Water

JawD

From bbc

Standpipes could be needed in the streets next year if England endures another dry winter, the environment secretary has suggested.

Caroline Spelman said the UK would have to look at other ways to supply water if shortages continued.

Large parts of England are in drought, despite recent wet weather.

Mrs Spelman said: "Whereas it's most unlikely we'd have standpipes this year, if we have another dry winter that becomes more likely."

Standpipes have not been ruled out as a possibility next year

'Very bad place'

Adrian McDonald, a professor of environmental management at the University of Leeds, said it was hard to predict what would happen if the UK had a third dry winter but he agreed standpipes could be used.

He said: "It's difficult to say but we'd be in a very bad place.

"You would be expecting measures to try and conserve water that would be quite dramatic.

"There would be standpipes in the streets, people's water supply would be cut off and they'd have to take buckets and containers down to those standpipes."

The South West, Midlands, East Anglia, the South East, South and East Yorkshire remain in drought.

Meanwhile, temporary-use bans for customers of seven water companies remain in the South East and East of England.

A spokesman for the Environment Agency (EA) said as a result of recent rain, soil moisture deficits had decreased in all regions, with river flows normal for the time of year at over half their indicator sites.

But groundwater levels remain low and, the spokesman said, as spring becomes summer, most of the rain that falls either evaporates as temperatures rise or is taken up by plants as they grow.

Desalination option

Mrs Spelman told the BBC's Inside Out councils would have to consider whether new developments can be supplied with water when making planning decisions.

She said: "I think we need to look at a whole range of ways in which we can help to reduce demand for water and become more water efficient.

"One of the questions which has to be in councillors minds is 'Do we have enough water to supply this new development?'"

Trevor Bishop, head of water resources at the EA, is trying to find a way to reduce how much water is used in the UK.

One option is desalinisation - removing the salt from sea water to produce fresh water.

He said: "We've already got one big desalination plant near London and that's going to be really important for safeguarding supplies for London.

"I think the likelihood of seeing more desalination plants over the next 10 or 20 years in England is quite high - but you don't want to rely on desalination, it's very expensive, it produces a lot of carbon so that's not good for the environment."

He said another option was water companies moving water around the country to where it is needed.

---------------

We're an island where it pisses down all the time man :lol:

They can have some of the water that soaked my bedroom last night from the torrential rain coming in the open window.

We conserve water quite a bit, just by having habits that are meant to be good for saving water. The most controversial is not flushing after a piss which I think a few people do. The problem is that if we both have a few pisses before having a shit, the conundrum becomes when to flush. I will point out that we have a separate bog, it's not in the bathroom or anything. I find the idea of a place to shit and piss in the same place I wash a bit odd.

No way am I shitting into a piss filled bog. This all sounds like a lot of scare mongering. It's been pissing down plenty this year.

Edited by Gemmill

No way am I shitting into a piss filled bog. This all sounds like a lot of scare mongering. It's been pissing down plenty this year.

Same here mate, the thought of splash back from someone else's piss isn't a nice thought

Depends on the concentration of the piss.

If it's the first piss of the day then it's flushed. If we're talking crystal clear then it can hang around a bit.

You can also save a lot of water by pissing in the shower. ;)

Apparently, some people piss and shit in the same room they get washed too.

What a bizarre thing to say. You make it seem like people have a single appliance that multi-functions as a bog/bath/sink/shower.

Just because you have a fucking bidet doesn't mean you can swill wine and doff your beret at the rest of us. ;)

Use of the word 'room' in the sentence makes it sound like people have a single 'room' Brock.

I am just highlighting that the upper hand on hygiene is not held by a culture who shits next to a basin they brush their teeth in.

Flushing after every piss is a bad waste of water.

As ignorant and selfish as this may seen, I'm only interested in the North East, it doesn't mention that our water supplies or levels are struggling. It makes you wonder how warmer places cope, like the South or France, Italy and Spain. We're known globally as a wet country these places aren't.