Team Negative

Guest CabayeAye

Ill kick this one off then.

Dont know where else to put it, this seems a fitting thread.

I think we could be doing better with someone else than Good`ol Alan in charge :lol:

He got a world class striker in and decided to hoy ben arfa on for the lulz, and behold, we start winning matches.

It is a mystery!

Im not calling for his head, we are doing great - but its largely down to the players.

I think with a more offensive-minded coach we would be dominating to a much larger degree instead of scraping wins left and right.

Dont get me wrong, scrapey 3-points is something Ill take all day long, but its very much due to individual brilliance.

I wont take anything away from pardew. Top Job. But I think with a proper coach we could properly ravage like. We have brilliant players!

Its just my opinion, we are not that good at build-up play, today the game had 0-0 or worse written all over it until Hatem Ben Messi decided enough was enough.

Swansea we had what, 20% posession. We rely too much on individual brilliance and need better build-up play.

By scraping wins I mean not controlling the game at all, I dont mind it - dont get me wrong.

But in a longer perspective we need to work on this too. And its a bit lacking.

Its just my opinion, we are not that good at build-up play, today the game had 0-0 or worse written all over it until Hatem Ben Messi decided enough was enough.

Swansea we had what, 20% posession. We rely too much on individual brilliance and need better build-up play.

By scraping wins I mean not controlling the game at all, I dont mind it - dont get me wrong.

So that's 2 games we've not controlled but have got wins. We've controlled plenty of games prior to them though. We finished with much more than 20% possession for the record at Swansea (IIRC), that was just a stat at one point in the game. Either way we invited their pressure, we invited them to have the ball and pass it sideways because a) we are and were good enough to just catch them on the break, B) we knew they're pretty poor when they get into the final third and that we could cope with them (hence most of their shots being tame long range efforts) and c) we were able to conserve energy in both that match and for the one after it.

Today was a poor, tired performance against a team fighting for their lives who've played well as of late and we had the quality - like all good teams do - to win a game we performed not too impressively in.

Feels to me that you're exaggerating a bit, basing your reasoning on a selection of matches but not the entire season thus far.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

If its one worry I have had this season it is that we are unable to comfortably control a game for 90 minutes.

After the hoofing stopped it has gotten better, but we are still a bit off.

Laying low vs swansea is acceptable to an extent, but we need to develop our own dominating way of playing matches, we cant rely on catching every team on the break.

Defensively we are sound even with a weak defense, but the link-up and build-up leaves alot to be desired.

There are massive improvements to be had in that area, which is encouraging when you think about the fact that we are 5th already.

Managers will always polarize opinion, I dont think pardew is the perfect fit for us long-term, but all things into consideration he is perhaps the best we can hope for.

So that's 2 games we've not controlled but have got wins. We've controlled plenty of games prior to them though. .

This I disagree with. we have alot of positives to build on from this season, but controlling matches is not one of them.

Getting alot of matches were things looked bleak, that on the other hand... often due to individual brilliance.

Fair enough I guess, and to each their own, but well... who cares - for now - as long as we're winning matches and riding high in the league table.

Rather win 2 games 1-0, than win one 6-0 and draw the other.

Yes but I am not saying I would rather have a win and a draw rather than two 1-0 wins.

Ill take any win all day, I am just advocating my view that long-term, keeping posession and dominating play has a tendency to be the recipe most top teams seem to adapt.

I struggle to think of a team who has had long-term success ( read: more than one season) by countering other teams... eventually you get found out.

Got to question how much enjoyment you get out of supporting a club tbh.

Got to question how much enjoyment you get out of supporting a club tbh.

why? Because I constantly want us to improve instead of thinking everything is perfect?

I see potential improvement in several areas of our game, just calling it as I see it.

I dont enjoy it any less, I just have this idea of how I would like us to play ( and what I think would be most successful)

There have been a few games this season where we've got say a 2 goal lead in the first half and not gone on to score a couple more just to make things comfortable, but I'm not bothered as long as not getting said goals doesn't result in dropped points (Wolves at home being the match that annoyed me most).

One thing I notice is that without Tiote, no one is dropping in to help move the ball out from defence which puts a lot of pressure on our defenders as they don't have as many passing options...

Pardew would've learned from today that 4-4-2 is a load of shite and will go back to 4-3-3 for Stoke

This thread needs quotes ;)

And Team Negative needs a spin off team ultra negative for posters still unhappy with the manner of clawing back 4th who want Pardew sacked and Ba in the reserves for not dancing a jig off the pitch.

Edited by Happy Face

Pardews only problem has been trying to discover his best formation and the best personnel to play that system.

Without doubt IMO our best formation is 433 and we play it best and control games when Tiote Cabaye and Guthrie are the middle three.

It's that simple.

Pardews only problem has been trying to discover his best formation and the best personnel to play that system.

Without doubt IMO our best formation is 433 and we play it best and control games when Tiote Cabaye and Guthrie are the middle three.

It's that simple.

Depends on the personnel and the opposition. We tried 433 earlier in the season and we were shite. I think Pardew has said how pleased he is we can switch to and from it at will depending on how things are going.