If we finish in the top 4.....

Dr Gloom

Just a pre-emptive strike at any argument that may surface next season if we're in a lower position on the table. It would be easy to blame it on Europe, but realistically we've overachieved this season.

It's fantastic, don't get me wrong.

I think we've performed at our level all season. We've beaten the teams we should beat and we've struggled against sides above us. What's placed us where we are is the under-performance of Liverpool and Chelsea (amongst others). I'll still be happy if we were to finish 6th next season as while it's important to enjoy the here and now, it's also is worthwhile to keep an eye on the trend. We are improving and when we reach our natural apex, it will be the tough job of remaining there that occupies us.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have no right to be where we are with our defense. Simpson and Williamson are barely good enough for the bench.

We did have quite a bit of luck first 10 games though, there is no way around it. Came away with probably 8-9 points more than what we really deserved.

Yes and they all fell away again the following season. So if you're okay with that, that's fine we can enjoy it as a holiday and I'll expect you to say no more about it when we fall away again slightly the following season.

If you want to keep up there though (as a priority) that may require spend. Given the way the club is run, this will (rightly) need to be paid for out of Euro money accrued and sustained in following seasons through future Euro monies. Ergo there will be a financial pressure to qualify again. So what i'm saying is even if the papers highlight this, it's not scaremongering, it's just a reality.

We need to deal with realities by the way. We move forward as a club far better when we do that, rather than playing head-in-the-sand fantasy chequebook fotball.

Tbh Leazes, its good to see a climb down at last on your part when facts like this are pointed out to you. I mean you can continue to point a finger to the future and sound a cautionary note, I don't think anyone whos been following NUFC for any appreciable length of time would argue with that, but of course when your manifesto has been at it's most robust, you've said verbatim that we are set up as a selling club and turning a profit on a player is the sole motivation/business model. Well four of the last five windows where that's not happened would represent absolutely appalling business from MA if that was indeed his focus, being as he's a market stall billionaire. And the one where it did turn a (freakish) profit you had respected private North East businessmen and genuine football people saying they'd have done the same. So I think we can finally put some of your more extreme stuff to bed as claptrap at least.

I'm saying what I've always said, its only people who had their heads up their arse about the old regime that couldn't read what I've been saying properly.

You had your chance to admit that what you have rubbished for so long, wasn't in fact rubbish at all.......shame you couldn't do it, and still can't it would appear.

If you can't do that, carry on ignoring me like you say you are doing, so I don't have anything to respond to you, it's better that way.

Edited by LeazesMag

We have no right to be where we are with our defense. Simpson and Williamson are barely good enough for the bench.

We did have quite a bit of luck first 10 games though, there is no way around it. Came away with probably 8-9 points more than what we really deserved.

The defence are protected though with genuine DM's. That's something that NUFC have never done previously and it makes a diference. It's a team game. If you've followed NUFC for any length of time you'd know how we usually just buy expensive defenders and let opponents run at them for the entire game until they don't look like expensive defenders anymore.

Serious teams have midfielders to break up play and protect their back four.

Spurs defence contains Walker (shite) and Assou Ekotto (massively overated) but they have Palker running around like a gimp all day breaking play up for them and they benefit from that.

The opening game argument is shameful craic now tbh and pisses all over what this team has achieved. No time for it at all.

I think Simpson and Williamson are both average premier league defenders. Simpson has certainly improved this season. He's uncomplicated and still is caught on his heels too often for my liking, but the only way he'll improve that is with more games. There' is no value is selling him as the funds it would take to replace him will not be recouped from his sale. I think he's a dependable player and certainly doesn't have me reaching for the shotgun and vicadin if ever I see his name on the teamsheet.

Williamson is ok and has been good in the last few games, but yeah, we need to improve on him. Too slow and prone to grabbing in the box. If it's true that we're signing this Douglas bloke I'll be happy to have S.Taylor as back up centre half and Williamson a distant fourth, but that's as close as he gets to next years squad, for me.

Robert Lee and Gary Speed were 2 of the best all round attacking and defensive box to box midfield men NUFC have had in over 40 years, protecting the back 4 and supporting the forwards in their different ways. Just thought I would point that out.

Clarence Acuna and David Batty were also rather good at the defensive midfleld role too.

Edited by LeazesMag

I think we've performed at our level all season. We've beaten the teams we should beat and we've struggled against sides above us. What's placed us where we are is the under-performance of Liverpool and Chelsea (amongst others). I'll still be happy if we were to finish 6th next season.

6th next season would be a great result. I would agree for the most part with what you've said - our overachievement in the league has been aided by Liverpool's embarrassing season, Chelsea's stop start performances and Tottenham's spectacular collapse.

We've really benefitted from the fantastic goal scorers we've now got - not just up front but the likes of Cabaye and Ben Arfa providing some scoring punch from midfield is something we've lacked since Speed (Nolan played in a second strikers position for the most part). Goals win games.

Correct Leazes, midfield players who are very good all rounders are a rarity in these FM literate times, but we've got Cabaye who can play sublime passes like he did on Saturday, and also kick the shit out of Bardsley in the derby last August. Truly the heir to Lee and Speed

Spurs defence contains Walker (shite) and Assou Ekotto (massively overated) but they have Palker running around like a gimp all day breaking play up for them and they benefit from that.

Still alot better than Simpson and Williamson who both barely manage to string a pass together if you ask them to do anything other than defending.

In our entire starting XI those are the two players I want replaced, I hope Alan and Mike sees it that way too. On the bench if that makes them any happier, but just off the pitch.

Mancy, how come Scot Parker couldn't stop runners making Bramble and Boumsong look like pub team players when he was here?! :)

Parker's had a great season tbf. You'll have to remind me who he was playing for when he was here and what was going on, perhaps the difference is he's had his best spell playing for a club that's set up properly and he respects. Shocking theory I grant you.

Still alot better than Simpson and Williamson who both barely manage to string a pass together if you ask them to do anything other than defending.

In our entire starting XI those are the two players I want replaced, I hope Alan and Mike sees it that way too. On the bench if that makes them any happier, but just off the pitch.

I'm not denying we need to strengthen in defence. I agree if we want to push on. I actually take comfort from the fact that this 'ingredient' isn't remotely a conundrum.

To say we dont deserve to be where we are now after 34 games though is something else altogether and a complete piss take.

I'm saying what I've always said, its only people who had their heads up their arse about the old regime that couldn't read what I've been saying properly.

People have moved on from the 'old regime' and any comparisons are pointless and a waste of time. That's before you even consider the change in the footballing climate that have recently come about.

As the saying goes you can't move forward if you keep looking back.

I enjoy reading your posts when you talk in real terms about what you want for the club now; the direction you think they should go in. It's reassuring to hear that you're out there enjoying games and planning trips abroad to continental Europe next season. Of that I'm incredibly jealous but it does serve to reconfirm that you're much more than a caricature. This can sometimes be lost in the muck.

People have moved on from the 'old regime' and any comparisons are pointless and a waste of time. That's before you even consider the change in the footballing climate that have recently come about.

As the saying goes you can't move forward if you keep looking back.

I enjoy reading your posts when you talk in real terms about what you want for the club now; the direction you think they should go in. It's reassuring to hear that you're out there enjoying games and planning trips abroad to continental Europe next season. Of that I'm incredibly jealous but it does serve to reconfirm that you're much more than a caricature. This can sometimes be lost in the muck.

fair enough, and thank you for that. I think it's highly amusing that some people are now saying what I've been saying for years is now the way forward, but rubbished it when I have said the same thing for so long. Why they rubbished it is something only they know I suppose, but they would have a little credibility if they at least admitted it rather than pretending they are some sort of wise and knowledgeable expert who has just discovered something new that nobody has ever thought of before.

Parker turned down champs lge football with Everton to come here because we paid him 70k a week. Maybe he's moved on a bit as a person now but that doesn't show him in the best light. And working for Souness and Roeder would hardly be inspiring. He couldn't play a ball like Cabayae did at the weekend though if his life depended on it. Not many others could either.

Parker didn't settle here because his wife refused to move up here. Plain and simple. He spent his entire NUFC career living in the Malmaison on the Quayside - hardly a sign of someone who wanted to stick around.

If NUFC was by the Thames rather than the Tyne, he would probably still be here now.

Kyle Walker and Benoit Assou-Ekotto are both cracking full backs.

Santon may turn into something better, but right now, I'd happily swap them for our two.

Walker in particular is brilliant.

Both very solid players, yep. Id have either over Santon in a heartbeat.

Parker turned down champs lge football with Everton to come here because we paid him 70k a week. Maybe he's moved on a bit as a person now but that doesn't show him in the best light. And working for Souness and Roeder would hardly be inspiring. He couldn't play a ball like Cabayae did at the weekend though if his life depended on it. Not many others could either.

maybe so, I don't put him up with the Robert Lee's though and never have anyway. The only comparsion is they both played for Charlton. How he is in the team of the season or won the Player of the year award last season is totally beyond me.

Parker didn't settle here because his wife refused to move up here. Plain and simple. He spent his entire NUFC career living in the Malmaison on the Quayside - hardly a sign of someone who wanted to stick around.

I

correct. This didn't help him at all.

fair enough, and thank you for that. I think it's highly amusing that some people are now saying what I've been saying for years is now the way forward, but rubbished it when I have said the same thing for so long. Why they rubbished it is something only they know I suppose, but they would have a little credibility if they at least admitted it rather than pretending they are some sort of wise and knowledgeable expert who has just discovered something new that nobody has ever thought of before.

:lol: What a cunt.

I'd happily keep Santon and have a tilt at what comes in during the summer over Walker and Assou-Ekotto. Got to aim higher tbh.

PS if Kyle Walker is "brilliant" then English national football has an horrendous future. Which is probably true.