Whitechapel

jonasjuice

Just been offered a job in Whitechapel, and was wondering, as it looked a bit of a shit tip tbh, if anyone had any experience of what its like or tips on where to live close by instead? My knowledge of it so far is purely monopoly based.

Never lived in London or even spent more than the odd day there but if I take the job its gonna be at least a 3 year thing so I want to move down an get settled. Don't want a long commute as I'm a lazy bastard.

London is really well served by public transport and, depending where in Whitechapel area you're going to be working you've got a few decent options. The thing about London is there a really nice areas and then 100yds down the road it looks like a shit hole. Commuting in London is a piece of piss and it's weird how quickly you'll no longer see a 30 minute tube ride as a ballache, when if someone had said to you that work was 30 minutes on the train you'd wince at the image.

Whitechapel is fairly close to Liverpool St and Aldgate (and more importantly Brick Lane and the decent curry house Bengal Village, Matt and Meenzer can attest to it's quality). That said, you could live anywhere in London and you'd not have a commute that's not too much of a ball ache imo. the places to really avoid are those not served by the tube. So Hackney, and the South East. Balham (south) to Camden Town (north) are within a 30 minute commute.

The easiest way to work out where you want to live is to work what your budget is. If you're going to be on a decent monthly wage there are loads of areas offering something different. If you aren't going to be earning a lot, your options rapidly diminish (obviously).

I used to share a house in East London (Leyton) and was spending about £450 a month on rent and bills, I'm now spending around £650 for the same but it's a much nicer area in South West London (Clapham). Mind you, I think you'd be lucky to get somewhere decent for less than £500 a month rent and bills these days. Also, the best way to keep bills down is to share them with others, (heating a house for one isn't proportionately more expensive than heating a house for one etc).

sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

Yeah Whitechapel is a shithole, but it's well connected. Where you live is totally governed by your rental budget- you could easily live up in Highbury and get the train down from there.

Just been offered a job in Whitechapel, and was wondering, as it looked a bit of a shit tip tbh, if anyone had any experience of what its like or tips on where to live close by instead? My knowledge of it so far is purely monopoly based.

Never lived in London or even spent more than the odd day there but if I take the job its gonna be at least a 3 year thing so I want to move down an get settled. Don't want a long commute as I'm a lazy bastard.

Wankhole of a place if you go west you're in central london you won't be able to afford to live there. North and East towards Tower Hamlets fuck me, complete wankholes, I'd be depressed if I had to live there, I honestly would. People are cunts, 60% ethnic round there and it's just fuckin horrible. I'd rather live in Sunderland or even Middlesbrough, straight up I would.

London is really well served by public transport and, depending where in Whitechapel area you're going to be working you've got a few decent options. The thing about London is there a really nice areas and then 100yds down the road it looks like a shit hole. Commuting in London is a piece of piss and it's weird how quickly you'll no longer see a 30 minute tube ride as a ballache, when if someone had said to you that work was 30 minutes on the train you'd wince at the image. Whitechapel is fairly close to Liverpool St and Aldgate (and more importantly Brick Lane and the decent curry house Bengal Village, Matt and Meenzer can attest to it's quality). That said, you could live anywhere in London and you'd not have a commute that's not too much of a ball ache imo. the places to really avoid are those not served by the tube. So Hackney, and the South East. Balham (south) to Camden Town (north) are within a 30 minute commute. The easiest way to work out where you want to live is to work what your budget is. If you're going to be on a decent monthly wage there are loads of areas offering something different. If you aren't going to be earning a lot, your options rapidly diminish (obviously). I used to share a house in East London (Leyton) and was spending about £450 a month on rent and bills, I'm now spending around £650 for the same but it's a much nicer area in South West London (Clapham). Mind you, I think you'd be lucky to get somewhere decent for less than £500 a month rent and bills these days. Also, the best way to keep bills down is to share them with others, (heating a house for one isn't proportionately more expensive than heating a house for one etc). sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

Sound advice. I now also consider myself lucky as I pay less than £500! :first:

London is really well served by public transport and, depending where in Whitechapel area you're going to be working you've got a few decent options. The thing about London is there a really nice areas and then 100yds down the road it looks like a shit hole. Commuting in London is a piece of piss and it's weird how quickly you'll no longer see a 30 minute tube ride as a ballache, when if someone had said to you that work was 30 minutes on the train you'd wince at the image. Whitechapel is fairly close to Liverpool St and Aldgate (and more importantly Brick Lane and the decent curry house Bengal Village, Matt and Meenzer can attest to it's quality). That said, you could live anywhere in London and you'd not have a commute that's not too much of a ball ache imo. the places to really avoid are those not served by the tube. So Hackney, and the South East. Balham (south) to Camden Town (north) are within a 30 minute commute. The easiest way to work out where you want to live is to work what your budget is. If you're going to be on a decent monthly wage there are loads of areas offering something different. If you aren't going to be earning a lot, your options rapidly diminish (obviously). I used to share a house in East London (Leyton) and was spending about £450 a month on rent and bills, I'm now spending around £650 for the same but it's a much nicer area in South West London (Clapham). Mind you, I think you'd be lucky to get somewhere decent for less than £500 a month rent and bills these days. Also, the best way to keep bills down is to share them with others, (heating a house for one isn't proportionately more expensive than heating a house for one etc). sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

Sound advice. I now also consider myself lucky as I pay less than £500! :first:

Where are you living though, is it Lewisham? I hear the locals are quite predatory around there...

Where are you living though, is it Lewisham? I hear the locals are quite predatory around there...

Oi. :razz:

Whitechapel's dead well connected really, making it easy to get away from. I'd say this is a good thing. There's the recently opened Overground, so (as Matt says) you could live up in Highbury or even down in my neck of the woods, south of the river, where there are some pretty decent neighbourhoods in Brockley and Forest Hill and the like. All depends how much you want to spend on rent really, but you're still talking no more than a 20-minute commute (say) on fairly nice new trains compared with the District and Hammersmith & City lines. Either way, I wouldn't particularly want to live around Whitechapel itself, no.

Mind, in terms of places nearer to Whitechapel, there's some alright parts of Shoreditch and Hoxton as long as you don't mind being surrounded by trendy wankers. And the old part of Wapping by the Thames has a lot of character and some nice pubs too.

I'd ignore fish's advice. The tube is the worst thing about living in London. My days of commuting from clapham still haunt me. Used to have to wait for three trains often before being able to get one only to stand for half an hour with your face in someone's armpit. The train is so much more civilised. You often get a seat, you can open the window and you don't get stuck for long periods underground.

I'd get a place in shoreditch and walk to work. Or try Dalston or Stoke Newington. Both cool areas that are close by

London is really well served by public transport and, depending where in Whitechapel area you're going to be working you've got a few decent options. The thing about London is there a really nice areas and then 100yds down the road it looks like a shit hole. Commuting in London is a piece of piss and it's weird how quickly you'll no longer see a 30 minute tube ride as a ballache, when if someone had said to you that work was 30 minutes on the train you'd wince at the image.

Whitechapel is fairly close to Liverpool St and Aldgate (and more importantly Brick Lane and the decent curry house Bengal Village, Matt and Meenzer can attest to it's quality). That said, you could live anywhere in London and you'd not have a commute that's not too much of a ball ache imo. the places to really avoid are those not served by the tube. So Hackney, and the South East. Balham (south) to Camden Town (north) are within a 30 minute commute.

The easiest way to work out where you want to live is to work what your budget is. If you're going to be on a decent monthly wage there are loads of areas offering something different. If you aren't going to be earning a lot, your options rapidly diminish (obviously).

I used to share a house in East London (Leyton) and was spending about £450 a month on rent and bills, I'm now spending around £650 for the same but it's a much nicer area in South West London (Clapham). Mind you, I think you'd be lucky to get somewhere decent for less than £500 a month rent and bills these days. Also, the best way to keep bills down is to share them with others, (heating a house for one isn't proportionately more expensive than heating a house for one etc).

sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

where do you live in Clapham Fish?

London is a wankhole unless you've got money to live somewhere nice. Proper rat race.

The thing is though that even the really nice expensive places have shitholes just around the corner - it's pretty integrated. Black, white, poor, rich all live side by side

Just wondering because I grew up round there...lovely area bar the Saffa / Aussie scumbags down O Neils on a Saturday night

oh aye, some decent pubs, like King's Head (old Grey Goose), The Sun, The Calf, The Falcon etc. Decent restaurants and stuff too.

Just have to avoid O'Neills, Bison & Bird and the Alexandra

• 2 weeks later...

All good advice actually thanks, I've found most 'where to live in London' websites a bit scared to offend anywhere so their advice just becomes a bit samey for each area.

Definitely gonna commute from somewhere a bit nicer I've decided depending on finding a decent place that I can just about afford. Lifes too short to live somewhere I'm probably gonna end up hating for the sake of saving a bit of money on rent. I'll just have to cut down on my faberge's.

All good advice actually thanks, I've found most 'where to live in London' websites a bit scared to offend anywhere so their advice just becomes a bit samey for each area.

Definitely gonna commute from somewhere a bit nicer I've decided depending on finding a decent place that I can just about afford. Lifes too short to live somewhere I'm probably gonna end up hating for the sake of saving a bit of money on rent. I'll just have to cut down on my faberge's.

Couple of things,

Oyster card is a must,

A bike is useful

get the Tube-Exits iPhone app

:aye:

Have had to go there several times with work. Have been all over the city but this is the only tube station I've come out of where there's a permanent "Warning muggers operate in this area" sign hanging above the entrance.

As others have said it's well connected but living there? No thanks.

Have had to go there several times with work. Have been all over the city but this is the only tube station I've come out of where there's a permanent "Warning muggers operate in this area" sign hanging above the entrance.

As others have said it's well connected but living there? No thanks.

I know it's not a good thing, but just for balance there's plenty of those signs all over London.