Question about name for soft drink in UK

dbsweeney

This is going to seem an odd question, but I'm a book editor adapting a book for an Irish audience.

In Australia, we'd call Coke, lemonade, lemon soda etc. (carbonated sweet fizzy drink) as 'soft drink' or 'cool drink'.

In the USA I think they'd call it 'soda' or 'soda pop'.

What do you guys in the UK (in particular Ireland) call the stuff?

Cheers!

Edited by dbsweeney

I'd say still widely known as pop.

Certainly not in Ireland.

As Ant said, we generally call them by their brand name but 'soft drink' would be a recognised, more formal term. In years gone by a lot of people would have called them minerals but maybe not so much any more.

This is going to seem an odd question, but I'm a book editor adapting a book for an Irish audience.

Cheers!

Large print, no words more than 5 letters long, and end every sentence with " so it is. "

You'll be laughing, so you will.

Za za

I'd say still widely known as pop.

Certainly not in Ireland.

As Ant said, we generally call them by their brand name but 'soft drink' would be a recognised, more formal term. In years gone by a lot of people would have called them minerals but maybe not so much any more.

Having lived all over the UK, 'Pop' is certainly a name given in the North (probably more in the NW than the NE).

More formally (i.e. in establishments that sell it, it's collectively referred to as 'soft drink').

"Pop" is a fizzy soft drink. It's why panda pop is called panda pop. That's not just sold in the north of England.

"Juice" is a non-fizzy soft drink

"soft drink" doesn't go to that level of granularity.

"Mums buy crap pop don't they? eh? 'Rola cola?' What the 'ecks al tharabowt?"

Edited by Happy Face