Fuck off Titanic

Gemmill

Sick of hearing about this shite. The "relatives" that never even knew the people that died forcing out tears on the telly. Heading out to the wreck site talking about how emotional it all is. Shut the fuck up man.

Also, how long did this fucking thing take to sink. Cos they've been commemorating for about a month now, I'm sure.

Edited by Gemmill

A bloke I work with had his grandfather and great uncle on there, both deep below decks....grandad survived, great uncle didnt.

He tried to get into the big commemoration last Monday at Town Dock in Southampton where it sailed from 100 years ago to the day only to be told it was VIPs and invited guests only! It was staged in a multi millon pund new mueseum dedicated to the disaster (keep buying those scratchcards folks!).....so he went to the other side of Southampton Water at Woolston to watch the proceedings, which consisted of a recording of the ship's horn blowing...it was the actual Titianic's horn as well, honest guv....he ended up going to the pub.

As a bit of social history its quite interesting (500 crew were recruited from Southampton, not many came back, see above) but a cruise out to the wreck site and getting misty eyed when it stopped off at Cobh in Ireland etc etc...more professional shroud waving/pro-celebrity competative grieveing for something most people have little or no connnection with. 21st century UK at its finest.

Aye I wondered what the criteria was for picking people involved in the commemoration, and who could travel on this boat etc. Sounds like your mate didn't make the grade!

Don't get us wrong, I was fascinated by the story as a kid, and the fact that this luxury liner lies at the bottom of the ocean etc, and if somebody does a decent one or two hour documentary as part of the celebrations, I'll be well up for it. But they're making such a fucking meal of it. Some yank woman relative on the news this morning was sat listening to a recording and blinking about 30 times a second in a desperate attempt to get the tear ducts firing. I don't expect you to cry ffs.

I think the cruise on the Balmoral is for paying customers only....as you say my mate "Pete the pipey" possibly wasn't the image the mueseum folk were looking for :D

His relatives were "trimmers", who were one down the social scale from the stokers....trimmers shovelled the coal into wheelbarrows, then wheeled it to the stokers who shoved it into the furnaces. Anyone working in IT fancy a go at that gig?

Will I go to prison if I tweet this:

@TitanicRealTime There is a drifter on board sketching nude portraits of a 17 year old female passenger. Have alerted NYPD. Jack Dawson will wish he drowned at sea by the time the authorities are done with him.

I got family in Cobh and although the town itself has benefitted from being stowed off for the last fortnight (It has had the Titanic Trail up and running for years) My cousin runs the Cobh Rowing Club which is based smack in the centre of the Town and basically gives the local youth 'something to do' but with an opportunity to fundraise when the town was as busy as it is ever likey to be the local council said 'no' They wanted to hawk sites to outsiders for 400e per day while local charities where told they would be prosecuted. Horrible bastards.

AND, why the fuck are the twats in Northern Ireland celebrating the fact they built a ship that never reached its journeys end and sank on its first (and only) trip? I'd be hiding with shame. Best shipyard in the world they tell you .....

Will I go to prison if I tweet this:

@TitanicRealTime There is a drifter on board sketching nude portraits of a 17 year old female passenger. Have alerted NYPD. Jack Dawson will wish he drowned at sea by the time the authorities are done with him.

You must do this.

Also later on: "had man, some heed the ball is going radge with a pistol".

Apparently there was a crewman who died called J Dawson, he has a gravestone in the official cemetery in Newfoundland. Tourists visit his grave thinking it's Jack Dawson from the film and leave tributes and messages, and take away grass clippings as a memento. Stupid bastards. J Dawson was actually an Irish carpenter called Joseph Dawson who worked as a trimmer (see post #5 above)....so he probably knew Pete the Pipey's relative...unless it actually was his relative!

Read the breakdown of survivor/death rates by ticket class the other day. Surprise, surprise most of the rich got to the lifeboats and most of the steerage died.

Read the breakdown of survivor/death rates by ticket class the other day. Surprise, surprise most of the rich got to the lifeboats and most of the steerage died.

I expect the cheaper the ticket, the deeper below decks you had to go

I wonder how much the tragedy/grief industry is worth annually?

It's a shame the ship wasn't built in Liverpool, really :calmdown:

No football games on the dates of the duration of the voyage