raft of call-offs

The pitch at the Reebok Stadium is frozen

The festive football programme has been hit by bad weather with three Premiership games called off.

Newcastle's game with Charlton was called off 25 minutes before kick-off due to a frozen pitch, despite the pitch having passed a late inspection.

Bolton's game with Boro was called off after the undersoil heating failed, leaving the centre of the pitch frozen.

Blackburn's pitch was also frozen, while outside of the Premiership 14 other games have been postponed.

Nowt on SSN. In fact they said it was on an hour ago.

71815[/snapback]

It said p-p on the bar along the bottom five minutes ago...

71816[/snapback]

:D Must've missed it then.

Took 'em long enough to call it off like.

According to Radio Newcastle the stadium was fit for use and the pitch could have been cleared and was playable. The problem was 50000+ people descending on the city centre with the current weather/road conditions.

It should have been called off at 5.30 tbh

Hope everyone makes it home safely.

The problem was 50000+ people descending on the city centre with the current weather/road conditions.

71828[/snapback]

I figured that would be the reason given, so it was utterly ridiculous to leave it so late. :D

I got all the way to Newcastle then turned around and came back when I heard it was off.

Scotwood Road was backed up for miles, the roads in Newcastle are alright, especially compared to the ones in Consett!

Right decisoion, but it could have and should have been made much sooner.

I was walking in (because the buses are shite) listening to Radio Newcastle for the 6.30 inspection and I couldn't believe they let it go ahead at that stage. Got to the back of Eldon Square on Percy Street and they called it off. But it was clear about 5 o'clock there was going to be problems because of the snow coming down and accidents and jams all over the place.

Could well have been the right decision, but to tell us while we were in the turnstile queue was ridiculous.

I saw a Charlton fan, about a 40 year old woman in floods of tears. Feel dead sorry for them all.

Talksport are saying that it was the club's safety officer who called it off (personally I thought only the referee or the police had the authority to do so).

If I was a sceptic, taking into account how vocifierous Souness was about the fixture congestion was, I'd be wondering how much influence the team management had on the decision.. :D

Talksport are saying that it was the club's safety officer who called it off (personally I thought only the referee or the police had the authority to do so).

If I was a sceptic, taking into account how vocifierous Souness was about the fixture congestion was, I'd be wondering how much influence the team management had on the decision.. :D

71858[/snapback]

Thats one point of view. On the other hand Charlton are even more shit than us at the moment.

71858[/snapback]

Thats one point of view. On the other hand Charlton are even more shit than us at the moment.

71860[/snapback]

Indeed they are. However, it gives us more chance and time to prepare for the trip to Spurs - something which I presume Mr Souness will be (quietly) happy about...

For once Shepherd was spot on in my opinion:

Shepherd said the way the fixtures were arranged over the busy Christmas period took no account of the problems for supporters.

Newcastle are away to Tottenham on New Year's Eve.

"Why are we playing in London on New Year's Eve when we could be playing Sunderland or Middlesbrough?" asked Shepherd.

"It's ridiculous, we should be playing a local team or even one in Manchester."

The Newcastle chief was also unhappy with the local authority's failure to ensure the roads around the stadium were safe.

"You should ask the highway authorities why the gritting wasn't done earlier," he said.

"We can only control what goes on in the stadium - we can't do anything about the approach roads.

"The roads took a turn for the worse it took me an hour to drive three miles and I didn't see any gritters."

Heads should fucking roll for this debacle! How the fucking hell can they call it off on safety grounds after allowing people to travel to the ground on already icy roads in the first place? The official statement on .cock is a fucking cop out and avoids the main issue; why did it take so fucking long?? No doubt everyone will blame everyone tomorrow. Fucking shambles.

Well i`m glad i never booked into a hotel tonight what a waste of a trip that would have been...

71818[/snapback]

Unfortunately me and wor lass thought we'd travel up on the 27th (a mere 260 miles), stay overnight in a hotel, spend the day looking round Newcastle then see the match in the evening before a lovely 260 mile journey home - great plan that turned out to be! :D

Ah well at least I got a picture of me in a snow blizzard... and I got a nice Toon Ted who's rather cool. :blush:

Well i`m glad i never booked into a hotel tonight what a waste of a trip that would have been...

71818[/snapback]

Unfortunately me and wor lass thought we'd travel up on the 27th (a mere 260 miles), stay overnight in a hotel, spend the day looking round Newcastle then see the match in the evening before a lovely 260 mile journey home - great plan that turned out to be! :D

Ah well at least I got a picture of me in a snow blizzard... and I got a nice Toon Ted who's rather cool. :blush:

71895[/snapback]

Thats the spirit !