Jocky Wilson

Christmas Tree

Gone to the great oche in the sky.

Still remember that time Dexys Midnight Runners played Jackie Wilson Said on Top of the Pops, with a picture of Jocky in the background :bunny:

l.jpg

Edited by Sonatine

Along with John Lowe, Eric Bristow and Keith Deller, Jocky Wilson was a bit of a ledge in our house when I was a kid due to my dad's love of darts. Thought he was older than 62 though! RIP.

I watched that edition of top of the pops :lol:

He was interviewed once and was asked what he does to control his nerves. He replied "I drink pints of vodka".When they banned drinking from live televised tournaments he, along with most of the greats Cat mentions, was finsihed in the erm "sport". He's dead at 62, and as somebody else said its a fuckin miracle he got to that age. RIP Jocky, Lang Toun legend.

Gone to the great oche in the sky.

Still remember that time Dexys Midnight Runners played Jackie Wilson Said on Top of the Pops, with a picture of Jocky in the background :bunny:

l.jpg

Yeah, it's what I was alluding to :lol:. I'm old enough to remember watching that too......

He was a short obese man who smoked and drank like there was no tomorrow. Hard as nails to make it to 62 with his lifestyle.

is this Jocky Wilson the "pop" singer or Jackie Wilson the athletic sportsman ?

Jocky on the oche. Only certain snooker players like Bill Werbienek (sp?) could have rivalled Jocky in alcohol consumption whilst playing their sport at the highest level. I don't see Bolt downing 20 pints with a few vodka "steadiers" and running 100m under 10 seconds. In fact thinking about it Jocky may be one of the greatest athletes the world has ever seen.

Jocky on the oche. Only certain snooker players like Bill Werbienek (sp?) could have rivalled Jocky in alcohol consumption whilst playing their sport at the highest level. I don't see Bolt downing 20 pints with a few vodka "steadiers" and running 100m under 10 seconds. In fact thinking about it Jocky may be one of the greatest athletes the world has ever seen.

aye, he used to sprint 50 yards in 75 seconds in his prime without spilling a drop.

aye, he used to sprint 50 yards in 75 seconds in his prime without spilling a drop.

:lol:

and he was only a wee man. Years of dedication and a constitution of iron, Scottish survival of the fittest in action

:lol:

and he was only a wee man. Years of dedication and a constitution of iron, Scottish survival of the fittest in action

aye. RIP

Two days before Christmas in 1995, Jocky Wilson, one of the most colourful characters ever to play darts, twice world champion and a working-class hero to millions, said farewell to the sport. On a wet Tyneside morning, he and his wife, Malvina, left their home in Wallsend with a couple of suitcases and got a bus to Kirkcaldy, Fife, where Jocky was born. Ill with diabetes and pulmonary problems, he then lived as a recluse, seeing a few friends and granting a handful of interviews. In these, he always said that he had brought most of his problems on himself.

http://www.guardian....wilson-obituary

RIP indeed. I hope they're not cremating him, that's all I'm saying.

Why not? They'll be able to power the crematers for a full year on the fumes that'll linger.....

RIP - part of 80s sporting folklore.

RIP indeed. I hope they're not cremating him, that's all I'm saying.

Why not? They'll be able to power the crematers for a full year on the fumes that'll linger.....

RIP - part of 80s sporting folklore.

I'm thinking Fukishima when they turn the burners on. Anyway RIP

Two days before Christmas in 1995, Jocky Wilson, one of the most colourful characters ever to play darts, twice world champion and a working-class hero to millions, said farewell to the sport. On a wet Tyneside morning, he and his wife, Falkland , left their home in Wallsend with a couple of suitcases and got a bus to Kirkcaldy, Fife, where Jocky was born. Ill with diabetes and pulmonary problems, he then lived as a recluse, seeing a few friends and granting a handful of interviews. In these, he always said that he had brought most of his problems on himself.

http://www.guardian....wilson-obituary

FYP