NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben Arfa didn't play too much last season, we have Marveaux playing more this year. TBH, the fact you're looking for pretty weak things to complain about suggests this is not quite a disaster.

It's the same side that finished 5th, we're in Europe, first XI is still excellent, bolstered by a good player in Anita. What do you actually want? Does money spent = progress to you? Because QPR should put that to bed

Not you, Jonny bbz

Everyone else is strengthening, last years 5th could be this years 10th. The fact that we are in europe is actually an arguement for strengthening, not the opposite.

What I want? I want a new fullback and a CB at the absolute minimum. Williamson was our starting CB for 25 games last season, thats insane. Hes gash.

I dont care if a CB costs 3 mill or 15 mill - I do care about the fact that we have no cover at the back - at all.

Wrap your head around the concept of a player group where certain heavy hitters drag the team into 5th, only to be rewarded with a summer transfer window of buying absolutely fucking nobody despite promises of the opposite.

When it comes to players its all about believing the team is going places. Otherwise whats the point in plying your trade there, fotballers are professional with career ambitions. They want to win things.

Players didnt feel like they could at arsenal so they abandoned ship. Similar thing could easily happen here if the window slams shut with a 3 million net spend.

Hardly an ambition club and lets be honest, there are a few absolute gems in our starting lineup who can play just about anywhere.

These are grown up multi millionaires you are talking about. They are not here to put down routes and become Geordies. They are here because we can help them onto the next level.

The likes of Cabaye and Tiote see us as a stepping stone to one of the really big clubs be it here or abroad. Im sure thats even discussed when we sign them.

We could have signed Debuchy, Douglas and Carroll and it would make not one jot of difference if Man City rang up tomorrow and offered to treble Tiotes wages.

That is modern football.

The idea that players will want different challenges before they've actually started the challenges that finishing 5th brings btw :lol: Have a word.

The idea that players want to build on a 5th season, not stand still while everyone else is bolstering their squads. What an insane proposition ;)

We finished ahead of chelsea, they are long gone - so thats 6th. Tottenham looking better and better, Liverpool have Allen and Sahin in midfield instead of adam and Henderson.

Everton look WAY better than we are atm in every aspect.

The drop to midtable is alot closer than some of you think if we arent proactive.

By January the season could be a goner, too late to react.

This summer will for me always seem like a giant opportunity missed. I expected a quality striker for when ACON calls, a quality winger to challenge Jonas ( marveaux still unproven),

a new CB to challenge/cover Taylor WHEN he gets injured. ideally a fullback or two to both replace simpson and challenge Santon.

A good 2nd choice keeper ( Elliot is a fat mess)

Instead we bought a backup utility midfielder for 6 million.

thats is shocking, it's even more pathetic considering now he's happy to go with what he's got but the other month he wanted 2-3 players :lol:

Aye Alan, our squad with 1 spare striker and williamson as our only other centre back has strength and depth in spades

Aye Ant. Im absolutely fuming. Some on here are actually advocating we are absolutely fine going into a 60 game season without any new proven players to meet the challenge.

Enjoy europe lads, might be a while until next time..

Did Liverpool a power of good last year.

Face it mate, two teams where one of them is spending and spending and spending - eventually the spending team will get it right and its sayonara.

You cannot get away with not spending in the long run.

Name me ONE successful team who didnt spend money to get there. ONE ;)

Edited by Lake Bells tits

If we end as we are now, I think we'll still have a good season. After all, according to 'insert Toontastic poster here' we were selling Tiote/Colo etc last season.

Still worried we might lose a player but if we don't and we don't bring anyone in, we'll be alright. Don't agree that everyone around has strengthened either, Everton are light squad wise, Spurs have lost Modric, arsenal have bought 2 strikers yet haven't scored yet, liverpool are are a bit of an unknown. I'd take finishing lower in the league for a proper go at a trophy tbh and I have a feeling that's where our focus will be this season.

My take on it is that you can fast-forward yourself into the top-6 with a few clever signings like we did - but once you are there its a neverending battle concerning bolstering the squad and keep adding talent every year. You cannot put your feet up like we have done this summer. Others here are more confident than I am, but quote me on this:

We can forget about 5th this year - no chance. Top-8 is the best we can hope for with our current squad.

I don't expect us to finish 5th again this season but the situation is the same as it was last season. We still could finish there, just depends on how things go. I reserve the right to offer you that bet back in March next year though.

I don't expect us to finish 5th again this season but the situation is the same as it was last season. We still could finish there, just depends on how things go. I reserve the right to offer you that bet back in March next year though.

situation isnt the same. OTHER teams have strengthered - its inconsequential that we have stood still. Comparably, that still makes us weaker.

If you're going to pretend to be a Geordie you might want to use the non-Wearside variant of 'howay'.

;)

I am a geordie MT. A Geordie in exile!

haway sounds better ;)

Im sure members of this board, and particularily stevie, can offer a bit of leniency as to what constitutes a real geordie.

Geographical whereabouts are of less consequence ( isnt that right mcFaul)

Alan Pardew has refused to rule out a Newcastle move for Andy Carroll

Newcastle United appear poised to continue their game of brinkmanship with Liverpool over Andy Carroll's possible return to Tyneside until the closure of the transfer window on Friday evening.

When Alan Pardew was asked about Carroll on Wedneday the Newcastle manager's answers proved ambiguous. "I've always said it's not really down to me," he said. "Would I want him in my squad? Of course I would. Probably every Premier League manager in the country would want him in their squad. But can the business deal be done? That's nothing to do with me."

Speaking ahead of the second leg of Newcastle's Europa League qualifier against Atromitos of Greece on Thursday, Pardew initially seemed to all but admit defeat in his attempt to re-recruit the striker he sold to Liverpool for £35m in January 2011. Asked if Carroll's arrival was still a possibility he said: "Not as far as I'm aware, no."

A subsequent query relating to the possibility of Newcastle making further offers for the England forward was met by exactly the same response, but when it was suggested that any deal was now dead, Pardew demurred. "I didn't say that," he said.

For the moment, Pardew is concentrating on turning a 1-1 first-leg draw in Athens into the home, and aggregate, win that would propel Newcastle into Friday's draw for the group stages of the Europa League.

"Anybody who knows me and who knows my management would tell you that I'm desperate to win something," said Pardew. "I think I've got a team that potentially can do that. Will we win the Premier League? I think that's probably beyond us with the size of squads that Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea have got. It makes it very, very difficult for us to bridge that gap, unless we get into the Champions League.

"I still think that's our best route to grow as a club. Having said that, a cup win would certainly raise our fans' morale and the club's morale and that's something I'm working on as much as a Champions League position."

Achieving such success would be a much more viable prospect if Pardew could keep his best players while strengthening the squad with signings such as Carroll, Lille's France right-back Mathieu Debuchy and FC Twente's Brazilian centre-half Douglas.

While the latter two long-term transfer targets now look extremely unlikely to end up on Tyneside by 11pm on Friday, Pardew – whose sole first-team signing this summer has been the midfielder Vurnon Anita from Ajax – remains quietly confident of holding on to key players such as Cheik Tiote, Fabricio Coloccini and Yohan Cabaye.

"We're working very hard to keep the great players we've worked very hard to bring to this club," said Pardew. "I'd be 100% happy to go with the squad we've got at the moment, but we're also watching the market. At the moment, though, the targets we have are all very secure at their clubs."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/29/andy-carroll-alan-pardew-newcastle

Debuchy to Real Madrid for 7 Million Euros. Can't see Douglas happening either. This Carrol business is changing everyday, got a feeling Pardew is playing the media a bit or he just doesn't know as Ashley and Lambias are dealing with it.

"Not that I'm aware of no." Isn't no. Amazing how many people see the same thing go on every year and are swayed by sensationalist headlines. I'll quote this post on Saturday.