Living in London

Kevin S. Assilleekunt

That's not my experience at all. I've been here 12 years and haven't experienced that at all. In fact, I've only been conscious of racism when I go to places like Leeds, Liverpool and Scotland (I don't come across it on trips back to Newcastle).

I suppose it depends on who you mix with.

As for London having a "massive racism problem", that is just utter bollocks, I reckon I might have picked up on it in the last 12 years if that was the case.

You're the first person I've seen even deny it. Just last week MY BOSS said to me "he's a fowk and spoon aint e?". I've been in and around London since 1988, seen it loads.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're the first person I've seen even deny it. Just last week MY BOSS said to me "he's a fowk and spoon aint e?". I've been in and around London since 1988, seen it loads.

Well I'm the second person then. Been living here 12 years too and I've yet to see the sort of thing you're talking about. That's not to say there arent racist tools here, like in every town. But if anything I'd say the capital's multiculturalism makes people less prejudiced. There's less of a fear of the unknown down here than in places where ethnic minorities make up a small minority of the population. People of all races live side by side and by and large, get on.

Well I'm the second person then. Been living here 12 years too and I've yet to see the sort of thing you're talking about. That's not to say there arent racist tools here, like in every town. But if anything I'd say the capital's multiculturalism makes people less prejudiced. There's less of a fear of the unknown down here than in places where ethnic minorities make up a small minority of the population. People of all races live side by side and by and large, get on.

Couldn't disagree more. I've had this discussion with my sister many times who's lived there since 88.

Where I live is probably about 50-60 per cent white. I used to live in Brixton, where whites are in the minority. I've yet to see any racism of any form. And yet when I go home, old mates are on about darkies and pakis and no one bats an eyelid. That's not saying they're racist. It's just that in my experience it's more acceptable to make generalisations about a minority group when it's a small minority. You tend to notice people more when they stand out for being different. People tend not to give a fuck down here because we all live alongside each other. Though obviously there might be some parts of town where I dont go where there might be more of a problem.

Does your boss generally get on with folk from a different ethnic background on a professional basis Stevie?...seeing as you're in recruitment if he doesnt then he's probably breaking the law.

Thats what the Doc means I think....I know loads who would say something like your boss did, but when it comes down to it they dont have a fundamental problem with folks of a different skin colour. Rightly or wrongly, thats the way a lot of folk are. Whether that actually makes them "prejudiced" as you highlighted is another question. For me though your boss is on rocky ground talking about folk like that in your game, privately or not.

Casual everyday racism or prejudice is pretty commonplace all over the UK iyam. Not sure if that means those who do are racist either. Tricky one, like Big Ron being a pioneer for black players in the 70s then saying that about Desailly. Two sides to it. Horrible, hateful thing to say, but the likes of Batson still regard him as a friend and mentor.

Where I live is probably about 50-60 per cent white. I used to live in Brixton, where whites are in the minority. I've yet to see any racism of any form. And yet when I go home, old mates are on about darkies and pakis and no one bats an eyelid. That's not saying they're racist. It's just that in my experience it's more acceptable to make generalisations about a minority group when it's a small minority. You tend to notice people more when they stand out for being different. People tend not to give a fuck down here because we all live alongside each other. Though obviously there might be some parts of town where I dont go where there might be more of a problem.

Brixton's one place where you're not gonna find people wearing

tumblr_lmg10vvS1U1qjjxxno1_500.jpg

London's definitely more racist than Grimsby (possibly the whitest place in the UK :lol:). There seems to be an underlying tension between many groups of locals whoch I guess goes unnoticed when you're not new to it.

Its hard to describe a city like London in sweeping terms. I used to knock about with some dodgy lads who in turn knocked about with ex-cons and dealers from the estates and they were either mates with everyone irrespective of colour or a complete racist. In that lower tier of society, which makes up a vast percentage of Londoners, experience is everything for their attitudes. The kids who grew up with some multi-cultural elements in their life would be sound on that front, the kids that didnt would be racist cunts. I used to know a lot of toe-rags from round Kentish town, Holloway etc and some of them were horribly racist.

In my corporate middle class bubble, every cunt was too scared to have an opinion nevermind be racist but i found that many harboured racist views when their guard was down or they were drunk enough not to care. Not sure its possible to make any form of true generalisation from my own experiences though. Thats why social scientists conduct surveys. I think the point that Stevie is making is the vociferousness with which views are held is different. More people might inappropriately refer to someone as a darky in the north east but more hatefulness exists down south. In my view anyway.

The demographic of the area will dictate the level of racism within it to some extent. So if you have an area where there are many different ethnic communities, there will be more racial tension as a result. That's one factor. For instance, where I live there are hardly any immigrants. According to the census from a few years back, Warrington is 98% white and 85% christian. Those figures feel fairly accurate, having lived here for a prolonged period. You still hear people saying, "too many immigrants now, taking our jobs, can't bloody move for the bastards," etc, but they are just regurgitating bile they have picked up elsewhere, and it is probably a combination of low intelligence and the frustration of living in one of the dullest places on earth manifesting itself into inordinate whinging.

In an inner city with different ethnic groups there is far more potential for racism and racial tension, but there is also the possibility of interracial gangbangs.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

Its hard to describe a city like London in sweeping terms. I used to knock about with some dodgy lads who in turn knocked about with ex-cons and dealers from the estates and they were either mates with everyone irrespective of colour or a complete racist. In that lower tier of society, which makes up a vast percentage of Londoners, experience is everything for their attitudes. The kids who grew up with some multi-cultural elements in their life would be sound on that front, the kids that didnt would be racist cunts. I used to know a lot of toe-rags from round Kentish town, Holloway etc and some of them were horribly racist.

In my corporate middle class bubble, every cunt was too scared to have an opinion nevermind be racist but i found that many harboured racist views when their guard was down or they were drunk enough not to care. Not sure its possible to make any form of true generalisation from my own experiences though. Thats why social scientists conduct surveys. I think the point that Stevie is making is the vociferousness with which views are held is different. More people might inappropriately refer to someone as a darky in the north east but more hatefulness exists down south. In my view anyway.

Excellent post, by far more vociferous. Four or five of the people I was referring to are from places like Bexleyheath and Swanley, which are much more white than say Lewisham or Tottenham. Swanley actually has or had elected BNP councillors.

• 10 months later...

Going to a house party on friday night where the theme is tube stations.

Is it acceptable to wear the Arsenal shirt I got for free when I went to Arsenal v Udinese (hospitality tickets) so I can go as Arsenal?

just dress up as a massive lifesize cock and go as shoreditch